Andalucia 8 days itinerary

Old Jun 14th, 2024, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andalucia 8 days itinerary

We are flying to and from Malaga for 8 nights. Planning to spend 3 nights in Cadiz and 5 days by the beach area with the day trips to Ronda, Nerja, Malaga.

Trying to decide for those 5 days, what is better Marbella or Torremolinos. Will appreciate all advices, where is better dining and evening places to walk.

Many thanks for your help.
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 12:07 PM

Torremolinos is very "down market" in my eyes (having been there fairly recently, seeing that it was still exactly as I remembered it), ripe with low cost package tourism and ugly concrete block high-rises that blight the landscape.
I spent two summers there long ago as an au pair, and seriously, it hasn't changed at all having recently seen it.
I can't think of any great dining in Torremolinos. The dining would be mostly pub fare.

Marbella is completely different, ions apart from Torremolinos, with super luxury golf/spa hotels appealing to the ultra wealthy "jet set", such as the Marbella Club, Puente Romano, Nobu, Finca Cortesín (actually in Casares) and Villa Padierna (where Michelle Obama stayed) and the nearby super yacht harbour of Puerto Banus. A spot for the super luxury/famous faces set.

Better still, rather than choose from down market Torremolinos or ultra luxury, fashion crowd, celebrity-filled Marbella, why not just stay in Málaga, a lovely, well-manicured city filled with museums (30+), a Roman temple, the Alcazaba, an Arab castle (Gibralfaro) high above the city, a beautiful palm tree lined seafront promenade, incredibly pedestrian friendly with tons of plazas with outdoor cafés and great dining if one chooses well. We spent a very happy 4 nights there, once again, during (rainy) Holy Week, and I can assure you that there's fine dining in Málaga at different price points. I have a list.

Have a look at these report from a Fodorite's blog (just_tina) who has spent significant time in this lovely city.

https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspo...ip-report.html

https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspo...-31-ideas.html

Last edited by Maribel; Jun 14th, 2024 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2024, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your detailed responce.
Old Jun 15th, 2024, 03:49 PM

We will be there in Sept/October not a fan of the Costa Del Sol, don’t like cement high rises, British pubs, shops that sell Heinz baked beans ect….not my idea of Spain. Cadiz, yes, we start in September at Sanlucar then then to Zaharaha, Estopena and wrap up in Malaga. It’s the Atlantic and the waters are not as warm, but quaint villages, wide open beaches, very few “tourist restaurants “ and incredible fresh seafood. Just don’t see the attractions of the Costa Del Sol main cities
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 04:51 AM

And yes, aware that Estopena and Malaga are on the Costa Del Sol, but we are best return flight was from Malaga.
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 05:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what is better Marbella or Torremolinos
neither
Malaga is better
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 07:00 AM

What bilboburgler said, with a caveat for flower-filled Estepona, which has a mayor who is very energetic, civic minded and is making his small city an even prettier place. Yes, it does have a large expat community (like most all the locations on the Costa Del Sol) but...it retains is charm and Spanish essence.
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. We are now planning to stay 3 nights in Cadiz and 5 night in Malaga with the day trips.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 10:29 AM

I'm guessing you already purchased the air tickets, but if you didn't or can change, given your simplified Cadiz/Malaga itinerary, consider flying into Jerez de la Frontera (close to Cadiz) and out of Malaga (or vica versa). We did a road trip (during Covid restrictions no less) from Jerez to Malaga, stopping in small towns, staying in small hotels or rentals. It was lovely. Here's our trip report for some ideas: Our Andalusian Coast mini road trip in September 2021

Last edited by MFNYC; Jun 19th, 2024 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 10:38 AM

I second MFNYC's idea.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 02:32 PM

I am late responding but I agree with everyone who has suggested staying in Malaga, which is awesome, and under-rated. Maribel describes Malaga perfectly. The walk to the top of the Alcazaba is stunning! We visited the fascinating Picasso Museum, and had lunch at the Atarazanas Market. You won’t regret staying in Malaga!
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 01:19 PM

Interesting to read Torremolinos described as "down-market." But it occurs to that I have to agree. I had a great time there, so it also occurs to me that, at times, I'm a bit down-market myself.

With all that being said, I also love Málaga, and I agree with the above posters that it might be perfect for the OP. Lots of culture, lots of history. Great public transit. Beautiful waterfront.
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi Maribel, thank you so much for your response, I realized I used your guidebooks since my trip in 2008 . Thank you so much
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 09:46 AM

You´re welcome.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

many thanks for your great report and pictures. It helped a lot