Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amsterdam Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amsterdam-hotels-399481/)

kenk Feb 15th, 2004 12:08 PM

Amsterdam Hotels

Hello, Does anyone have experience with any of the following lodging possibilities in Amsterdam: Hotel Brouwer, Keizershof, Acacia, or Prinsenhof? Thanks, Ken

Keenan Feb 25th, 2004 11:33 AM

I suppose that I may not be of much help with these hotels, but I did just stay at the Bridge Hotel which is a very nice two star hotel located on the Amstel river close to everything. My choice was between the Hotel Brouwer and Bridge and just made a decision. I think both are good choices. Enjoy,Kevin

ana222 Feb 25th, 2004 11:53 AM

We stayed 3 nights at Acacia (I think it's * or **) in November of 2002. Paid $85 for a double with brakfast. Then we stayed for 2 nights at Grand Hotel Krasnopolski ***** (Kras) which cost us $125 (We stayed at a $450 standard room.) Got a great deal on Expedia!
It was truly worth the extra money!
Acacia is okay, but if you can find a good deal on a better hotel do that!
Acacia is small. The steps are VERY steep! If you have luggage- you'll kill yourself dragging it upstairs and once you get it up there- you'll find out there is no room for it. Rooms are TINY, bathrooms too. We were on the top floor and it smelt like sewer in the bathroom. The "canal view" is not very charming either. There is a modern apartment building on the other side. So you either have to watch people in thier apartments or keep your curtains closed. Can't really see the canal from the upper floors. Breakfast was good. Breakfast room was nice. Service was good, smooth- no problems. The location is good- a few blocks from the train staition ( your best bet is to take the train from the airport- fast, smooth, cheap and reliable), but you have to walk. You can take a tram to most central hotels- like Krasnopolski (which is right on the beautiful Dam square and in the very center).
For the extra $40 we felt like Royalty at Kras. Rooms were large and stylish, bathrooms big, clean with towel warmers. BTW, supposedly Rolling Stones and some European Prince were among the guests at Kras.

igpjazz Mar 1st, 2004 11:40 AM

I agree with ana222. We were in Amsterdam in June,2003 and stayed at the Acacia. The rooms are tiny ( we stayed at the top floor,too) and the stairs were very steep. The bathroom did not smell good and the reception was not very friendly and helpful.

LuisO Mar 1st, 2004 10:43 PM

Hello!

I don't have experience with any of those hotels although I did have a good time at Hotel Rembrandt which is right next to the Artis Zoo (www.hotelrembrandt.nl)

I stayed in the sunflower room and it was very nice and clean. It was a little small but I didn't mind.

I'm going to be staying at Hotel Asterisk in April (www.hotelasterisk.nl) which seems nice but a little more expensive.

Also, with Hotel Rembrandt, the breakfast is included and they have a great buffet :D

Melissa1 Mar 11th, 2004 12:36 AM

Hi,
Check out www.tripadvisor.com and you'll be able to see what others have said of these hotels. It's very informative, and has tons of opinions.
Ciao,
Melissa

oweno Mar 11th, 2004 02:30 AM

Hi. We had a good experience at Acacia in October 2003 but we stayed in one of the 2 houseboats, so no stairs. The Joordan neighborhood was great for cafes, resturants & shops and a short walk or tram to the sights.
Enjoy