Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Andalsnes or Geiranger? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/andalsnes-or-geiranger-205313/)

Merlyn Apr 24th, 2002 07:28 PM

Andalsnes or Geiranger?

I'm planning a trip to Norway in July. My journey would be Oslo--Andalsnes--Geiranger--Hellesylt--Alesund--Bergen--Flam--Oslo. However, I have several uncertain side trips that I need some advice.<BR>1.I will have a whole afternoon staying at Andalsnes. Should I stay overnight at Andalsnes or catch a late evening bus to Geiranger?<BR>2. If I want to visit Jostedalsbreen, is it possible to get there from Hellesylt--Stryn?<BR>Or I should visit the glacier from Flam? But it seem to me that there are few ferries from Flam to the glacier.<BR>3.Did anyone visit the islands near Alesund, like Runde or Ona? Are they interesting? I have one more day to spend on a side trip and I'd like to know where is worthy seeing.<BR> Any help and advice would be very appreciated.

Patrick Apr 24th, 2002 07:47 PM

Forgive my ignorance, it has been a few years, but are the islands you mention near Alesund, the Giske Islands? We went and enjoyed them very much. I recall eating waffles in a little restaurant next to a wonderful lighthouse that we climbed to the top on one island. The islands are linked by incredible tunnels. We also walked up to "caves" carved into the hillside on another island. It was interesting and enjoyable, but a half to full day at most.

Joe Apr 25th, 2002 10:06 AM

Merlyn: Geiranger in my opinion. This is on the ultimate fjord. Beautiful! Stay at the venerable Union Hotel. Get a room with a head-on fjord view. You won't want to leave your room. Andelsnes is somewhat industrial. Alesund is, on the other hand, delightful. The art nouveaus buildings and the harbor scene are very enjoyable. The outer Islands are very worthwhile; very easy and quick to get to. There is a little 12th century church out on the Islands (I believe it is an island named Giska) that is in amazingly good repair. The colorful interior is extraordinary. There are tours given by local docents. They tell a sad story about a love affair between a daughter of a wealthy merchant and a commoner. The daughter's grave is actually adjacent to the church. There are two trees seperated by the church that are supposed to represent the daughter and her lover. The manner in which the two trees are reaching for each other is supposed to manifest the depth of their love. Great area.

s.fowler Apr 25th, 2002 10:59 AM

I second Joe's advice. Geiranger is spectacular.

chris Apr 26th, 2002 04:50 AM

Geiranger definitely! Take the scenic bus from Andalsnes to Geiranger via the Troll Road. According to my book the bus leaves at 6:45am and 5:15pm daily and takes 3-hours.<BR><BR>You can visit the Kjenndalsbreen arm of the Jostedalsbreen glacier from Stryn via a bus to Sande and then a boat on Lake Lovatnet. Departure is about 10am from Stryn to connect with the boat, return at 2:15pm.<BR><BR>or visit the Briksdalbreen arm. There is a bus from Stryn at 10am and takes 1-hour. return is at 1:45. Personally I think Briksdalbreen is the better glacier arm to visit of the 2, but Lake Lovatnet is gorgeous. Sorry we didn't visit any islands around Aalesund, but we really enjoyed Aalesund-much more than Bergen.<BR><BR>

Merlyn Apr 27th, 2002 07:53 PM

Thanks very much for all of your valuable information and sharing your wonderful experience. I believe that Geiranger will be my definite destination in my trip. Also, I'll spend more time around Alesund. <BR>Once again, thank you very much.