Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   AmsterdamSnooze: Turning Off the Red Lights! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amsterdamsnooze-turning-off-the-red-lights-662767/)

PalenqueBob Dec 6th, 2006 07:18 AM

AmsterdamSnooze: Turning Off the Red Lights!

Of all the great sights and museums in Amsterdam, visitors most indelibly take away memories of the town's infamous Red Light District, which i believe to be the town's number one tourist sight.

But Amsterdam officials say that about 1/3 of the 350 windows that scantilly clad often well-endowed prostitutes sit behind whilst bathed in red florescent lights in the Red Light District will be closed.

Officials are invoking a 2003 law that allows them to revoke the licenses of brothels when they have reason to believe that 'they are being used for money laundering or other illegal financial activities.'

The Netherlands legalized prostitution in 2000 officially but for decades before that it was allowed to flourish in certain districts - amsterdam i think has three such districts but the main, huge one is along canals in the old 'Sailors' Quarter' just east and south of the main train station.

Officials point out that they are not on 'a morality crusade' and are not targeting prostitution per se.

The whole prostituion thing, along with the legalization of the sales and possession of small amounts of cannabis in coffeeshops, while in keeping perhaps with the ballyhooed Dutch tradition of tolerance also makes the town a magnet for consumers of such products and gives the town its reputation of being a modern Sodom and Gommorah (sp?).

If you've been to Amsterdam, did you visit the Red Light district and what were your impressions?

ira Dec 6th, 2006 07:21 AM

>If you've been to Amsterdam, did you visit the Red Light district and what were your impressions?<

Yes. Tawdry.

((I))

sallyjane3 Dec 6th, 2006 07:48 AM

Yes.

Totally agree with ira.

IF I had been allowed to take a photo (which, of course, I wasn't), I could have gotten a nice shot of two scantily clad women in windows next to a sweet little church. Surreal.

kleeblatt Dec 6th, 2006 07:57 AM

Good word: Surreal

ms_go Dec 6th, 2006 08:04 AM

Yes, we were just in Amsterdam about a week and a half ago and did walk through the Red Light District a few times--primarily to get to other things we wanted to see. It was about what I expected, but I was surprised to see brothels in areas outside of where I'd expected them to be--i.e., around the Singel.

I did have a bit of deja vu a couple of days ago, though. I was driving down my street and the neighbor's house caught my eye. They've put red bulbs in all of the front porch lights for the holidays, creating an effect very similar to the lights on some of the brothels. My first reaction was to look to see whether the curtains were open or closed. :))

travel_fun Dec 6th, 2006 08:19 AM

Interesting to see this thread...taking it in another direction...

We're going to be in Paris in a couple of weeks.. we've been thinking about a possible side trip to Amsterdam..

Interested to see that you ms_go have just been there.. I've been wondering about visiting for a few days - train from paris to amsterdam and stay maybe 2 nights.. what should I expect for weather? what were the sights/museums you most enjoyed?

Would love to hear any suggestions.

ms_go Dec 6th, 2006 08:29 AM

travel fun - we do have a trip report here, but you've just reminded me that I need to post the final part on what we did (will try to do that later today). Anyway, here's the link in case this is helpful. We really enjoyed Amsterdam, by the way.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34905457

jayne1973 Dec 6th, 2006 08:40 AM

We were there in October and the Red Light District's atmosphere was more like a carnival than anything. Frankly, it wasn't nearly as sleazy as I expected.

AnnMarie_C Dec 6th, 2006 08:51 AM

We were there in 2002 and I'll admit that I was completely fascinated by the on-goings in the Red Light District and struck by the beauty of the women that I saw there.

waring Dec 6th, 2006 09:28 AM

When I was last there I had a pretty lady in a window wave her manhood at me....

PalenqueBob Dec 6th, 2006 09:32 AM

I've thought it strange that Amsterdam, one of the world's premier gay capitals never had men in windows - or just for ladies as well to gratify themselves!

mjz Dec 6th, 2006 09:38 AM

LOL at waring!

I thought the Red Light was a complete hoot.

travel_fun Dec 6th, 2006 09:42 AM

Thanks ms_go
looking forward to the rest of your trip report!

AnnMarie_C Dec 6th, 2006 10:10 AM

lol, waring!

Bob, as waring jokes, there were men in the windows, too, at least one of the streets we walked through, but they were disguised as women. ;-)

kleeblatt Dec 6th, 2006 11:40 AM

We had a guide take us through the red light district. She showed us where the men were standing in the windows. They were gorgeous and sexy, but I'm not sure if their customers were male or female.

PalenqueBob Dec 6th, 2006 11:44 AM

This must be a recent development as i have walked around practically every nook and cranny in this area and never saw guys in windows - not that there's anything wrong with that (quote: Kramer)

Dukey Dec 6th, 2006 12:39 PM

Bob:

When you were exploring "every nook and cranny" did you happen to venture into the S+M hotel?

PalenqueBob Dec 6th, 2006 12:59 PM

I went in but couldn't make it out.

No - can you tell me where it is - this is potentially valuable info! Not for personal use but for my like of weird things in Europe to voyeur!

Dukey Dec 6th, 2006 01:07 PM

Hmmm...well far be it from me to divulge any further info except to say that it is conveniently located close to the Centraal Station.

The owner has a definite bias against any sort of voyeur activity.

trafaelwyr Dec 6th, 2006 01:46 PM

I visited the Red Light district in '96 and '97 and must admit that the first time I went there was just to be able to say that I'd been there, done that, seen the women. Woohoo. I think the first time you visit that area is just for the 'shock' value (or the 'titillating' aspect of it).