Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

An Indian in Roma: 4 Days. First time. Gulp!

Nov 10th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

My wife and I will be spending our last leg of our two week Italian holiday in Rome from June 7-10. Looking for suggestions of central hotels and something off of the beaten track. I think we'll be covering the usual spots - but I'd love to hear fodorites' feedback on something different and memorable they did in Rome. June 8 will be our 5 year anniversary so suggestions on something special to do that day will be very welcome.

Also looking for nice places to drink / eat - we don't eat red meat, but all else goes...
We'll be driving in from Siena and dropping off our car so mode of transport will be public transport / walking.. thanks a bunch.

Sunshank
Nov 10th, 2010, 01:14 AM

Hi Sunshank,
Public transportation and walking will do well in Rome. You'll be fine. Not having red meat in your diet should pose no problems whatsoever. There are many lovely restaurants in Rome, so you'll have plenty of options. One place I'd recommend is Il Margutta near Piazza del Popolo; due to a dietary restriction involving a religious observance, I ate there, and it's a lovely place with great food.
http://www.deliciousitaly.com/ristorante.php?id=18
In the evening the place is candle-lit and it's gorgeous.

One of my most memorable experiences in Rome is being atop Castel Sant'Angelo when the sun was beginning to set. The Roman skyline was stunningly beautiful and I so enjoyed seeing the lights of the city, and the lights of The Vatican coming on.

Hope you have a great trip!

BC
Nov 10th, 2010, 06:19 AM

I loved the hop on hop off city tour late in the afternoon to early evening and appreciated the lighted buildings of the city.Beautiful..and of course fragola,strawberry icecream in the spanish steps behind the ferragamo store.i always stay in hotel rivoli in via taramelli, cost around 80-100 euros depending on availability.enjoy!
Nov 10th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Nice. Thanks so much bookchick and pppeaches. Will check out castel sant'angelo and il margutta.
pppeaches - thanks for the hotel tip. will explore.
Curious if these segway tours are worth the E50-70 charge?

Sunshank
Nov 10th, 2010, 10:52 PM

For your 5th anniversary--before that special romantic dinner-- Trevi Fountain at night! I know, i know--cliched touristy place. But that mist from the fountain on you at night, with all the people around laughing and holding hands etc etc... is just a wonderful , iconic place to be as a couple in Roma, throwing those coins and hoping for a return to Rome!

BTW, I'd rather be gong to India than Italy I'llalso be in Italy in June....but I love your country!
Nov 11th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Calinurse - I think Trevi is definitely part of the plan that day.
I spent a week with friends in California more than 10 years ago - very fond memories. Will be more than glad to help whenever you swing by this part of the world...have you visited?
Nov 11th, 2010, 03:25 AM

Don't worry about being on the beaten track in Rome, it's a wonderful place to be and you won't really cover it in four days. You are going to the best area in Europe for non red meat eaters.
Nov 11th, 2010, 04:13 AM

Sunshank, you are welcome, of course. The ice cream place pppeaches wrote of is near the Spanish Steps and is called Barcaccia. (It's named after the fountain in front of the Spanish Steps.) It's ice cream in the front, there's a counter selling beverages and sandwiches further back, and actually, there's an upstairs where lunch is served in a very nice room. If the windows are open, you have a great view of the Spanish Steps; the service is pretty good, the food is just "okay", but the view is wonderful!

When I'm in Rome, I always stay at this hotel, and have been really pleased with their service:
http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/
E-mail them for a quote with your dates and the type of room you'd like. They'll e-mail you back. They furnish outstanding customer service, and if you like they will make dinner reservations for you in advance, send your laundry out, arrange transportation for airport transfers or little tours around Rome, etc.

I agree that seeing the Trevi at night, as well as the Colosseum at night are striking and gorgeous sights. No matter how often I travel to Rome, I never tire of these sights.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Nov 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Sunshank, for good gelato (maybe dessert, after your romantic anniversary dinner) a block from Trevi Fountain, there's San Crispino. Some reviews mention "bad attitude" of staff, but we did not experience this...and the stuff is so delicous, i'd put up with "attitude"!

Yes, have been to your country. Now dreamng of fourth trip. DO check out the Asia forum, for India tags--you may be able to offer a tip or two!
Nov 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Your title is like the song: " an englishman in New York".
I hope you enjoy Rome. Have you gone to the Vatican?
Nov 13th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

adammacia - love sting, hence the title...no haven't visited the vatican but plan to on my trip... thanks.
Nov 14th, 2010, 03:16 AM

Sunshank,

I think the area of the via Margutta and its restaurant is a great suggestion. In that area, there are two unique shops that might make your anniversary trip special.

One is L'Olfatorio, at via Ripetta 34, which is place where your wife can sample all sorts of perfumes and fragrances -- but the shop doesn't sell anything! Instead, after they have helped you find the perfect scent, they give you a list of stores in Rome where you can purchase that scent. So there is no pressure to buy, and you can take as long as you like finding the right fragrance.

A different store, on the via Margutta, is a shop that carves marble, and for less than 20 euros, you can have any words you want carved into a slab of marble -- if it's not too heavy to carry home in your suitcase. The via Margutta is a street lined with modern art galleries, and this tiny old fashioned place is rather charming.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/02/28...surfacing.html

Another suggestion I have for you is to take time to visit the Portico d'Ottavia at the edge of the Jewish Ghetto, and especially to do so at night, when it is very atmospheric. Since you don't eat red meat, plan to have an evening meal in the Jewish ghetto of fried fish and fried zucchini blossoms. And then take a stroll around the Portico d'Ottavia. (In fact, one very nice evening would be to head to the piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere, see the gorgeous mosaics in the small church, enjoy a pre-dinner treat in the piazza, head over to the Jewish Ghetto for dinner, and then take a look at the Portico d'Ottavia afterwards.

Anyway, I think it is great you want to get off the beaten track in Rome. It is easy to do, because there is so much more to Rome than the incredibly crowded tourist sights.

Have a great trip!