Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam, Naples, Venice, Dublin, or Milan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have about 4 days open for fun during my travels to London in May. I know that I can get a flight to any of the the above cities for under 100 US dollars, so I definately want to take advantage of it.

But I am sooo confused as to where to go....part of me wants to visit Italy, though I have a nagging fear that once I leave its soil, it will always be nagging at me to return......part of me wants to visit Dublin, but I was told that it is mainly a very urban feeling, and without a rental car, I would not be able to see many of its green vastness or shores.

I am traveling alone, and will probably be having one of those large luggages on wheels type deals.

Where would you go and why? Oh, and I would also need to be able to find a city that has good transportation and where I can find a hotel for around 60-70 US dollars.

thank you everyone!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Your budget excludes Milan, and besides, Milan is VERY urban. To visit Venice, I would recommend looking for accommodation a bit outside Venice (start with Mestre) and commuting in by train or bus.

It's very likel if you go to Italy you will want to return, but so what?

There are quaint and sweet B&Bs in Amsterdam in the low-budget range. Amsterdam is a VERY BEAUTIFUL town with canals, cyclists, and fabulous museums. If you get a hankering for the countryside, a 20 minute train ride gets you there, and you can rent a bike in most places and enjoy a nice flat ride.

Of your choices, I'd go to Amsterdam -- although I've never been to Dublin and before taking just one person's opinion of it, I'd check around to see if you could do some countryside touring even without a car.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM

I forgot Naples! I don't think your budget allows for Naples. In Naples, you really need to get yourself into a secure hotel, and I wouldn't trust anything under $150 USD.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Hi birthdaygirlstrip, do forget about Naples and Milan. Those are cities where you want to stay in a better hotel than your budget allows. Although I have only been to the airport, not the city, I too would suggest Amsterdam. It seems that most everyone really enjoys Amsterdam (including a lot of my family members) and from everything I have read lodging is less expensive. Best wishes.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:34 AM

For my money Venice is by far the most beautiful of those cities followed by Amsterdam (and I'm a Dubliner!). They also both offer more contrast with London than Dublin would.

Venice is one of the most beautiful cities I've seen - I'm going back in May to take my husband there because I don't think he should go through life without visiting Venice! As has been mentioned though, accommodation in Venice is pricey - I'll eat my hat if you can find a hotel there for USD60-70 !- and it is a longer flight than Amsterdam or Dublin.

Maybe Amsterdam is the most practical option for you - it is a lovely city, plenty of budget accommodation and a relatively short journey from London.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:09 AM
Pausanias

Another vote for Amsterdam, based mainly on your budget, which as others have said pretty much rules out Naples and Milan. (You might be able to snag a convent room in Rome for that, though.) The length of time is also just about perfect for Amsterdam. You'll pretty much be able to see it all.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:28 AM

Hi, birthdaygirl.

There are a few hotels in Venice that might have single rooms in your price range depending on demand, but not with a private bath; e.g., the Citta di Milano. Generally clean and safe, but not a lot of extras.

There are also hostels and convents--you can probably find something on them here at Fodors if you use the search feature.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:03 AM

Amsterdam or Venice.