Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amsterdam May 28 public transit strike (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amsterdam-may-28-public-transit-strike-1667467/)

greg May 24th, 2019 02:13 PM

Amsterdam May 28 public transit strike
 
I would like get updates from the locals on the May 28th public transit strike in Amsterdam. https://nltimes.nl/2019/05/20/nearly...abour-supports I have been hit with strikes in France, Spain, Greece, Italy, and Germany, but so far never in the Netherlands as it seem to be rare but not rare eough to hit me on the day I travel to Amsterdam. What are the possible developments?

PalenQ May 24th, 2019 02:19 PM

It may be the best town for that as everything is walkable except may hotels farther out. And walking or biking could be the only way as taxis could be all booked. Greg knows this but for others...

Tulips May 24th, 2019 09:06 PM

I only know what I read in the Dutch papers, but if you are traveling to Amsterdam that day, there will be severe disruptions. If you are arriving at Schiphol, you can take a taxi, but queues will be huge.
The airport is taking legal action to keep busses and trains to/from Schiphol riding, but not sure if that will work.
If you were planning to take the train from elsewhere, you will have a problem. If you are already in Amsterdam, you can walk.
Depending on where you are coming from, have a look at Flixbus.

greg May 25th, 2019 07:36 PM

I changed my itinerary to arrive in Amsterdam on May 27th and leave on May 29th. Howver this now requires a late night and an early morning taxi to and from Schiphol. Between 11pm and 6am, how much is the taxi fare? One site I looked at Amsterdam Airport Taxi says 39EU fixed. I am not sure this is credible, and if it is still true as a late night fare.

menachem May 25th, 2019 10:47 PM


Originally Posted by greg (Post 16925465)
I changed my itinerary to arrive in Amsterdam on May 27th and leave on May 29th. Howver this now requires a late night and an early morning taxi to and from Schiphol. Between 11pm and 6am, how much is the taxi fare? One site I looked at Amsterdam Airport Taxi says 39EU fixed. I am not sure this is credible, and if it is still true as a late night fare.

That's not a reliable site.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/messages/...workers-strike

greg May 25th, 2019 11:06 PM

What is the late night-early morning taxi fare to and from Schiphol and downtown Amsterdam?

menachem May 25th, 2019 11:29 PM


Originally Posted by greg (Post 16925493)
What is the late night-early morning taxi fare to and from Schiphol and downtown Amsterdam?

you can calculate it yourself (site is TCA's, Amsterdam's largest taxi co)

https://www.tcataxi.nl/

hetismij2 May 26th, 2019 12:00 PM

The judge ruled today that Schiphol must be accessible by public transport. There will be 4 trains an hour to CS on the day of the strike.

greg May 26th, 2019 01:40 PM

I read the details of the Schiphol train. https://nltimes.nl/2019/05/26/trains...transit-strike. It is limited to 5am to 9pm. Stops running too early for me. The taxi link provided is in Dutch only. So you say it can be translated by google. Yes, but on a mobile device, each page as you go down the link needs to be translated separately at least that is how it works by using translate.google.com.

menachem May 26th, 2019 11:06 PM


Originally Posted by hetismij2 (Post 16925726)
The judge ruled today that Schiphol must be accessible by public transport. There will be 4 trains an hour to CS on the day of the strike.

I think that on the day itself, this will turn out to be an illusion. And in any case, those trains will be packed.

menachem May 26th, 2019 11:07 PM


Originally Posted by greg (Post 16925761)
I read the details of the Schiphol train. https://nltimes.nl/2019/05/26/trains...transit-strike. It is limited to 5am to 9pm. Stops running too early for me. The taxi link provided is in Dutch only. So you say it can be translated by google. Yes, but on a mobile device, each page as you go down the link needs to be translated separately at least that is how it works by using translate.google.com.

so access it on a computer. i posted it for its taxi rate calculator.

greg May 30th, 2019 01:01 PM

So I lived through the May 28th strike.
The city was least crowded I have ever experienced. Museums were not crowded and neither were the restaurants. I walked about 5 miles.
Besides the trains, the bus #397 Schiphol express bus was also running. During the 20 minutes I was walking their route, I saw one #397 heading to the airport and one heading into the city, so the frequency was probably one every 20 min or less.
Taxis were surprisingly abundant during the day. A lot of them queued up at taxi ranks.
Taxi to and from Schiphol to Herengracht/Gasthuismolensteeg area was about 48EU for 22:30 and 5:30 rides.
According to the KLM.com, the Schiphol security staff also announced on May28th, a plan to slow down the airport security on May 29th by shutting down security line for 33 minutes at a time. Unlike the general strike, news agencies did not mention the May 29th Schiphol strike. I did not encounter security station shutdown, but it felt like the screening process was unusually slow as the luggage went through the scanning machine at snail speed.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:50 PM.