Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Hotel - Pulitzer or Krasnapolsky ?

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 12:17 PM
chris

Trying to decide between the Sheraton Pulitzer or Golden Tulip Krasnapolsky in Amsterdam. I have seen positive things on this site about the Pulitzer, but nothing written about the Krasnapolsky.

Want hotel in a safe, clean area, with walking proximity, if possible, to Red Light District and Leidseplein.

Anyone know if either is a better choice?

Thanks..

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 12:54 PM
sara

There is a hotel located in the heart of the Leidseplein area called the American Hotel (its part of the Inter-continental hotel chain). Or you could stay at the Park hotel, which is just across the way.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 01:23 PM
rita

I haven't seen the rooms at the Kras.... but what I saw of the hotel was fabulous! I had "tea" there and it was marvelous. It is very convenient to Centraal Station and Dam Square. My hotel was just around the corner and I loved the area. The bus system is really great in Amsterdam so it is really easy to get almost anywhere. I took no taxis my entire trip which is unusual. Take the bus that CIRCLES the city just to get your bearings. It's fun!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Logan

My computer just said my message didn't go through, but I think it did. Excuse me if this comes through twice.

My answer, Chris, is: Neither one. Try the wonderful AMBASSADE, in a row of old mansions on one of the prettiest canal stretches, in east walking distance of everything. Its literary connections make it the Algonquin Hotel of Amsterdam.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:07 AM
frank

The Ambassade, nearer the Leidseplein or the Doelen (in Nieuwdoelenstraat-part of the tulip group, near the Europe), nearer the redlight are both in quiet, safe areas. The area round the Kras is a bit hectic, never stayed there, not sure I'd want to though the restaurant looks lovely.
The Pulitzer is fine, though farther to walk.
The Ambassade is full of fine antiques, but it's a built like a rabbit warren, as is the Pulitzer - both being made from a row of canal houses joined together.
Rooms tend to be small in central A'dam.
I like the Doelen - the area is quiet but near most things (use the trams!) and it's comparatively roomy, also cheaper than most & of a good standard - I love the view from the breakfast room.
You might want to consider the SAS Radisson, never stayed there but its nicely located.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Dana

I stayed at the Krasnapolsky 2 months ago. Huge, elegant rooms, marble bathroom, very quiet. Great location.

I would definitely recommend it.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 10:07 AM
chris

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Andrea

Does any one has an e-mail or web address for Ambassadde Hotel

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:17 PM
wendy

Hi--I am staying at the pulitzer in two weeks. I was in Amsterdam 2 yrs ago and stayed at the canal house and another hotel near the musuems. I viewed other hotels for my future stay and selected the pulitzer because it was a luxury hotel that offered a stay in a canal house atmosphere. I also think the location is fine--I am from NYC--amsterdam is charming and totally accessible from any location!! in any case have a fab time!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Marcie

We stayed at the Pulitzer for 3 nights last year and were pleased in all regards. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Chris

Andrea - the URL for the Ambassade is http://www.ambassade-hotel.nl/

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 05:32 PM
LadyJane

I stayed at the Krasnopolsky once, as a desperation move as it is not my type of hotel. I like the Ambassade, the PUlitzer also looks good to me, the Tulip Inns are nice.

The Krasnopolsky is "luxurious" in the sense of your being someplace that screams "expensive" and could be absolutely anyplace in the world--big rooms, big clean bathrooms, gigantic marble-covered lobbies, etc. Nothing at all Dutch about it--I find this kind of thing disturbing. (I live in New York, I value uniqueness etc.)

I second the votes for a canal house hotel--Ambassade, Pulitzer, the Canal House. Amseterdam is not big, you can walk almost anyplace form anyplace else.