Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What would be a good area in the UK to rent a cottage for a week this summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are maybe thinking about looking at a week in London and then would like to rent a car and get out into the country for a more active vacation. We'd want to do some sightseeing, but are pretty churched and museumed out. Would like to rent a small cottage or house this summer, and want to be based in an interesting area where there are lots of smal quaint villages and towns we could bike or walk in (or any other outdoor activity). What would you suggest for an area in which we could base ourselves and keep ourselves amused for a week? We are low-key budget type travellers who like a mix of local culture, the arts, festivals, scenic beauty, active pursuits, and nature. Not looking for anything fancy or upscale? Thanks in advance. We've done lots of European travel, but have never travelled in the UK.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:42 AM

The Cotswolds, or farther north in the lake district, would be my two choices.
Good luck.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:48 AM
ron

The Gower peninsula or Pembrokeshire coast in Wales would be my two choices.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Julies, I found this website for another poster. It features lovely farm cottages and country houses down here in Kent to stay in

http://www.farm-stay-kent.co.uk/accommodation.htm

In Kent, you can get to Leeds Castle (Nr Maidstone), Canterbury Cathedral (although I realise you are 'churched out'.. (I felt like that after visiting Malta!), Dover (for the Castle). These are the usual sites, but also Kent has lovely little villages with curio shops, for example, Biddenden, Tenterden and villages with windmills such as Headcorn. You can get to the continent for a day trip, or go to Paris for a trip via Ashford International Station. Also, the village of Rye is gorgeous, it has everything a quaint village should have... haunted pub, cobbled streets, tearooms selling cream teas, a marina with boats bobbing about, antique and old book shops etc.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 12:00 PM

We rented a cottage in the Cotswolds a few summers ago, and contrary to popular belief, it wasn't horrifically crowded at all (OK, a bit during the day when the tour buses stopped in, but the evenings were lovely.) We stayed in Burford, which is a small town but has an excellent butcher, baker, grocer, delicatessen, and several very good pubs and restaurants. It's a good base for touring other parts of the Cotswolds and it's a short bus ride or drive out of Oxford, and a slightly longer one from Bath. Plus, there are several good walking trails around the Cotswolds, and the area is just lovely.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 12:31 PM

It depends on how far you want to be away from London.

The obvious choices would be Kent or the Cotswolds - both areas have hundreds of cottages for rent - but many book up far ahead so you may need to hunt. You Can't go wrong with either.

But other areas to consider -- North Wales somewhere west of Shrewsbury. From there you could do day trips all over Wales, to Chester, Snowdonia and beautiful coast lines.

Or -- North Yorkshire - again beautiful coastline plus the Moors, York, easy access to the Dales, Durham, etc.

Or - East Anglia - near Norfolk or on the coast. Theis is really interesting country - flower farms, wind mills, the Fens, etc.

Or of course you could go up to Scotland. A Cottage near Stirling would let you see some beautiful scenery, castles, lochs and be close enough for a day trip in to Edinburgh.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll put in a bid for Dartmoor, Devon or Cornwall. Lots of beautiful villages and wonderful walks.

Which ever region you settle on, consider investing in a copy of Village Walks in Britain (publ. by WW Norton & Co.) It details over 150 village walks in England, Scotland and Wales for all abilities
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I'm starting to investigate.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 02:35 PM

Hope you can find something to suit..middle of June and the best ones might be gone! Some book up a year in advance.

You might try the National Trust website, they have many properties that are historic and well situated
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 04:24 PM

Hi Julies....

I enjoy the sleepy-little-village-off-the-beaten-path type of areas as well and have been renting cottages for a few years in the UK countryside. Some places I can highly recommend....

Stanton Court Cottages in the town of Stanton in the Cotswolds
http://www.stantoncourt.co.uk/
So many other quaint villages you can explore from here and The Cotswold Way is a great walk and you can pick it up almost anywhere.

At Premier Cottages
http://www.premiercottages.co.uk/index.asp

I have stayed at Combermere Abbey in Whitchurch, Shropshire in 99...

Tan-Y-Rhiw Cottage, Llanbedr, Snowdonia, North Wales in 2000...

Neuadd Farm Cottages, Llwyndafydd, Llandysul, Cardiganshire, Wales this past May. (All of these through the Premier site) This place especially (Neuadd) had many beautiful walks along the Cardigan Bay Coast. Lots of little hidden coves...breathtaking!!!!

Also, in April I was in Aberfeldy, Scotland and stayed in The Lavender Cottage....website....
http://www.aberfeldycottages.co.uk/
on this site you can take virtual tours of the cottages! The Birks of Aberfeldy was an incredible 1 1/2 hour hike and seeing the Falls of Moness!!

The list is endless in this category!!!! Enjoy and good luck

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 07:50 PM

Devon would be a good location (though the narrow roads take a little getting used to for US drivers).

I would consider looking into some of the Landmark Trust properties; You have to pay around $25 for the listing book, but it is worth it just for the entertainment value of the book. As an example, it's possible to stay at Hampton Court Palace.

Another possibility would be to rent a canal boat (houseboat) and putter along some of the old canals and villages. At 4 mph, you don't cover a lot of ground, but it is a different way to see the countryside.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Sylvia

I'd second East Anglia. Some parts are just as chocolate box pretty as the Cotswolds but the area is far less touristy. The tourists who do visit tend to be British. If you like the novels of P.D. James, many of them are set on the Suffolk coast in the Southwold area.

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 12:45 AM

Hi Julies,
There are some beautiful cottages in uk Devon Cornwall, and West Wales and all the areas mentioned above of course.
However. Its now End June UK holidays are now upon us and schools close in about 4-5 weeks time if you want a cottage between July 25th and sept 6th forget it as they will probably all be booked out by now.
We stayed at Ham farm in Devon a few weeks ago it was gorgeous and just the kind of place you describe.
but its all booked up !
Sorry to be negative but this kind of holiday in the nicest areas needs early booking.
Keep looking though; you may be lucky.
Contact the websites everyone has provided and ask them what they have available.
I wish you well with your search and I hope you are lucky.

Muck
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 08:36 AM

Julies: Contact this company for cottages out of London to rent for a week, Asyoulikeit.com Telephone #415-380-9848, Good Luck