Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Solo, any tips for a single girl?

Sep 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

I will be in Amsterdam for a week beginning September 15. I'm a bit late in my planning but am wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding places to eat or bars to visit. I will be solo and and I am female. I should also mention that I am in my 40's so I am not interested in any places with a nightclub type atmosphere. I do, however like live music and would love to find some friendly places to eat and hang out. I am staying near Dam Square. Thanks for your help!
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:52 PM

i've spent a lot of time in Amsterdam by myself and I found that eating soups and sandwiches, plus the beer and cheese, was really the most enjoyable kind of dining. There are lots of sandwich and soup eateries all over Amsterdam. Other food in Amsterdam seldom is as good. The local cuisine is just not that great (the beer is great, not the food), but soups are very good.

Maybe the Alto Jazz Cafe for music? Or Maloe Melo for blues?
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM

I suggest that you get a guidebook.
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks menachem, some of those venues look pretty interesting! I will check them out for sure. Aguamineral, I am looking forward to the beer!
Pegontheroad, i do have a guide book but I like to get suggestions from actual people who have been to places they have enjoyed. It's always fun to go off the beaten path a bit.
Sep 2nd, 2012, 10:36 PM

<< i do have a guide book but I like to get suggestions from actual people >>

Hmmm...now I'm wondering who/what is writing the guide books if not "actual people."
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps my wording wasn't entirely correct adrienne, but i am looking for members' personal reccommendations. That's why we all ask questions. No need to be snarky.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:14 PM

Pop into a brown bar (cafe) or two if you have a chance. There are a number of them above the Red Light District, towards the Central Station, although there are some closer to Dam Square. A tiny one that I really enjoyed was Het Elfde Gebod, a Belgian bar on Zeedijk near the Central Station. It was very easy to strike up conversations with locals there. Also, as aguamineral said, the beer is great!
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:19 PM

You may be interested in a thread that PalenQ started, listing Amsterdam favorites. Something in it may strike a chord with you. Have a great trip!

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ite-things.cfm
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:25 PM

I'm not sure I totally agree that the cuisine isn't all that good but that's subjective so I'll leave it alone. A lot of people enjoy the so-called "rice table" dining experience in Amsterdam so you might consider that.
Sep 4th, 2012, 12:55 AM

De Reiger, Nieuwe Leliestraat 34 in the Jordaan, is a casual and friendly place to eat. The Jordaan generally, west of the Dam where you are staying, is a great area.
Sep 4th, 2012, 01:00 AM

Go to the movies in Amsterdam! There is a great movie theater called the Tuschinksi. Book stores are also great. There is a good one in the Spui, but they are all over.

A rice table is usually hard to eat if you are all by yourself. It is meant for a group of people.
Sep 4th, 2012, 05:19 AM
kit

Get a guide book? Wow. That's all we do here..ask for personal recommendations...about restaurants, hotels, and more than a little bit -- about life. Ease up.

I'm in my 40s and like traveliing to Amsterdam, too, single. I concur with the soup and sandwiches suggestion. I'm afraid I never commit to memory the names of my favorite sandwich places; I just navigate by memory. Also, I recommend hopping on the train to Haarlem if you have time (very short ride -- 20 minutes maybe?) I found the "Hiding Place" tour very interesting.
Sep 4th, 2012, 05:56 AM

I second Dukey's recommendation of a rice table at an Indonesian restaurant. I would also recommend the Cobra Cafe near Rijksmuseum on Museum Plaza, not so much for food rather for atmosphere. If you visit Rijksmuseum, you can get 15% off with your ticket at the cafe. September 15th should still be warm enough to sit outside. very enjoyable.
Sep 4th, 2012, 02:02 PM

You get what you pay for: there's excellent food to be had in Amsterdam. Also I'd stay clear of the Red Light District. It's not Hell, but I don't think the atmosphere is particularly nice or necessarily friendly. The area just east to RDL is much nicer, so from Nieuwmarkt east towards Oude Schans, Lastageweg etc. There are some excellent restaurants there too.
Sep 4th, 2012, 02:20 PM

Before you head out for rijsttafel as a solo diner, you might want to read up on what you are in for:

http://www.amsterdamlogue.com/rijstt...-try-dish.html
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Wow, the rijsttafel looks good, but that is a LOT of food! I may have to try it anyway. Thanks so much, there are some really good suggestions here!
Sep 5th, 2012, 10:04 AM

Just go for the standard Indonesian format of rice, with a sayuran (wet vegetable dish), a couple of sambalans that may be meat, fish or vegetable, acar - relish and something crunchy like kerupuk. Rijsttafel is a post colonial invention of how people thought the Dutch ate Indonesian food in colonial times.
Sep 5th, 2012, 07:10 PM

This is tongue-in-cheek, but Zandvoort might be worth a visit:
http://www.amsterdamlogue.com/nude-b...amsterdam.html.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO