Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

An excellent reason not to dress too sloppily while on holiday

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Jennifer

In surfing the web, I found this:

Dress conservatively while traveling. In many foreign countries, American women can often be identified because they are very "open" and friendly and dress more casually than local women. This can make a woman stand out as a tourist and a target for purse snatching and sexual harassment. Review your itinerary for the day and dress accordingly and conservatively. Drawing as little attention to yourself as possible will help you fit in with the local population thus reducing your risk of being targeted as a visitor.

It makes a lot of sense to me! Here's the URL of more tips for women:

http://www.executiveplanet.com/community/items/994894916110_en.asp?section=Tips_for_Women

Also, this website (executiveplanet) is generally about business travel, but I found it to have *excellent* advice on different cultural customs and practices. I'm not associated with them at all, but I just thought I'd pass the info along.

Jennifer

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:34 PM
sfo

Excellent advice, Jennifer,Thanks!

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:49 PM
jane

Damn, and here I just finished packing my see-through blouses, leather pants, and high heeled slingback shoes.

Look, I've no qualms about behaving formally, but the dress thing is starting to wear thin. Friends of mine in Egypt were harassed despite wearing hats tied with scarves, long blouses that went well past their hips, and loose trousers. I'm sure someone's going to insist that somehow they asked for it, but they found that it finally stopped only when they challenged their harassers if this is how they would treat their sisters or mothers.

As for purse snatching, has anyone ever done any kind of formal study to determine if this actually true or just another urban myth? You can take a lot more evasive action from a purse snatcher if you're wearing sneakers and a backpack rather than formal shoes and a purse.

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Jennifer

Hi Jane,

The article doesn't say that dressing more formally is a guarantee! But I certainly wish to minimize my chances of being a target, as I'm sure all of us do.

I also understand about comfort when traveling! However, a blazer and a pair of good black walking shoes can be extremely comfortable without being sloppy. Personally, I love New Balance black suede shoes. Extraordinarily comfortable yet they look a zillion times better than sneakers!

Jennifer

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:54 PM
nyer

Sadly,Jane, although the people that I know have done no formal "tests", the truth is that a few of them, alone and with another person,have been robbed and mugged while traveling.
The worst place has been Spain, where one lady that I know,was pulled off a curb,by a young man yanking on the strap of her shoulder bag,knocking her head on the sidewalk,she woke up in the hospital and had to come back to the US with a concussion.
Other friends have been harrassed for just being North Americans in Morrocco,molested in Italy.
Women traveling alone or with friends/family,have to be alert and tone it down a little.Unfortunately,men in a lot of other countries,have no idea of how to behave around women.

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:48 PM
xxx

Yes, blending in is probably a significant deterrent to crime in foreign countries. But Americans being who they are, want the "freedom" to dress however they like and comport themselves however they like wherever they are. Many of them go to Europe wanting to display, or being unable to avoid displaying the rubes that they are. Then they get all whiney and judgmental when they get robbed or worse. You read their sob stories on this and other boards all the time. Tough for them. And hardly a one of them speaks enough of the language of wherever they're traveling to do much either to prevent a problem or deal with it after it happens. Tough again.
There's a lot of good advice on these sites, but will American travelers take note? Nah......

And Jane, Egypt is a whole other ball of wax, though your points are well taken.

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:50 PM
jill

How interesting,xxx.

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:26 PM
dressing

The stats are in: In the UK last year, 75% of the women tourists who had their purses snatched were wearing clothes rated at a 1 or 2, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the sloppiest, 10 being the most fashionable.
Only 3% of the snatchings occured on women rated as level 6 dressers or above, and no snatchings occured on women dressing at level 9 or 10.

A few examples of level 1 dress include blue jeans and sneakers. At level 10, we find designer scarves, blazers, and black slacks.

So, take note travellers. Dress often, dress fancy, and dress now!

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:38 PM
xxx

I hate to blow a hole in these theories about dress conservatively and you will be less of at target for purse snatching but.. When I was in Granada and robbed at knife point, in broad daylight in a well travelled area ,I was dressed conservatively. The moral of the story: Dressing conservatively may save you from a purse snatcher but when it comes to a thief with a knife you are dead meat no matter how you are dressed.

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Capo

I think there are a number of different issues here.

First, regarding crime, it's likely that thieves -- pickpockets and the like -- target tourists more than locals. If so, then it stands to reason that the less one obviously looks like a tourist, the less likely one is to be a victim.

Second, regarding "respect", if a culture or country (e.g. Saudi Arabia) or a building (e.g. a church) has rules about certain types of dress, then one should respect those rules or else avoid the country or the building.

