Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam hotels & what to see pre-crusie

Oct 3rd, 2014, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

hello... 6 adults, driving from Paris to Amsterdam next fall, and spending 2 nights in Amsterdam before boarding a cruise. Would appreciate hotel suggestions near the city/tourist core, as well as suggested things to do/see in essentially 1 1/2 days..... also, how far away is the cruise port from the city centre ? thanks in advance !
Oct 3rd, 2014, 11:44 AM

the Cruise Ship Terminal is right in the heart of Amsterdam - not far from Centraal Train Station - there is a walkway there and there is a tram that stops right out front of the terminal if not into taxis.

Top Sights for Most:

Anne Frank House (book a time slot early to avoid a long wait in line)
Rijskmuseum; Van Gogh Museum and certainly a canal boat cruise (they leave all the time for about an hour putz thru Amsterdam's labyrinthic-like canals.

Some consider the Red-Light District a must sight - others want to avoid it - rather sleazy but safe IME.

But just wandering around the lovely city centre is the best thing to do - the ring of canals - so so lovely.
Oct 3rd, 2014, 11:58 AM

For hotels - how many rooms are you looking for (can;t get 6 adults in one room - the regular room is for 2 people with one double bed). Also what is your nightly budget - specific amount in euros please - not "moderate" or whatever.
Oct 3rd, 2014, 11:59 AM

I assume this is a rental car which is being dropped in Amsterdam. You won't need it there.

It is important to know what kind of cruise, i.e., river vs ocean-going. The ports for these are in two different places.
Oct 3rd, 2014, 12:00 PM

If it is a RIVER cruise, Pal has given the correct info and there is, as just one example, an excellent Crowne Plaza hotel within walking distance.
Oct 3rd, 2014, 12:09 PM

Amsterdam Passenger Terminal is the one I'm talking about and I've seen a lot of huge ocean-going ships there too but yes check if you have an ocean cruise is may park well away from the town center - what kind of cruise are you taking?
Oct 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM

Yes, Pal, I understand. They could take Tram 26; the river cruise boats usually dock closer to the station.
Oct 3rd, 2014, 12:51 PM

I can't improve on Pal's suggestions for your time. Would only add that it is also a good idea to buy all museum tickets ahead of time. Van Gogh has set times while the Rijksmuseum is a day entry pass. They can both be quite crowded, but my visits were in the middle of busy summer season and fall might be different. Someone with more local knowledge might be able to help on that.
Oct 3rd, 2014, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

big ship, not river cruise, and 3 rooms, not 6 to a room ! (I shudder !) and yes, rental car to be dropped of upon arrival from Paris..... cheers !
Oct 3rd, 2014, 02:35 PM

I would definitely include the Rijksmuseum since it is one fo the four best museums in Europe. You can buy tickets to it online ahead of time. I was there in July and while there were a lot of people it wasn't particularly "crowded" once inside.

be aware that the most famous works will always have a lot of people viewing them, including you.

Trams are a great way to get around and some of the hotels will sell you the tickets (at cost) so depending on where you stay you can simply walk out and get on one.

Your cruise line will be able to tell you where the ship docks and in all likelihood it will be the cruise ship terminal Pal has mentioned.

If you go to THIS link:http://www.ptamsterdam.nl/indexh_en.php
and then click on the "cruise calendar" on the right-hand sidebar you can scroll down to see if your ship is scheduled to dock there.
Oct 3rd, 2014, 05:59 PM

Hotels=Torens, Pulitzer, Ambassade
Oct 5th, 2014, 06:33 AM

Of course, I am only speaking from my experience, but at both the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh, each on more than one occasion, there were, as Dukey1 says, "a lot of people" and the famous works did "have a lot of peolple viewing them". So, when I said crowded, that's pretty much exactly what I was conveying using the standard definition of the word:
crowd
[kroud] Spell Syllables
noun
a large number of persons gathered closely together;
Sorry for the confusion my first post may have caused.
Oct 5th, 2014, 06:54 AM

Dweislaw, get over it.
Oct 17th, 2014, 10:59 PM

Please check the terminal. Many cruiseships dock at IJmuiden, which they then also call Amsterdam port, but it's way out to the west, on the coast and it's not very accessible by public transport, unless they organize a transfer for you.