Reload this Page >

Amsterdam hotels: Waterfront, Ambassade, Seven Bridges, Washington

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 08:00 AM
s.fowler

I would really appreciate fodorite feedback on these hotels. We'll be in Amsterdam for one day [meeting friends flying in from Skopje and then taking the train to Paris]. These are the hotels that have come up from a search on google and fodors/frommers websites. The Waterfront Hotel is the only one not in anyone's list. Their website looks and sounds nice -- any experiences to report? We want to stay well under $200, which puts the Ambassade at the top of our range. The other reason these were selected was to get within walking distance of both the museums and the Anne Frank House. [We only have a day soooo....... convenience is important.] <BR> <BR>While I'm on a roll here what is the Indonesian restaurant of choice for fellow fodorites. [Again keeping in mind that we want to stay centrally located.]

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Deparker

Hi, Ms. Fowler! We stayed at the Ambassade three years ago and enjoyed it very much. The location was wonderful, the service friendly, and we enjoyed our room (had a view of the canal and lovely mansions). <BR> <BR>We ate at a great Indonesian restaurant that was recommended by the hotel (I can't remember the name but if you stay at the Ambassade, I'm sure they can direct you to the restaurant). Sounds like a wonderful trip!!

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 12:27 PM
s.fowler

Thanks Deparker for your comments Your experience just confirms what I had already heard. <BR> <BR>Folks... can you help with the otehr hotels? Waterfront, Seven Bridges and Washington? It would be muchly appreciated. <BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 05:11 PM
s.fowler

Please?

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 04:31 AM
s.fowler

Help an old fodorite out here.. please?

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:33 AM
Meg

I have no info on your hotels - sorry. We always stay at The Bridge Hotel that overlooks the Amstel and Priesengracht - right next to the Carre Theatre. <BR> <BR>We always eat at Flamboyant which is between our hotel and the theatre. Since this may be a little out of your way, try Kantjil en de Tijger on Spui, I think. It's in the guidebooks. The meal was totally different from the rice table at Flamboyant but absolutely delicious. Some of the dishes we were served were yellow rice, vegetable in pumpkin sauce, potato chips in honey, spicy mackerel, fruit salad with peanut sauce, cold salad, prawns (fried and in some kind of sauce), spicy beans, chicken kebobs, eggs in spicy sauce, and a beef dish. Kantjil is located closer to the area in which you'll be than Flamboyant. Have a great trip!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:43 AM
AC

Hi Ms Fowler: <BR>I don't know anything about the hotels you names but I like the Doelen (part of the Golden Tulip chain) Central location close to Shopping, food and the tram. It is two or three stops from the train station. Have a great trip!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 06:07 AM
s.fowler

Thanks folks! I guess I'm on my own on this one I've noted the restaurant names. Thanks Meg and AC! <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Deena

Hey, where are all our Amsterdam experts?? Ms. Fowler needs help here!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 04:52 PM
danna

We stayed at the Hotel Washington in October. It was wonderful. Lovely room (we got a suite I think by happenstance) for well under 200 US and loved it. It's within walking of the museums, you'll need to get a tram or canal cruise to Ann Frank. It's right on the tram line, and in a lovely neighborhood. good room, great staff and location!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 11:47 PM
April

I don't know about the hotels you list either but you could see if the Pulitzer has any specials on. The Anne Frank House is just down the street.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 01:27 PM
s.fowler

Thanks to you all for your help <BR>I've arrowed my list down to Hotel Agora, Hotel Washington and the Waterfront Hotel in that order. I'd like to stay at the Ambassade or the Pulitzer, but the price is a little rich for right now.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Neal Sanders

Ms. Fowler, I give a big thumbs up to the Ambassade, which with the passage of two years is still as memorable as when we stayed there. A classic hotel in a wonderful, central, canal-side location. <BR> <BR>As to an Indonesian restaurant, I posted this review on my return: "Kantjil en de Tijger (291 Spuistraat) is an excellent choice. We bypassed the lengthy menu and went straight for one of the three Rice Tables, each one eliminates your choice of fish, pork, beef, or chicken, which filled our table with 14 dishes of food. Service was smooth and friendly, and dishes were thoroughly explained. Our monumental dinner for two, with beer, came to $55, a stunning value." <BR> <BR>The Euro/dollar relationship has probably made it an even better value. I still look back on that restaurant as a great introduction to Indonesian food. <BR> <BR>Enjoy the trip, even for just a day in Amsterdam! <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:18 PM
s.fowler

Any more comments?

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Patrick

I have only stayed at the Ambassade (twice) and highly recommend it. It seems a bit expensive and their breakfast is pretty pricey as well, but it is such a friendly, pleasant, and beautifully decorated hotel that I would have a hard time passing it up next time I return to Amsterdam. No two rooms are alike there and it is a rabbit warren of halls and levels to get to your room as it is made up of quite a number of individual townhouses all connected, but both our rooms have been beautiful as well as extremely comfortable and spacious, with a lot of character.