Reload this Page >

Andalucia & the Coast: Shopping & Dining

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 11:10 AM
celeste

Per Maribel's suggestion, I am starting this new posting separate from Madrid: Dining & Shopping. Here you are Maribel. Let's start the ball rolling. For me I am interested to know unusual, only-available-here souvenirs from Andalucia and the coast at reasonable price. These are food (saffron, olive oil, rioja wine, vino del mar, sherry), fashion (pearl, shawl, scarf, jewelry) and ceramic tiles/plates (esp. blue/white/yellow combo). Please share your shooping bonanza. Thanks.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 01:06 PM
RBW

Sevilla had the most beautiful shoes, stylish, chic and buttery leather, for a fraction of what you'd pay in the US. Plus some truly unique touches. One store I can recommend is Ena de la Torre. They have 2 locations, only in Sevilla. Address: Plaza del Salvador 2 I love them!!! I wish I had know the olive oil tips a few weeks ago. We went to Baena and tried to find oil, but only found some in a supermercado form Cordoba. They did not carry "Aceite de Oliva de Baena" Oh well, maybe again some day!

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Deena

I bought a beautiful silk shawl in Seville. It is cream colored and has lovely cream colored embroidery on it. I have it draped over a wingback chair in my bedroom. In Granada, I purchased a lovely wooden marquetry inlaid table. It is very ornate. I had it shipped home. Think it cost about $400.00 delivered. I also bought four smaller inlaid boxes and brought them home as gifts.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Maribel

Hi Celeste and all, <BR>Here's my Seville shopping list: <BR> <BR>For silk hand embroidered shawls: "Feliciano Foronda" (Sierpes #67) or Alvarez Quintero #52) <BR> <BR>For fans: "Diaz" or "Casa Rubio" (pedestrian Calle Sierpes) <BR> <BR>For perfume/cologne: Jasmine scented "Agua de Sevilla" (Calle Rodrigo Caro #16-in the Barrio Santa Cruz) or "Carmen" by Victorio y Lucchino, at any perfumería. <BR> <BR>For pottery and tiles in Moorish and hunting motifs: "Cerámica Santa Ana" (San Jorge #31), across the Gualdalquivir in the Triana district. Also, others on Calle Alfarería (street of the potters) <BR> <BR>More ceramics: "Sevillarte", which has flowery, pastel designs on pedestrian Calle Sierpes #66; also "Martian" (Sierpes #74) <BR> <BR>For a set of English style bone china: "Pickman" (Isla de la Cartuja or at El Corte Inglés, Plaza Duque de la Victoria)-I find the brown/cream oriental design dull, but I do like their pastel (green/pink/cream) pattern. <BR> <BR>For Cordoban riding hats: "Maquedano" (Sierpes #44)-Spain’s best hat shop. <BR> <BR>For olive oils: "La Tienda del Aceite" (Calle García de Vinuesa #31) or in the "Club del Gourmet" of the El Corte Inglés <BR> <BR>For those gorgeous but expensive buttery leather bags and Hermes type scarves: "Loewe" (Plaza Nueva-also branch in Hotel Alfonso XIII) <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Maribel

My favorite Seville dining spots: <BR> <BR>"Egaña-Oriza" (San Fernando #41) attached to walls of Alcazar gardens, <BR>across from the Tobacco Factory of the opera Carmen fame-gorgeous conservatory d.rm, <BR>nice gourmet tapas at the bar-great people watching, Basque cuisine, <BR>chef-owner-classy-expensive but worth it. <BR> <BR>"La Taberna del Alabardero" (Zaragoza #20) More creative Basque cuisine on the 2nd floor of a pretty mansion (branches in Madrid/Puerto Banús/ D.C.)-can eat inexpensively at the bar/patio downstairs. Alas, just lost its Michelin star. <BR> <BR>"La Albahaca" (Plaza Santa Cruz-next to Los Gallos flamenco tablao)-pretty <BR>décor in an elegant townhouse in the heart of the Barrio de Santa Cruz <BR> <BR>"Corral del Agua" (Callejón del Agua-also in Santa Cruz, same owners, adjacent to <BR>Alcázar)-a bit "touristy"-patio filled with wishing wells, grape arbors and flickering lanterns-an oasis-nice garlic and almond soup ("ajo blanco") and shellfish soup ("zarzuela de mariscos")-menus in English <BR> <BR>Seville tapas bars: <BR> <BR>"Casablanca" (Zaragoza #50, near Plaza Nueva)-featured in Bon Apettite-fav of the <BR>King-impeccable tapas in little earthenware dishes. Stand at the tiny little bar, or reserve a day ahead for the d. rm. <BR> <BR> "Robles" (Placentines #2 near Casas de los Mercaderes hotel –up Calle Alvarez Quintero from Cathedral, bear right onto the Argote de Molina, then left on Placentines, on the left, pharmacy on corner). Family owned, popular tapas bar. Open daily, noon-2 a.m. <BR> <BR>"Modesto" (in Barrio de Santa Cruz near Jardines Murillo and the Casas de la Judería hotel-Cano y Cueto #5)-great fried fish -outdoor terrace always jam packed at night-the locals’ favorite-try the small clams steamed in garlic and white wine ("coquinas")-you’ll lap up the sauce! <BR> <BR>"Casa Román" ( Plaza de los Venerables)-for great "jamón" (better, IMO, than prosciutto) but go elsewhere for other tapas-in a delightful square in the <BR>heart of the Barrio Santa Cruz. <BR> <BR>"Hostería del Laurel" (next door to "Román")-Legendary local of Zorilla’s 19th c play, "Don Juan Tenorio". This is where the Latin Lothario bragged about his many conquests. Visitors love it; local food critics don't, but very atmospheric. You can have your drinks/tapas at both places at tables in the square; very romantic. <BR> <BR>"Albariza" (Betis #6)-across the Gualdalquivir river in the Triana district-chalk white walls and sherry casks as tables-have a glass of "manzanilla" sherry from San Lúcar-40 varieties of tapas- tiny lamb chops("chuletillas de cordero") or shrimp omelettes ("tortilla de camarones") or the jamón Jabugo, the beluga of Spanish cured hams-was just reviewed in NY Times <BR> <BR>Happy eating! <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 05:59 PM
celeste

Thank you all esp. Maribel. RBW, how was your trip. I remember you were on your way to Spain when I started posting for info specifically, the Madrid-Seville connection. How did you like your vacation? How did you finally connect to Seville? May we hear from you and any specific advise/comments? Thanks.