Notices

Anadolu Kavagi Fish Restaurant

Feb 15th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Anadolu Kavagi Fish Restaurant

We will be taking the ferry up the Bosphorus and I have read that there are a lot of sea food restaurants in Anadolu Kavagi. I have also read that there are a lot of over priced low quality restaurants in this area.
My question is does anyone know of a restaurant in this area that has a good quality fish lunch at a reasonable price.
Thanks.
Feb 16th, 2013, 04:03 PM

You will not find good restaurants at Anadolu Kavagi.

It will be a good idea to hop of the bus at Rumeli Kavagi, which has better restaurants unless you wish to climb Soros castle for the wider angle Black Sea view.

In either case, here are some tips :

Always check the fish before ordering, ask the price and if it is over TL20/person, negotiate the price or get a lower priced one.

Sea bass and sea bream (levrek and cupra) are always farmed. Do not believe them if they say otherwise and try to cahrge you triple the farmed fish price. These are safe bets. levrek has more delicate meat and chupra is more solid.

The bream is usually always grilled. You can get the bass grilled, fried or poached.

Do not order any fried fish at Anadolu Kavagi if you end up eating there. They over-use the cheapest oil they can get and it can easily be carcinogenic.

Turbot is getting into season but will be very expensive.
Blue fish is out of season and what you get will be very expensive and defrosted. There is still some bonito but I will not recommend it until September.

I have a report on eating fish in Istanbul, either on the Istanbul forum or in the lounge, that I believe I wrote 2-3 years ago. Should be worth your while to check it.
Feb 16th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Sorry, I meant, "hop off the boat.."
Feb 17th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

otherchelebi,
Thanks for the information. I will be in Istanbul in May and maybe we will get off early at Rumeli Kavagi. We wanted the experience of the boat ride more then the walk to the ruins. I will have to do some research on Rumrli Kavagi. Thanks again.

Search this Thread