Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amsterdam Travel in Nov Dec (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amsterdam-travel-in-nov-dec-568448/)

DrBrownEye Nov 2nd, 2005 04:43 PM

Amsterdam Travel in Nov Dec

Hello,

I am traveling with my wife to Amsterdam in Late Nov 2005 to Early Dec 2005. What is the weather like at this time? Do we need winter jackets? Anything special going on at this time?

Also, We are staying at the NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky. Does anyone have any comments on this hotel? The reviews I have read are mixed on this hotel. We wanted to stay at a 5 star hotel neaer Dam Square for our 1st time in A'Dam

WallyKringen Nov 2nd, 2005 05:15 PM

Can't address the hotel question, but I suggest warm clothes against the fierce winds that can spring up. Ankle length if possible or your legs will hate you. At other times it can be mellow, so be prepared to peel off a layer or two.

Enjoy and walk a lot - take a compass, everything bends around and you lose your sense of north-south if the sky is grey. Much fun!

WK

martytravels Nov 2nd, 2005 05:41 PM

Check out tripadvisor.com. There are plenty of honest user reviews on the Krasnapolsky, and I think on balance they're quite positive.

Ida101 Nov 5th, 2005 06:27 AM

Kras is a "nice old lady". It has had some renovations and is up-to-date now. Of course in the center of town, so maybe some rooms get noise from the streets.
Opposite the Roal palce and next to "Bijenkorf", nice big shop.

richardsonsnm Nov 5th, 2005 11:54 AM

weatherbase.com for weather reports, and yes, you will need to dress in layers, it gets rather windy and cold, and far as a 5 star hotel, check out: www.thegrand.nl, excellent hotel, great location.

TracyB Nov 27th, 2005 08:36 PM

I have been to Amsterdam a few times in November and almost froze to death..(and i am from Canada, where we get very cold winters)..I find the cold goes right through you..I wore winter jacket and mitts the whole time..Every now and then there was a nice day, so those 3 in 1 jackets work well.. but i remember it raining so hard some days!! Bring an umbrella, although you can buy them anywhere if you forget..

Tulips Nov 27th, 2005 11:10 PM

The Krasnapolsky is indeed a grand old hotel. The cheapest rooms are awful; don't go for those. The other rooms are fine, and they have a beautiful breakfast room with a great buffet breakfast.
The Grand is not far from there, and is excellent too (perhaps a bit more 'chique').
December 5 is Sinterklaas; this is when children traditionally get their presents (not at Christmas). If you are still there, most locals will spend the evening at home, with family.
Go have a look in the Bijenkorf for a general idea on what Sinterklaas is about. There are lots of special Sinterklaas sweets, such as speculaas and pepernoten (a bit like gingerbread cookies), marzipan in all shapes and formes, cakes filled with almond paste. You will find all this at the Bijenkorf.