Amsterdam moped rentals?

Mar 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
ltr
Original Poster

Amsterdam moped rentals?

We will be in Amsterdam next month and would really like to ride a bike through Vonderpark but my bad knee is just not going to cooperate. I have seen scooter rentals but not sure they can be used in Vonderpark. Are there mopeds available for rent?
Mar 11th, 2010, 12:33 AM

Brommers (mopeds) are not allowed in the Vondelpark. Even if you see people on them you are not allowed to ride them there and could face a fine if caught. As a foreigner you would need to pay the fine on the spot.

I am not sure what the rules are regarding hiring brommers - Dutch people need a brommer licence to ride one.

Maybe you should see if it is possible to hire an electric bike, which makes cycling easier - you still have to pedal, but the electric motor does some of the work.
Mar 11th, 2010, 04:44 AM
ltr
Original Poster

Maybe an electric bike is what I was thinking, not a moped. I can pedal but any extra help could save this old body. I would like to be able to walk the next day LOL. Would an electric bike be allowed in Vondelpark?
Mar 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM

An electric bike is allowed yes, but one with a petrol motor of any sort is not. I don't know if you can hire electric bikes - they are very expensive so if you can expect to pay a heft deposit.
Mar 11th, 2010, 12:57 PM

I have found places which hire electric scooters, but I think they are still classed as brommers because of their speed and so aren't allowed in the Vondel Park either. You could contact one of the companies that hires them to check.

www.dutchbikeamsterdam.nl/
www.amsterbike.eu/

These have e-bikes for rent, but th esite is only in Dutch try sending them an e-mail:
www.tontweewielers.nl

Alternatively try an Omafiets, a granny bike - they are really easy to ride and very easy on the knees.
http://www.starbikesrental.com/bikes.html
Mar 13th, 2010, 03:09 AM
ltr
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the help! I will check them all out. It sounds like the granny bike might work well for me. If I don't ride too far, then if I run into issues, I can always walk the bike back to the rental location.