Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

An inexpensive hotel in the Marais...I think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM
GKS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel in the Marais for around 130 Euros or less per night?

I've never been to Paris before, and since I'm only there for 2 nights I want to be in an area that's picturesque and typically old Paris with character and charm, a place where we can park our car (eeek?) and leave it there to walk around and explore the area. Tall order, I know. Is it possible to stay somewhere like that for 130 Euros per night or less? Would the Marais be a good spot? Or is there another part of Paris you could recommend?

And since we'll be there in July, air conditioning is a must, right?

Thanks for your help!!!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM

Hey GKS,

I stayed a couple years ago at the
www.jeannedarchotel.com . It's in the Marais, tucked away on a quiet side street. It is not fancy to say the least, but it was convenient and at the time included breakfast which was decent. There is a metro stop a block away. I don't know about a car, though. There was not a parking lot, but there was on street parking. Don't know if it was for residents. But I would never bring one into the city anyway as the public transport is so good.

I really liked the Marais. It is definitely not touristy. I think you get a good feel for what living in Paris would be like. But you're also not far from a lot of attractions.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM

Try the Hotel de la Bretonnerie
http://www.hotelbretonnerie.com/

Their std rooms are only 125 euro, and I haven't stayed there, but I know it's gotten a lot of good comments from people who have. That's a good price for a 3* hotel in that area.

It doesn't have AC, though, and the Jeanne d'Arc won't either. I don't think you can get what you want for that rate in the Marais, so you'll have to compromise. But maybe there is some cheap hotel there with AC, I'm not sure.

It's a pretty bad area for bringing in a car, in general, though, I think that's not a good idea at all. You won't get any parking at a hotel for that rate (I think it is rare to get any free parking at a hotel in Paris, although some hotels can handle the parking for you for a fee).

There are several big garages in the general area around Hotel de Ville, though. There is a big one at place Baudoyer in-between St Paul and Hotel de Ville metro stops, right of f rue de Rivoli. It will cost you 27 euro a day to park there. There is also one on rue St Antoine just west of place de la Bastille, but I don't know if it's available daily to the general public.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 12:23 PM

I've stayed at the Bretonnerie and would recommend. Also you can take a look at the Hotel Mahler. I have no idea about parking, though, and guess it would be quite a pain in the neck to have a car in Paris...
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
GKS
Original Poster

Thank you all. I'm excited to look into these hotels! I think the thing to do would be to return our rental car when we drive into Paris. Do you know about how much a taxi would be from CDG to the Marais? I'm not familiar at all with public transport there, so taxi might be easiest that first day....
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
ira

Hi GK,

>an area that's picturesque and typically old Paris with character and charm, a place where we can park our car...for 130 Euros per night or less...with AC.

This is not in the Marais. It is in the 6th, but I think it will meet your needs.

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 128E dbl w/bkfst. It is located near 3 metro stops. Has AC and an elevator.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://tinyurl.com/ludgd

Too bad you only have 2 days to enjoy Paris.

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 01:10 PM

Another one I have stayed at is Hotel St. Paul Le Marais. Not bad at all. Closer to the Place des Vosges than the Bretonnerie.

http://www.hotel-paris-marais.com/

I cannot remember what I pay in a taxi but I am guessing anywhere from 45-60 Euro depending on time of day. I do know that I paid 42 from the Ile St. Louis to CDG on a recent trip. Whatever it costs, I would ditch the car!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM

A taxi from CDG will cost about 50 euro, but you don't have to take the car back to the airport just because you picked it up there. You can drop it off wherever your rental outfit has a location, including within Paris.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM

stayed at the Hotel Beauborg in 2002. It is on Rue Simon Lefranc, down a side street across from the Pompidou Center. At that time it was $109 including breakfast. It was not fancy, but the room we stayed in (room 24) was clean and very spacious for an inexpensive parisian hotel. We would stay there again.

Loved staying in the Marais!! It is old paris with lots of charm and buzz. A great walking around neighborhood.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Hotel Beaubourg now runs between 125-150€.... it looks quite nice (I didn't check Tripadvisor...)
http://www.beaubourg-paris-hotel.com/
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Hi

Have a look at - http://www.carondebeaumarchais.com
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Caron de Beaumarchais is lovely; I had no idea they had rooms in that price range, but they do!!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 05:00 AM

At Caron de B, the street side rooms are small and the 'courtyard' rooms are dark, based on my recall of previous posts...
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 08:42 AM

i've stayed at the hotel malher. it's an easy walk to all the sights and a block & 1/2 to the metro st. paul.

http://www.grandhotelmalher.com/GrandHotelMalher.htm
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:41 AM

There's also Hotel Sevigne in old Marais quarter, you can get a king bed for only 86 euros and it looks nice. www.le-sevigne.com
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM

our family stayed at the Hotel Joan D'Arc- the room was a bit small clean but not modern (but that is Paris) but had a nice size bathroom. The staff were really lovely and the location and price was awesome! Breakfast was so-so but adequate. It books up well in advance and the first time we went to Paris it was booked. Second time I booked a few months in advance. The Marais is a wonderful area to stay. We really loved it and would only stay there when returning to Paris - great shops and restaurants and we found the people to be really friendly. We stayed in St. Germain the first time and did not get a great feeling. We ended up having a lot of fun on our last trip because people in the restaurant and stores in the Marais were much looser and interested in engaging with us. We ended up having coffee in one of the clothing stores with the sales men and talking for a while. Great neighborhood.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:53 PM

bookmarking
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM

Do you have to make the reservation for Hotel Jeannne D'Arc through ParisHotels.com, when I type in the web site that's what comes up, I guess there must not be a direct link to the hotel, does anyone know. Is this hotel better than Hotel Le Sevigne also located in the Marais.

Also, it says to make the reservation way ahead, For beginning of May, how far in advance should the reservation be made.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:40 PM

I don't know if you have to reserve that way (of course you wouldn't, some people call or FAX, and they do have email [email protected]

But they don't maintain and host their own personal website, that is their internet presence. A lot of hotels do that, it's cheaper.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Ira, I noticed there are double rooms at the Hotel Bonaparte for 128E. Have you seen these less expensive doubles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -