Amsterdam to Paris train travel

Apr 10th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam to Paris train travel

Just out of curiosity, do you go through customs on the Thalys train from Amsterdam to Paris? Are there any searches?
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:22 AM

No customs or immigration. However, I have on several occasions seen drug-sniffing dogs greet the trains from AMS at the Paris station (Gare du Nord).
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:26 AM

The Netherlands, Belgium and France are all Schengen countries: the Schengen agreement abolished passport and customs controls between these countries.
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Just for the record, because of terrorism threats, there are greater attention to checking passengers on international trains these days.

Last June, I took a train from Frankfurt to Paris...at the French border several French customs and immigration officers got on the train and checked a few, by no means all, passports. Mine wasn't checked.

I suppose it would be the same on the Thalys train from Amsterdam to Paris.
Apr 10th, 2006, 09:01 AM

geoflag,
Just did this exact route last week... Although there were police with dogs checking random (or not so random?) individuals in the Paris train station, there was not an official custom check on either end.
Apr 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM

There are drug searches on trains between Belgium and Paris by French police - targeting often young travelers who may be bringing back legal bud or shrooms from Netherlands to France where they are strictly illegal. At times dogs are employed. Passports are rarely checked, if you're Caucasian. You will even see roadblocks well inside France where the Douaniers (Customs agents) with dogs sniff out cars - i've read in local paper in Orleans, well away from the border a Dutch vehicle being busted there on a main road. Schengen agreements apparently don't apply to drug or terrorism searches.
Apr 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Agree. Just took a trip from Paris to Brussels - going by local commuter-type InterCity train and coming by Thalys. No border documents or customs checks and the only drug sniffing dog I saw was upon return to ATL airport in the US.
Apr 10th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

I'm not really worried about passport checks. However, I will be in Amsterdam for a week partaking of local, legal, pleasures and, since I'm traveling on business, it would be embarrassing if any residue odors alerted dogs upon arrival in Paris. I am a white male in my late 40's.