Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam: The Grand (Demeure) Hotel or The Canal House?

May 23rd, 2003, 11:49 AM
Unn

We will be in Amsterdam this summer for several days and have narrowed it down to these 2 hotels. I've been reading these posts about the areas to stay out of. The Grand doesn't look that close to the train station, but now I'm not sure. Is it a dirty area? My husband wants to stay there but I think the Canal House sounds so charming. He thinks without air conditioning we'll be eaten alive. What do you think? Thanks so much!

May 23rd, 2003, 11:55 AM

I was in Amsterdam last July for the first time, the weather was pleasant some sun, some rain, certainly nothing that you'd use A/C for.

The central area around the Dam and train station is not so much "dirty" but dull, gray, and crowded.

I am not familiar with either hotel (I stayed very budget) but can highly recommend the neighborhoods of Leidseplein, the canal ring districts, around Vondelpark, and the Jordaan. Very beautiful and engaging.
May 24th, 2003, 12:14 AM

i was last July too. my room was near the Dam, so i needed to close windows (noise), and was really happy i had a/c.
appart from that the neighborhood of the canals are the best.
May 24th, 2003, 10:50 AM

If you are referring to the Canal House on Keizergracht it IS absolutely charming. We stayed there about five years ago, and, although it was probably late August I don't remember being uncomfortable because there was no air conditioning. We were on an upper floor overlooking the Canal. There may have been noise with the windows open, but, who cared. WE WERE OVERLOOKING A CANAL. Not your everyday occurence.

Enjoy.

Marilyn
May 24th, 2003, 01:46 PM

My wife and I have made four visits to the Grand, we were just there early this month. The location is great, it's a very laid back place, great bedding, sauna/steam/pool, great breakfast, i highly recommend it. For sure you should get a rear canal view room if possible. It's quiet, and you can have cocktails and watch all the boats go by, VERY ENTERTAINING!! have fun. By the way, the chinese restaurant just around the corner called China City is great, and super for people watching, get a table on the second floor.
May 25th, 2003, 03:10 AM

The Grand is a very good hotel, with a lovely courtyard that is quiet. The Canal House I do not know, but I have stayed in the Pulitzer, which is a series of canal houses made into one hotel, and that is good too, although the rooms at the Grand are better, I prefer the location of the Pulitzer. The area around Dam Square (where the Grand is)is ok, but the canals are nicer.
May 25th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Ivy

Just returned from amsterdam a few days ago and stayed at the canal house. I would definetly recommend it. The Jordan area is lovely and so close to everything - cafes, galleries, tram stop, ann frank house. The Dam area, on the other hand, is just kind of nasty IMHO- crowded, dirty and loud. Canal house was lovely, the service was fabulous and I can't imagine needing air conditioning in amsterdam. I say book at the canal house for sure!