Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amsterdam to ? in November by train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amsterdam-to-in-november-by-train-915459/)

nmilller1950 Dec 20th, 2011 02:47 PM

Amsterdam to ? in November by train

My husband will be in Amsterdam on business next November and I am tagging along. We'd like to take an additional 10 days or so to explore by train, and are seeking suggestions for an itinerary. Amsterdam, Brussles, Brugee, Paris? Or Austria and Switzerland? Any other suggestions? We area fit couple in our early 60s, who love to hike, especially in mountains --but it will probably be too cold for this is November, yes?. We also enjoy museums, history, art, and music.

Michael Dec 20th, 2011 02:51 PM

Why not just stay in the Benelux and explore the area by train? You use Amsterdam as a base for the Dutch area you want to explore and Brussels or Antwerp for the Belgian areas.

SISer Dec 20th, 2011 03:12 PM

Brugges is a gem, don't miss it.

There are many places you can visit near Amsterdam too, the Hague, Delft, Gouda, etc. With just 10 days I'd stay in Benelux.

kybourbon Dec 20th, 2011 04:56 PM

Don't forget daylight hours will be very short at that time of year.

spaarne Dec 20th, 2011 07:56 PM

Amsterdam, Paris, and Bruges would satisfy my hiking legs. For an illustrated introduction to European trains see http://tinyurl.com/eym5b.

Man_in_seat_61 Dec 22nd, 2011 12:13 PM

You can reach central Paris in just 3 hours 10 minutes from central Amsterdam, by 186 mph Thalys train, from just 35 euros, www.thalys.com

Brussels is 1 hour 55 by Thalys www.thalys.com or 2 hours 55 by hourly InterCity train for a flat 35 euros or thereabouts.

If you've never been to Brussels or Paris I'd stick with those, but if you have, how about Prague or Copenhagen? City Nigh Line sleeper train leaves Amsterdam at 19:01, arrives Prague 09:29 or Copenhagen at 10:07 next morning, centre to centre from 49 euros with couchete or 79 euros with bed in a 20-bed sleeper, breakfast included, shower at the end of the corridor. Book at www.bahn.de

Or Berlin? From 29 euros, train every couple of hours, www.bahn.de

nmilller1950 Dec 27th, 2011 10:12 AM

Thank you all....so many great suggestions! Man-in-seat: the specifics you gave will help greatly in making our decision. We have been to Paris before, so we may skip it this time and stick to Benelux--but now I'm also curious about Prague and/or Copenhagen. Hmmmm....some fun travel planning ahead!

PalenQ Jan 17th, 2012 03:16 AM

ttt

PalenQ Jan 18th, 2012 08:55 AM

for great info on European trains and suggested itineraries as queried in OP statement I highly recommend these fantastic IMO sites - www.seat61.com; www.budgteteuropetravel.com (download their free and superb IMO European Planning & Rail Guide for suggested rail itineraries in each country) and www.ricksteves.com

suze Jan 18th, 2012 09:51 AM

If you want to pair Switzerland with Amsterdam. I'd fly between the two. I love Switzerland but it's kind of a long train trip when you only have 10 days.

spaarne Jan 19th, 2012 04:21 PM

Ditto suze. Look at flight schedules and train schedules. Amsterdam to any of the major cities of Switzerland is rather inconvenient by train, and probably cheaper by plane.

I will never understand why people pay thousands to go to Europe to hike in mountains. AYK? Stoopud. I've seen Pike's Peak and Mont Blanc. Duh. If you must hike do it through Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Rome, Riga, Istanbul, etc., etc. Learn a bit about the culture of Europe, sit at a cafe and talk with the locals. The only virtue of hiking the hills of Europe is to find mushrooms. One of my German friends is a mushroom expert and collects the most delicious fungi in the Spessart.

PalenQ Jan 20th, 2012 09:22 AM

The only virtue of hiking the hills of Europe is to find mushrooms>

mushrooms can be found readily in Amsterdam as well!

spaarne Jan 20th, 2012 02:43 PM

<i>PalenQ on Jan 20, 12 at 1:22pm
The only virtue of hiking the hills of Europe is to find mushrooms>
mushrooms can be found readily in Amsterdam as well!</i>

That's great PalenQ. LOL.

Michael Jan 20th, 2012 03:32 PM

<i>I will never understand why people pay thousands to go to Europe to hike in mountains. AYK? Stoopud. I've seen Pike's Peak and Mont Blanc. Duh. If you must hike do it through Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Rome, Riga, Istanbul, etc., etc. Learn a bit about the culture of Europe, sit at a cafe and talk with the locals.</i>

There is a difference between the U.S. mountains and Europe's. As a Dutch student explained to me a long time ago while camping in Yellowstone, when one hikes down the mountain in Europe, one is bound to find civilization; that is not the case in the U.S. It also means that one experiences Alpine culture in Europe--tourists just loving those mountain chalets and villages. So if a U.S. resident is from the East Coast, perhaps Florida, seeing the Alps might make as much or more sense than seeing the Rockies or the Sierra, especially if the traveler is loath to drive in the mountains.