Reload this Page >

In London For 12 hours

Search

In London For 12 hours

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 1998, 12:25 PM
Brenda

In London For 12 hours

I have a lay over in London for 12 hours, as I am heading to Greece. What is the best thing to check out in London for such a short amount of time?? Any ideas

Old Mar 25th, 1998, 07:46 PM
Boris

I would forget running around trying to see Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, etc. In 12 hours you would just get frustrated and exhausted. I suggest taking a river cruise to Greenwich - where time starts. You catch the boat by the Parliament Buildings. The tour shows you alot of the history of London in a few hours. At Greenwich you can see the Cutty sark, the meridian, walk under the Thames. After the boat drops you back at Big Ben you can walk up to Trafalgar Sq and then to Picadilly Circus. There's a tube station there which takes you back to Heathrow. Hope this helps.

Old Mar 26th, 1998, 07:02 AM
Kim

I am assuming you haven't been to London before so here goes.....I would go directly from the airport to Victoria Station and take a double decker bus city tour -- the brief one that gives you an overview of the city. It is a nice way to get your bearings and some fresh air. I would then head to the Tower of London for the full tour followed by a walk across the Tower Bridge. If you are going to be there at night, the Changing of the Keys ceremony at the Tower is something to see. You must make arrangments before you go though. Then you will probably still have time for a spot that caught your eye on the double decker bus. I would skip changing of the guard, Trafalgar Square, etc. Hope you have a nice time in Greece!

Old Mar 26th, 1998, 08:07 AM
Charlotte

How funny...I did the exact same thing last April--a 12 hour whirlwind tour of London on a layover to Greece!

What I did was check in my baggage at Heathrow (they have baggage attendants who will watch your bags for a small fee). Then I took the Underground to the Tower of London. This trip took almost an hour! So I read my guidebook on the train and planned out where to go.

First I went to the Tower of London, then I walked around the river and ate lunch at a nearby place. Then I took the Underground to Parliament and saw Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. Then I walked through the park to Buckingham Palace. I walked up to Picadilly Circus, and then did some shopping before I walked on to Covent Garden. I got some coffee in Covent Garden and watched some street entertainers as the sun set. Then I caught the train back to the airport.

I didn't take any tours, but I did a lot of walking and managed to see much of the sights. It is extremely easy to navigate through London, because the subway system is superb and there are many tourist maps available for sight seeing.

Old Mar 27th, 1998, 08:58 AM
Mavis

Hi there. I think the idea re: the double-decker tour is a good one. I'd get off by Buckingham Palace, walk the back way to the Cabinet War Rooms. Where Churchill conducted the war from, amazing place. Then I'd walk towards the river, have lunch somewhere interesting, then walk through the Courtald Institute - full of Impressionist paintings. I'd then head towards Trafalgar Square and dip into the National Portrait Gallery gift shop. If there was any time left I'd walk through Harrods - don't miss the Food Halls, then catch the tube back to the airport. Or I'd just go to the theatre, have a lovely dinner at the Basil Street Hotel and return to the airport. Have fun in Greece - if you have a chance check out Paxos, lovely little island.

Old Mar 27th, 1998, 09:19 AM
roger

I agree with what has been said but it would depend somewhat on your age, time period of your 12 hour period, and your likes. If you are into art you might want to visit the many gallaries and museums, If not you might want to vitit prinicipal places such as Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, St. Pauls, Tower of London. Then, perhaps a stroll thru Hyde park. In any event I am sure that you will not be disappointed.

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 02:24 PM
Marty

Don't waste time at Harrod's. It is, after all, just a store. If you want to shop, go to Covent Gardens.Those double-decker, "hop on- hop off" buses are a great way to get an overview. You can hop off, look around for 15 minutes or so, and hop on the next bus by. Plan to spend time at the Tower of London. Do use the "tube". It is so efficient and so easy to use.

Old Mar 30th, 1998, 03:34 PM
Saul

It's amazing how my home city sounds so greta when viewed through tourists' eyes. And you seem to think that the Tube is great ! Try taking it day-in, day-out ! On a serious note, the dobule-decker bus is a good idea - most of them allow you to hop on and off as and when you wish, if something takes your fancy. As you'll only be able to stratch the surface in 12 hours, pick out one or two things. Personally, I think Big Ben and the House of Paliament look quite spectacular at night, and so does the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. St Paul's is worth a look as well. Whatever you do, enjoy it.