Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Andalucia Bullfight - September schedule (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/andalucia-bullfight-september-schedule-634765/)

Chels Jul 28th, 2006 11:43 AM

Andalucia Bullfight - September schedule

I will be in Spain from September 16 (arrival day)- September 24 (departure), and my sister is insisting on attending a bullfight. I know bullfights are held on Sundays in Madrid at that time period. However, our schedule would work out so much better if we could begin our trip in Andalucia and end in Madrid or bypass Madrid altogether. I cannot find any bullfights during that time frame in Andalucia. We will be based in Marbella and we will have a car, so any neighboring towns would be ok. Can anyone help?

Please - let's not start the debates re the bullfights. I personally am not interested in going, and perhaps my sister will convert after seeing one.

Thanks,
Chels

josele Jul 29th, 2006 02:49 PM

I cannot check at this moment, but I am sure that as soon as you arrive, you'll find the advertisements everywhere, and you'll be able to buy the tickets at the very ring.

funjione Jul 29th, 2006 04:10 PM

Check Ronda and Seville where they do have bullfights. Google "Bullfights in Spain" and you will find a lot of sites where you can even buy tickets.

Chels Jul 29th, 2006 04:42 PM

Thanks for the responses. Prior to posting, I had googled and done some research. I had found 1 bullfight in Seville, but I was hoping to find one closer to Marbella where we will be based. It seems that the smaller rings do not announce the fights this far in advance and/or their seasons are winding down. One of my sister's main desires is to see a bullfight, so I must have a concrete plan in place.

Thanks for responding, and if anyone hears of any other fights, please post for me!

Thanks,
Chels

moonchild Jul 30th, 2006 04:56 AM

Hi Chels: If you check www.andalucia.com and click on society and culture it will direct you to their bullfighting calendar.
Have a great trip.

PJI Jul 30th, 2006 05:53 AM

Might I suggest reading a book about bullfighting first? Maybe to pass the time on the plane. My husband read one (sorry, I can't remember the name) that described the rules and what things mean and the reasoning for certain acts, etc. He enjoyed them after that because he could really understand what was going on and why the Spanish were all booing or cheering, etc.

I personally don't enjoy them but do love to watch the people and their reactions and how serious of a sport this is to them and their culture. If the gore is too much for you, focus on the people, you'll still enjoy yourself. Oh, and bring a fan, all the ladies will have one and you'll be glad you did! (A hat, sunblock and water would also be advisable).

Enjoy your trip!

Chels Jul 31st, 2006 01:32 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Moonchild, I had previously found the andaluica.com website, and it has been extremely helpful (that is where I found my previous info re bullfight schedules). Thanks for the suggestion!

PJI, I will do some reading on the bullfights before I go. Thanks for the suggestions.

Best,
Chels

annhig Jul 31st, 2006 01:36 PM

Try James Mitchener's "Iberia" - there is a long section on bulls and bullfighting. [read vefore you go - it'll weigh too much to take with you as it's over 800 pages long] Also, of course, Hemmingway was a bullfighting fan.
Also, they are shown on TV! in Spain.
Do let us know how you get on.