I'm planning a long delayed first visit to Amsterdam for early May. Having a hard time deciding between a houseboat, which sounds like a cool experience as long as you get a good one, a hotel near the museum area, or a small apartment either in the Jordaan area, or a bit further out in Amsterdam Nord.
I'll be there for 6 full days with main objective being the #1 bucket list item of the Van Gogh museum. Plan on seeing some of the usual tourist highlights of the city, plus probably 3 day trips out to Haarlem, the windmills, and tulip fields.
Would it be most convenient to be nearer the Central Station considering the day trips? Would the Amsterdam Nord area be too far out for quick public trans over to the museums, etc.? I'm a light sleeper and wonder if the hotels in the museum area will be too noisy. Also have heard of problems with mosquitoes in apts without A/C when leaving the windows open if I hit a stretch of warm weather. I hate mosquitoes because they love me.....
For those of you who have visited, I would love your opinions.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Browsing Barcelona
- 2 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 3 land vs river cruise
- 4 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 5 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 6 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 7 Malaga Christmas lights
- 8 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 9 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 10 Croatia in mid/late October
- 11 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 12 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 13 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 14 Help with Venice Trip?
- 15 Dubrovnik
- 16 What happened to Sundriedtopepo
- 17 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 18 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 19 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 20 Norte Dame light show!
- 21 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 22 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 23 Help with 11 night Portugal Itinerary
- 24 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 25 10 Days in Austria