Amsterdam Hotels, Airline/port, etc. Help, Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I read, the more confused I get!
DH & I will arrive in Amsterdam at the cruiseport on 4/27/07.

We need a hotel for the nites of 4/27 & 28. We plan to sitesee in Amsterdam on those days (first time in Amsterdam). We will leave Amsterdam on 4/29 for surrounding areas siteseeing - with a group.

We will leave Amsterdam on 5/5/07 via EasyJet to London.

So here is the help I need, please:
1. What are our options & your recommendations for getting from the cruiseport to our hotel?

2. What are our options & your recommendations for getting from our hotel to the airport?

3. What area of the city is best for transportation from the cruise port, to the airport, for first-timer siteseeing of the usual sites, & has hotels that are safe, clean, & under $200 (prefer closer to $150)? Is that all possible? Naturally I want your hotel recommendations & info on each. See I do need advice!

Thanks in advance, Julie
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM

One place to check hotels is www.channels.nl which includes location maps and usaer reviews.

Depending on where you stay in Amsterdam your options to the airport would include the shuttel bus which runs peridoically; taking a train from Amsterdam Centraal to the airport (the airport station is on the lower level of the terminal; travel time usually <20 minutes; a taxi.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM

I don't know what you have been reading but it appears, Julie, that you haven't opened a single guide book or map. Some sympathetic people on this forum always come forward to help lost souls like you. Check back later.

OTOH, all I have to say is that you are leaving Amsterdam 3 days early. The greatest city-wide street party on Mother Earth takes place on Queen's Day, April 30.

One other thing. It might help a little if you would let us know where the cruiseport is. Most Fodorites are do-it-yourselfers and wouldn't know a cruiseport from a whatever. Amsterdam has taxis, trams, and an excellent train system with a station at the airport. Virtually all hotels in Amsterdam are safe and clean. The Dutch are fastidious about scrubbing and washing, unlike the Brits and French. Hotels in all price ranges are all over the city. The city is small, compared to Paris and London, so it hardly matters where you sleep. Everybody speaks English.

Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM

As a person who has been on a few cruises, I must warn you about EasyJet and their baggage rules.
Go to their website and learn them, they do not waiver on them and are ultra-strict.
The allowed carry-on is very small and the checked bag weight is not a lot.

You may want to consider actually shipping a bag home, might save some money
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:45 PM

Here is the website for the cruiseport:
http://www.amsterdamcruise.com/

The cruiseport is just east of the main train station Centraal. The website has a map:
http://www.amsterdamcruise.com/_uplo...ttegrcopy2.pdf

You could walk between the cruiseport and Centraal - and Centraal has trains that take about 15 minutes to reach the Schiphol airport (does EasyJet fly from Schiphol?).

For maps, ticket info, etc for local trams, go here:
http://www.gvb.nl/english/default.asp
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:48 PM

Public transportation from the center city to Schipol airport is easy, fast, efficient and cheap.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 12:31 AM

http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/
tells you all about Amsterdam.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Such great links; thanks to you all; I'll check out everyone of them. Glad to know the transport from cruiseport & to airport will be easy.

I read all over the net for all of yesterday (tired butt!) for a hotel & considered all of the ones with good reviews, crossed off the ones we could not afford, & ones not available, & ones that I could not find a website for & I ended up with the Renaissance for 178E. Appears to be in a good location & gets good reviews. More $ than what we wanted, but.....

I liked the reviews on the Vondel Park Plaza ($200 on Expedia), but couldn't find their website & figured why stay "outside" for almost the same price.

In case anyone is interested -Tulip Inn was 225E; Golden Tulip 269E; Swissotel 290E; Holiday Inn 195E; Crown Plaza 238E; Best Western Delphi not available.

So...got air to Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. L. hotel, cruise Ft. L. to Amsterdam, you folks advised me on Amsterdam transportation; got Amsterdam hotel, & The Netherlands group tour. Now I need to finalize London hotel & then I can purchase all of the non-refundable air flights (didn't want to until know all the pieces will fall together). Then I'll work on Amsterdam & London siteseeing.

Sometimes, I wonder why do so much work for a trip, but once it all falls together, it's a sense of accomplishment!

Happy Holidays to everyone & thanks again, Julie
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Julie:

Once again I tout our favorite for Amsterdam...The Seven Bridges...on the Regulier Canal..charming, B and B...easy walking to all pounts of interest. We have recommended this to several friends and relatives...all liked it and two have even returned.

http://www.sevenbridgeshotel.nl/

Stu T.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Julie

We stayed in Hotel Hestia last year on the advice from some kind people on this forum, we were more than pleased with it, its small, quiet , clean, and the breakfast is lovley. The owners are very nice polite friendly people, and the location is great. Have a look at their website

www.hotel-hestia.nl

Regards, and good luck

Lucie
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks lucielou & tower. I checked out your hotels, but didn't work. The seven bridges has steep stairs, no elevator & the hestia requires min. 3 nites at that time. We can't alter our dates. But I really appreciate you taking the time to post some info for me.

Julie
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Try:

http://www.easytobook.com/

My observation is that at this time you will have to raise your budget. It is late to be making these reservations. I spent almost the whole month of November finding something for my party within your parameters for 4/21 and for 4/28. I ended up raising my budget on 4/21 to get something on one of the canals and for 4/28, we will be staying in Harleem. You are arriving during peak season when things fill up fast. GL.

You might also pose this question at Amsterdam Forum at TripAdvisor. That's where I finally got concrete help to narrow my search. http://tinyurl.com/y8ete2
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Suggest you google The Owl Hotel. Great location, has an elevator, your price range.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Julie, What cruise line are you coming in on? We are arriving the same day on RCL Jewel of the Sea. I just booked the cruise so I am looking for the same things you are. Good luck!