Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam to London... recommended airport?

Apr 17th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

We will be arriving back in London from Amsterdam and would like to hire a car to tour the Cotswolds for several days. Is one of the many London airports preferable or one to avoid?

$60 LCY: London City Airport
$60 LGW: Gatwick
$96 LHR: Heathrow
$60 LTN: Luton Airport
$60 SEN: Southend
$60 STN: Stansted

EasyJet has the most offerings but there are reasonably priced flights by other carriers. We plan on having a small (20 inch) suitcase and backpack or laptop-sized bag for each of us.

Many thanks...
Apr 17th, 2013, 05:30 AM

To the Cotswolds Heathrow or Luton are probably your best bet and most convenient, Gatwick the next convenient.
Apr 17th, 2013, 05:30 AM

Heathrow will put you closest to where you want to go.

exit airport, rent car, head west.

preferably not between 7 and 10 am.
Apr 17th, 2013, 05:31 AM

Meant to add that Southend and City are likely your worst options.
Apr 17th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses!! This helps me sift through the offerings. I agree, I don't want to fight with the business travelers (nor do I want to leave Amsterdam at the crack of dawn)... so am targeting a flight after 11 am.
Apr 17th, 2013, 05:43 AM

Whichever airline you consider, read the baggage information on its website carefully. Some will not allow you to carry two bags into the cabin.
Apr 17th, 2013, 07:21 AM

Southampton and Birmingham airports are both nearer (in elapsed time) to the Cotswolds than any of the London airports, except Heathrow.
Apr 17th, 2013, 07:46 AM

Also look at flights to Bristol.

Rule number one - if your destination is not London, avoid. There are very often better alternative routes.
Apr 17th, 2013, 08:01 AM

This helps me sift through the offerings. I agree, I don't want to fight with the business travelers>>

it wasn't your fellow travellers that i was thinking about so much as the M25 traffic!

but Bristol is a MUCH better idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that as it's our "local" airport - it's only a 3 hour drive from here.

also flights with KLM from AMS.

puts you much closer plus you avoid LHR AND the M25. Result!
Apr 17th, 2013, 08:26 AM

[Bristol] "puts you much closer"

To Bath, possibly. But not to the rural Cotswolds.

Very difficult indeed to find anywhere in the Cotswolds closer to any airport other than Birmingham, and Bristol's truly hopeless for the NE Cotswolds. But it depends where the poster's heading.

The real point is to forget about Gatwick, Stansted, Southend, Luton and City unless there's a strong financial case. It's rare for Heathrow to match other airports on price - but these things are never completely predictable.
Apr 17th, 2013, 08:49 AM

My order of choice would be 1) Birmingham, 2) LHR and Bristol 3)

Any would be a decent drive to most parts of the Cotswolds. Getting out of LHR is flat easy and your best choice of flight times might be there.

I'd choose Bristol only if it is enough cheaper than B'ham to make a difference budget wise, or if you are staying in the very southern Cotswolds. If fares are comparable - for Burford and there abouts I'd probably choose LHR. For Chipping Campden area - Birmingham.

I would not choose any of the other airports.
Apr 17th, 2013, 11:53 AM

jj - why not Bristol?

it's close to motorways, a nice easy drive to Bath, and for those who like the scenic route, near to the Fosse Way [an old roman road that cuts through the Cotswolds going past Westonbirt, through Tetbury and Cirencester, and up to Stow on the Wold and Moreton in Marsh].

The airport itself is a good size and you've got all the hire car companies there.
Apr 18th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

We are tentatively booked into an apartment in Chipping Camden (have the paperwork filled out but haven't emailed it back), but I want to be sure that we get down to Salisbury as well. Birmingham is the closest airport to Chipping Camden. I would also like to see Bristol and annhig's "scenic route" is appealing.

We are staying in Twickenham/Richmond for the first 5 nights of our journey and London for the last 4 nights, so could do a day trip from either of those places if driving from Chipping Camden to Wessex is too much.
Apr 18th, 2013, 03:58 AM

"jj - why not Bristol?[airport]"

Bristol. It's in the way: Birmingham, Southampton and the M25 (from Heathrow) aren't.

Incidentally, the flannerclan record from an airport to the first "Cotswolds start here" sign (in deep rural England, we have to make our own amusement) is from Southampton.