Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   and the digestif . . .? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/and-the-digestif-399506/)

melissa19 Feb 15th, 2004 12:45 PM

and the digestif . . .?

is that correctly spelled?

pursuant to a recent thread on the proper apertif in paris (pour un homme). what would be a good digestif pour une femme et un homme?

merci,
melissa

cigalechanta Feb 15th, 2004 12:51 PM

I like a great Calvados.

indytravel Feb 15th, 2004 12:57 PM

I have a terrible time getting a digestif in France. Either it's my terrible accent or they aren't expecting people to keep drinking after the meal or both.

I have upon occasion managed to get a "cointreau avec glaçon " (cointreau with ice) but not often. In Nantes in December when I tried to order one I ended up switching my desert from something chocolate to sorbet. Oh well, sorbet was better for me... :-)

Scarlett Feb 15th, 2004 01:59 PM

I cannot think of the right word for it, it is pear flavored and sort of sweet, like an Asti.
The Yankee and I like Port sometimes also.
But usually I have un cafe~

laverendrye Feb 15th, 2004 03:40 PM

Another vote for calva!

Michael Feb 15th, 2004 04:19 PM

Eau de noix, but it is difficult to find outside the Dordogne.

cigalechanta Feb 15th, 2004 04:29 PM

mmmmm! eau de noix a nut brandy not to be confused with the creme de noix, a very sweet liquer. This area also sells those wonderful chocolate dusted walnuts.

jody Feb 15th, 2004 04:32 PM

I stick to cognac!

Eloise Feb 15th, 2004 04:38 PM

Poire William is a pear liqueur; it is sweet, but I have never discerned any other resemblance to Asti, which I take to be Asti spumante, a sweet Italian vin mousseux.

Most of the good eaux de vie are from the Alsace; in addition to poire William, there is eau de framboise (raspberry) and eau de mirabelle (plum).

cigalechanta Feb 15th, 2004 04:43 PM

We ask our waiter, wherever we are, for the local apertif or digestif. You learn so much that way.

kismetchimera Feb 15th, 2004 04:48 PM

After a delicious meal, give me a good Cognac..

Scarlett Feb 15th, 2004 04:58 PM

Muscat! I believe is the name of the pear drink we have had a few times and enjoyed as a sweet after dinner drink.
Also, there is a Champagne that is something like Champagne au Poire..

cigalechanta Feb 15th, 2004 05:20 PM

Other than the Poire Williams(pear) in France, you may want to try Mirabelle (plums) I love this confiture also, and then there's Vielle Prunes, others we have here like Grand Marnier, a favorite orange flavered) and Cointreau.

Michael Feb 15th, 2004 06:28 PM

While most flavors can be found as liqueurs, when the word <i>eau</i> appears, it normally means a 90 to 100 proof alcohol, especially if it is clear colored. Framboise, poire, kirsch and quetsche (sp?) are the more common types.

Cigalechanta--eau de noix is normally in the 25% to 30% range in alcohol content and would not be as strong as cognac. But the Italian version will reach the ranges of hard liquor.

Digital_Traveler Feb 15th, 2004 06:43 PM

Any eaux de vie!
though, I have taken to port at home recently.

kismetchimera Feb 15th, 2004 06:49 PM

I enjoy a good Limoncello..

klondike Feb 15th, 2004 10:29 PM

Another check in the Cognac column.

ira Feb 16th, 2004 06:14 AM

Hi melissa,

A digestif should have mint in it:
White Creme de Menthe.

You could also have a creme de menthe mixed with limonade (French lemon soda). I think it is called Diablo Menthe.

rcc Feb 16th, 2004 06:17 AM

Calvados.

sfowler Feb 16th, 2004 06:24 AM

chartreuse -- bless those monks anyway :D