Finally, regarding those "rules", even though one must adhere to them, it doesn't mean one has to respect them. Some rules are are silly; others are unfair and oppressive and I don't respect either kind. An example of the former is the rule forbidding shorts in a church. Like God cares if you have bare knees? An example of the latter is any Islamic country that forces women to cover up more of their bodies than men just because the men in these countries apparently are unable to think of the women as other than prostitutes, and/or to keep from harassing them, if they don't cover their bodies in an "appropriate" manner. The problem is not with the women in these countries; the problem is with the men.

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:45 AM
Suzy

The correlation between purse-snatching and "level" of dressing on a scale of 1-to-10 says: "The stats are in: In the UK last year, 75% of the women tourists who had their purses snatched were wearing clothes rated at a 1 or 2, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the sloppiest, 10 being the most fashionable.
Only 3% of the snatchings occured on women rated as level 6 dressers or above, and no snatchings occured on women dressing at level 9 or 10."

Well, before this statement can make senes, we need to know a few things: What percentage of ALL women tourists fall into each category? There's no description of the ratings scale -- what if 75% of ALL women tourists fall into the level 1 or 2? Furthermore, are these women identical in other ways, particularly in where they go? Women who are very dressed-up might less likely to be in higher-risk neighborhoods, on the tube,etc. And those gals dressed to the 9's or 10's are all safely in limos with bodyguards, so that final number isn't surprising.

Old May 16th, 2002, 04:06 AM
david

I am a man yet am replying because of all the continuing questions that relate to Euopre. First the "study" that was made in England as to who is attacked is merly propounded by one writer with no attribution. I doubt there evr was such a study done and certainly there are no numericla standrads for dress that I have ever heard of.

Second, when I am in Europe, I am a tourist an I cannot deny that fact. The camera tells people that. I dress primarily for comfort with due defference for where I am such as a church etc.. I am always aware of my surroundings and have never had a problem with crime (I consider myself lucky in this regard as well)

However, I wear sneakers and shorts in certain situations and will continue to do so. My wife does also. I have also found it offensive that many people on Fodors use questions about clothing to denegrate others for what they wear or their views. This is more inapproriate than actually what people do wear.

So, when you go the Europe, I advise dress in clean good clothing, take good care of your feet, respect Europeans and their culture, learn a few keys words such as please, hello, etc and enjoy yourself.

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:07 AM
cocochannelNOT

Be careful where you wear shorts, especially your wife, or she may be mistaken for a prostitute. Why do egomaniacs insist on wearing not just comfortable clothing, but inappropriate clothing? There is clothing that is comfortable AND appropriate. Why do some people assume that there are two extremes, formal and uncomfortable clothing vs. jeans and sneakers. Use your brain and wear something that doesn't make you look like a pig but is comfortable. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:47 AM
dressing

It was a joke, folks, in response to the assumptions made by some writers on this thread. In fact, I thought it so absurd, noone would take it seriously.

So, David is right. Be skeptical!

Old May 16th, 2002, 10:01 AM
thanks

Thanks for the great website, lots of good info there!

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:08 PM
other

Hey! I just thought of the other side to this. Here's a reason to dress down while in Europe:

Pursesnatchers will think you have nothing of value.

We've already gone through the thread knocking the poor fiancee who wanted to wear her rock to Europe, telling her she'd become a target if she wore it.

So, I say, let's all trick 'em, and dress like we're desolate. Then they'll pick on the well-dressed Europeans!

Slob down and be safe!

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:58 PM
xxx

Other: I know you posted in jest but I'm beginning to think you are right.The people we saw in the area where we were robbed (other tourists of various nationalities) were casually dressed.

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Jennifer

I may be taking a trip to Russia this fall, and everything I've read said to dress nicely but not expensively. Flashing expensive jewelry only makes one a huge target. And in this sense, flashing simply means wearing! In Russia, especially, I believe there is a huge discrepancy between the wealthy and the poor, with not many in the middle. Quite honestly, I will not be wearing any diamonds or good jewelry. I'll look "nice" and wear make-up and jewelry, but not "rich" (which is good, because I'm not rich, anyway!)

Jennifer

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:32 PM
xxxx

In Russia, of all places, urban population place a great importance to clothing "labels". Young women are known to save for months to buy expensive boots. There are people even in relatively poor range, who will not caught dead waering chinese-made clothes. They might wear jeans, but it will be a "brand" of the season. Once upon a time it was Levis, but this is long gone, now it is more like designer Fendi jeans.

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Barbara

Is this really a travel forum??? I am shocked at these postings.

For what it's worth - yes, obviously dress dress appropriately for the culture of the place you are visiting. This is mainly an issue of treating another culture with respect.

Does this mean you won't look like a tourist? No. Does dressing expensively make you look less
like a tourist? No. You will stand out like a sore thumb regardless. Take care + look out for yourself. Don't concentrate on your labels and jewellry...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information