An afternoon with Dries from Belge.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My favorite shop hosted a reception for one of my favorite designers to sell and promote his book. Like most people I met from Belguim, he was delightful and very warm.
I've only been to Brussels but need to read more about the other areas.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dries van Noten or just Dries?
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Dries Van Noten
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Customers loaned their clothes from his earlier collections that were on exhibit.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 03:53 PM

It sounds simply fabulous my dear, he's a great designer, although I'd love to ask him why he makes some of his clothes in China.

Of course it's for cost reasons, but those savings are certainly not passed on to the customers. That said, the quality is stil comparable to Italian made counterparts - he must used more skilled workers - but it's very naughty charging the same for a garment that has cost far less to produce.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

I agree with that.One winter casual 3/4 coat is made in Romania but it was not expensive(bought on sale at less than $175) like the coat I saw today that was over $2000 but very beautiful and unique.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:19 AM

Cigalechanta; check out MK's trip report on Antwerp!

Dries van Noten has a beautiful shop in Antwerp. Come and visit! Lots of other good shopping too.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 01:12 AM

To m_k2,
<<but it's very naughty charging the same for a garment that has cost far less to produce>>
Let's approach it from the other side: if Dries van Noten would have his clothes made in Belgium, it would make them more expensive than they are now ...
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 04:58 AM

Mimi, maybe this will be your first step towards Belgium
Sounds like my kind of day! Wish I were there
Hello, Mym~
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Sounds like you had a lovely time! I am a bigger fan of Edouard Vermeulen (Natan) but like Dries van Noten as well. I was in the Natan store on Saturday and the colors of the clothes were luscious. There was a smashing evening gown there--if I were still a sweet young thing, I would be frantically recalculating my budget to see if I could find a way to buy it. Instead, I admired some of his separates and have my eye on one jacket.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:37 AM

BTilke; I think we have the same taste! Was that the Avenue Louise store? Princess Maxima caused quite a stir wearing a Natan Jeans jacket earlier this year. And I love Natan's leather jackets. Very soft and beautiful.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Yes, that was the Ave. Louise store. I also like some German labels like Basler.
I recently scored a GREAT deal on a new Basler coat. I saw it in a boutique on the Ave. Georges Henri for 629 euros (over $800)--a little out of my budget considering I had bought a new coat in Baden-Baden in January 2004 and we've got all the Maidenhead moving expenses. BUT...the Inno store on the rue Neuve had the exact same coat for only 200 euros...I asked a salesperson and a cashier about the price; they both just shrugged. I snapped it up, and as I was leaving the store another saleswoman came flapping over crying out that the coat had been mistakenly priced 429 euros too low!! The first saleswoman and the cashier stuck up for me (turned out the cashier was also the floor manager), saying it was too late to do anything about it AFTER the sale. A very miffed saleswoman was busy ripping the tags off the remaining coats as I left. Anyway, I'm quite chuffed about my new coat and wear it when I'm shopping and cafe hopping on the Ave. Louise and the Sablon. And it will go perfectly with my Christmas present Delvaux purse ;-)
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 09:04 AM

I never get that lucky. Try finding a bargain at Natan!

Another Belgian favorite, also in the Avenue Louise, is Chine. I love their clothes.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Chine is nice. They have a store in Paris, too, in the 16th I think. A little farther up the Ave. Louise is another good designer, Georges Wathelet. And "down" the Avenue near the Place Stephanie is Claudia Strater (sp)...some of her things are pretty attractive. I'm trying to get all my Belgian label shopping in before we leave for the UK...most of my new fall clothes came from Mayerline and Devernois (they are both Belgian shops, aren't they?).
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 09:13 AM

BTilke: it's Gerard Wathelet. I love Chine! Too bad it's so expensive for my student purse. Other nice Belgian brands are Xandres and Scapa. For more casual wear, there's Mer du Nord, Scapa Sport, Bellerose, Hampton Bays, etc...
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Natan is not carried here but i google and saw the summer 2005 slide show and a glimpse of the shop. Thanks ladies.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 10:18 AM

I'm a Xandres fan of the very first hour (when it was still called Andres, ages ago!). Claudia Sträter sometimes carries nice articles as well.
Mayerline is Belgian indeed, I'm not sure about Devernois (French?). Those are too classical for my taste, anyway.

Hi Scarlett! How's Pup?! ;-)
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 10:42 AM

My dear, if they were made in Belgium they should cost no more than they already do. The prices charged are "made in Italy" quality. That said, none of his garments ever have a thread coming loose, but "made in Italy" has a certain caché.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

m_kingdom, please top your Antwerp. I could not find it.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

tried to google Chine but found only Bleu de Chine. Is that it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -