Amsterdam or Basel,Switzerland?

Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Amsterdam or Basel,Switzerland?

We are going on one of the Christmas Market River Cruises on the Rhine. We are thinking about extending the trip for a couple of days. Does anyone have an opinion of the best city to see? We can't do both, time and money restrict that...So would you spend those extra days in Basel or in Amsterdam? I know this is a subjective thing, nevertheless, I want some opinions.
Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:06 PM

I have not been to Amsterdam, so I can not help you on that one - however, we spent last New Years Eve in Basel and it was an amazing time and a city I would like to return to. Depends on what you like and are looking for : amazing museums, great food, walkable almost everywhere, great people, wonderful shopping, just fell in love with it all.

If you want to, below is a tiny url link to my trip report, and if you scroll down to Day 7, which is where we began our time in Basel, reading about our experience might interest you. I am sure either place would be wonderful!

http://tinyurl.com/zsthl
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Just back from a Rhine cruise. I would suggest most of your extra time should be in Amsterdam. It's a fascinating place with many things to do and see in a relatively compact area. Basel is nice, too, but I don't think it has the range of possibilites that Amsterdam offers
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Basel is a cute little city - and there are certainly things to see and do. But Amsterdam is a much larger city with numerous major tourist attractions, museums etc - and I think about 5 times as interesting.
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM

I have been to both and my vote is for Amsterdam. Just back- exceeded my high expectations. Check out Estherea Hotel at Trip Advisor.Anne Frank Huis, Museums, canals, Leidesplein area for entertainment. Wonderful place to visit.
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM

I have also been to both - twice each. Basel is pretty with interesting museums, the river, etc. Amsterdam has great museums, canals, charming buildings, wonderful variety of people and foods. A very definite vote for Amsterdam.

Jun 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM

One more vote for Amsterdam, but in fairness to Basel, it is a nice place that doesn't get the attention from tourists that it deserves.
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM

I live in Switzerland and would prefer to go to Amsterdam than Basel.

Jun 10th, 2008, 11:42 PM

Amsterdam was very cool - I really liked the dutch resistance museum and anne frank huis, I also liked the canal tour. Lots to do and see there
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:43 PM

Another vote for Amsterdam. I have also been to both and think Amsterdam is a much more interesting and picturesque city. It's one of my all time favorites!
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:58 AM

the post started in 2006 - but maybe marlib will return and tell us where he/she went and if it was enjoyed !