Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

An embarassing admission: our best meal in Europe.

Oct 10th, 2000, 01:36 PM
Patrick

Recently arrived back home from our 5 month European adventure and we are putting together our thoughts. Everyone always asks our favorite place, favorite hotel, and favorite meal. We are having a difficult time answering much of that, but both of us agree our favorite meal was at Heathrow Airport. How can we face our friends with that revelation? Actually it was the night before we flew to Istanbul and we stayed at the Radisson at Heathrow (supposedly dubbed the world's best airport hotel). It was a very nice hotel, but our dinner was nothing short of spectacular. How embarassing!!! To make us feel better, we must also admit that it was our most expensive meal of the whole trip.

Oct 10th, 2000, 02:39 PM
marilyn

Brought back an adorable set of dessert plates from a trip to Paris in 1978. Never told anyone that we got them at the American Express store when we were cashing travelers checks--another blast from the past!

Oct 10th, 2000, 03:24 PM
SharonM

What a hoot, Patrick! Peg me quilty too!
Just a few minutes ago I was going to respond to the "best moderately priced restaurant in Paris" thread (or something like that)...even got into the respond mode and changed my mind because I realized all I really remembered about this great cafe was that it was some cute little cellar type cafe on some little street about 2-3 blocks from the Place Monge metro station (this was also, hmmmmm... 13 yrs ago?)...But It was moderately priced and Very Delicious!!!
Guess if I'm going to be a wealth of information I'd better organize my travel memories better! Worse comes to worse, I can usually explain where the hotel/restaurant is....or look thru my matchbook collection and more get specific...lol
Maybe we should start a club?

Oct 10th, 2000, 03:30 PM
bo_jack

Patrick, you've got me curious. Can you provide a brief summary of what your meal was and why it is so memorable?

Oct 10th, 2000, 06:53 PM
Patrick

First of all, it was a beautiful room, with extremely fine furnishings and decor (I say this as an interior designer.) The service was impeccable. No fawning, but constant and smiling, and friendly service. I had a superb sauteed foie gras, followed by a saddle of rabbit stuffed with wild mushrooms, served with a superb risotto that could have been the greatest main course I'd ever ordered in Milan. My partner had a tuna salad -- tuna was seared rare and could have passed as a main course in most restaurants. This was followed by a fillet of venison, with assorted grilled baby vegetables. Dessert was a rhubarb crumble, actually a perfectly formed concoction of rhubarb, custard, and pastry is an incredible stacked arrangement with an indescrible, but wonderful sauce. They had a superb wine list from which we chose a really fine bordeaux. The entire evening was sensational.

Oct 10th, 2000, 08:00 PM
Diane

One of my most memorable meals in Europe was a ham and cheese sandwich in The Netherlands. My friend and I took the bus to Volendam, stopped into a take-out shop for sandwiches and sat on a boardwalk bench watching the sea. We were half-way through our (warmed up) sandwiches and just looked at each other. We could not believe how good the sandwiches were, and had to laugh about it. But we still remember it.

Oct 11th, 2000, 08:20 AM
Patrick

Now that I think about it, had a similar experience three years ago. We were in the Florence train station waiting to change trains, and looking at the board waiting for them to post which platform. We were standing outside the MacDonalds in the train station. After about half an hour Lee couldn't stand it any more, he had to have a milkshake. I went to get it and couldn't stand it either. I got some french fries. We stood in the train station and decided that they were the best milk shake and fries we had ever had. We had not eaten at a MacDonalds in Europe or this country in at least 5 years, and are still ashamed to admit we liked it that day. Can you imagine our only meal in Florence that trip was at MacDonalds?

Oct 11th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Mia

Also guilty of enjoying food at a train station. We were taking the early morning train from Toulouse and had no time for breakfast. So we bought tomato and mozarella "toasted" sandwiches at the train station grill. Ate them on the train with some OJ and thought this was the best sandwich ever, as we sped through the French countryside.

Oct 11th, 2000, 11:28 AM
kk

Patrick, your story is a hoot and I love this thread.
My contribution is the fact that the best meal I had during (one and only, so far)to Italy was on the train from Rome to Florence. The usual Italian things but cooked and served perfectly!
It made the meal we had in the highly regarded restaurant in Florence suffer by comparison.
Patrick, I hope we will be getting more bits on your five months. I lost your travel postings after Greece. Did I miss anything?

Oct 11th, 2000, 01:11 PM
hc

For those of you who had the memorable meals from train stations, read the first few chapters (and then the rest, by then you'll be hooked) of The Sixteen Pleasures, by Robert Hellenga...

Oct 11th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Art

Great thread. We recently returned from Portugal and Spain. The best meal that we had on the trip was a little no name restaurant about 1 1/2 blocks from our hotel. No one spoke English and with my severely limited Spanish we had a hoot. They carried trays of their entree selections to our table so we could point and choose.
One of the most memorable was our last day in Barcelona. We had visited Segrada Familie and the Picasso Museum and were back on La Ramba wandering around and picking up last minute souvenirs. We stopped at the McDonalds on La Ramba (I had never eaten at a fast food chain in Europe before and very rarely do here, but we did and it was quite enjoyable.

Oct 11th, 2000, 02:49 PM
stacey

I haven't even told my closest friends about this 'treasure'. I don't know what's in them, but I absolutely adore the egg sandwiches I get in the gas stations on the autobahn in Germany (specifically going from Frankfurt to Kaiserslautern) I don't know if they're my 'best' meal, but certainly one of my faves

Oct 11th, 2000, 04:25 PM
bo_jack

On our recent trip to Scotland I thoroughly enjoyed a Stilton and Walnut "toasty" on the Isle of Skye -- sort of a grilled cheese sandwich (but browned, I believe, in a heated press, not grilled). I've been looking for another since then, but with no success. Upon returning to the US, I heard one of our Presidential candidates claim that his favorite sandwich is "peanut butter and jelly" -- with my memory of Stilton and Walnut still fresh, that claim has been a little hard to swallow, along with the some of the other campaign reteoric.

Oct 12th, 2000, 04:22 AM
Paige

Everyone talks about the fantastic restaurants in Paris, but my all time favorite meal there is a grilled tomato and mozzarella panini and a bottle of Bordeaux on a park bench!

Oct 12th, 2000, 07:00 AM
Diane

Patrick - the restaurant sounds like La Troufiere in Paris. Was the cellar located downstairs? If so, I was there in early September.

Oct 12th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Linda

On the first trip to Europe, we backpacked & ate bread and cheese for lunch & a better meal later. In Munich near the bahnhof, we ate a very rich kabob with rice & cream sauce. Back at the hotel, we became sick because we were not use to the richness; but it was so good, we ate the same thing the next evening.
On the last trip, we were to be traveling from Prague to Budapest & stopped at a bakery near the statute of Wenceslas. We bought kolaches and meat-stuffed bread for the trip and they were so good & cheap.
The best meal was at our friend's house in Dresden where her mother made a typical German guest dinner.

Oct 13th, 2000, 07:14 AM
jwagner

I have to admit that I am hooked on the "truck stops" on the auto strasse in Italy. I love seeing the truckers in there sipping their espresso. I love the huge sandwich counters where you can get great bread stuffed with cheeses and meats. And the cookies are wonderful.

Oct 13th, 2000, 09:15 AM
ray

Our best meals in Barcelona and Mallorca was at Kentucky Fried Chicken and MacDonalds, where you can also get a beer. You can have the day old tapas of fish and other seafoods that they pride themselves on. I had a hard time getting them down and the seasonings were unflavorable. I prefer Mexican foods where there is plenty of flavor.