Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam to London--train/ferry experience?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am exploring a combination of these two cities for a week-long trip in May. (Close relative will be directing a play in London and we want to be there for opening night.)

I am considering beginning the trip with a few days in Amsterdam and then moving on to London.

I understand that there are several ways to travel between Amsterdam and London (plane, bus, train, and train/ferry).

The train/ferry trip via Hook of Holland sounds intriguing and I would like to read the experiences of those who have taken this route. We like trains and ferries, and I was thinking of taking the overnight trip...

How are the sleeping arrangements? Is the ferry trip an experience worth trying?

Many thanks!

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:03 AM

It's a very good way of travelling overnight between the two countries. The ships' cabins are very good, in my experience, but the ships are otherwise dreary. There are bars and restaurants, but don't expect the entertainment and cruise-type facilities found on many overnight services.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Geoff: Many thanks!

I don't care much about entertainment; I am interested in knowing about the cabins' comfort level and cleanliness...as long as there is a good chance for a night's sleep it might be fun for someone (me) who has never taken a trip like this...

And I would not have to spend a good part of the day traveling, which would seem to the case with the train..

Anyway, good to know there are options...
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM

The ships are modern and the cabins, I think, are very good - spacious and well-fitted. All cabins have bathrooms with a shower and toilet.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Geoff: Sounds good. I like the overnight ferry option because we have such a limited amount of time and would prefer not to spend the good part of the day on the train trip, via Brussels...

Many thanks!
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Ferries are great, but why not fly and be there in an hour? That way you would have time to enjoy each city. I flew from London City Airport to Amsterdam and back and the London city airport is right there in London. I flew British Airways.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 02:09 PM

ekscrunchy,

Might I suggest passing through in delicious Belgium instead?

I adore Amsterdam for its architecture, shopping and musuems, but I try not to eat there!

Belgium, however.....

*sigh*

If the weather wasn't so lousy, I'd live there, just to eat the divine food.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 12:29 AM

Why on earth wouldn't you eat in Amsterdam?
There are better mussels,a and friets to be had in Holland (the Belgian ones all come from Holland anyway).
There is Indonesian food, Surinaamse food, practically every other cuisine known to man available in Amsterdam.
There are several Michelin starred restaurants.
Traditional Belgian food is really not that much different to traditional Dutch food - they do share a long history together after all.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 12:54 AM

hetismij, last time we had this conversation, you wrote:

Author: hetismij
Date: 07/22/2008, 08:40 am
Dutch cuisine is not my favourite either, but I do enjoy Indonesian food, and there are plenty of restaurants, indeed the majority, in Amsterdam that serve anything but Dutch food. Practically every cuisine you you wish for is represented there somewhere.

I try not to eat in Amsterdam because I don't like Indonesian or Dutch food, and I'd rather eat Belgian cooking in Belgium (or French cooking in France and Italian in Italy).

ekscrunchy,

You might find this useful:

http://www.schmap.com/amsterdam/rest...s_traditional/