Amsterdam Hotels - best location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm headed to Amsterdam in early June 2011 for 3 nights and I'm considering these hotels, all 4*:

Eden Amsterdam American Hotel (formerly Crowne Plaza American)
Estherea
Convent Hotel Amsterdam (formerly Sofitel)
Dikker & Thijs Fenice

Does anyone have any input on the pros and cons of the locations? I've been to Amsterdam once 15+ years ago, but it was a Contiki tour and and I don't really remember much, other than the fact that A'dam was pretty and I wanted to come back and spend more time there someday. So I'm getting my chance now.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Amsterdam (119e for a twin, 163 for a twin deluxe), and I think I want the twin deluxe room b/c two women need room for all their stuff.

I'll be traveling with my 19yo niece and I think she would love the location of the American Hotel, being in the thick of the "action" and nightlife, and it also seems like a cool building that she would enjoy. And me too. But some of the recent TA reviews suggest that it's getting a little tired and coasting on reputation. And one complained of bedbugs (eek!). But that was only one person so I'm inclined to be skeptical.

(With all the name changing, it seems like the American Hotel has gone through several different owners in the past several years. Does that indicate a problem and should it concern me?)

The Estherea looks lovely but they want 200e for a twin rm with canal view, and part of the charm sounds like it's the canal location and view. And the "twin" looks like a double with two mattresses. I really want a true twin with two separate beds, not the double with one headboard and two mattresses, where you can't separate them. I also rejected other "boutique" hotels because they also didn't seem to offer twin rooms or were too pricey (Pulitzer, Ambassade, etc.). Twin rooms seem hard to come by in A'dam.

The Convent is 142e for a twin, including breakfast, so seems like a bargain. But the location seems less desirable. One comment on TA was that it was close to the RLD and required walking through the RLD to get back to the hotel at night. I'm not scared of the RLD (we'll probably see it at some point) but I'd rather not have my niece walk through it every night if it can be avoided.

The Dikker & Thijs Fenice seems like a good deal (125e for a basic twin, 186e for a canal view), but I'm not sure we will be able to pronounce it. Also a lot of the TA comments said it was very noisy with the trams passing all night long. I don't care much about that b/c I sleep like a log, but I don't know how the location compares to the rest. But it does show a photo of an actual twin room with two separate beds.

Comments from anyone who has stayed in any of these?
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Oops - I need an edit button -- I meant that I was leaning towards the AMERICAN hotel, duh. Aka the Eden Amsterdam American Hotel. The name of that hotel is just too long. ;p
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on my brief experience in Amsterdam last June, the "young, fun" areas aren't really all that far or distinct from the more elegant (not really the word I'm looking for) areas. I stayed near the Anne Frank House at...um, name escapes, very aggressively designed place but nice staff and good location. It was near the Estherea. That would be my first choice from your list. Then Dikker & Thijs Fenice. Then Eden American (walked by, was lively but a little tacky for me--however this was during World Cup so there was a lot of rowdy partying going on).

Last choice based on location: Convent Hotel.

I hope an Amsterdamer answers. But really, I walked all over day and night solo. So much is picturesque and lively in June when it stays light until quite late. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 05:32 PM

Can't comment on the other hotels, but we stayed at the Estherea at the end of May and loved it. I guess the beds were connected with one headboard, though--you might write and ask if they have any other arrangement. Their breakfast was easily the best I've had in any hotel anywhere (but it doesn't come cheap). Very friendly staff, and we thought the location was very good.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

The Estherea looks so nice but the website doesn't offer any real info about the rooms and no photos. It just says the hotel "offers a wide variety of guest rooms." Thanks, that's so helpful. ;p

Many people want specific info on bed configurations, and photos of actual rooms. Do parent/child duos not visit Amsterdam? Or business colleagues who bunk together? Why is it so hard to find a twin room I wonder? I know most people want doubles, but can't they have a couple of rooms that are actual twins?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else have any experience with these hotels?