Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam hotel near the boat cruise terminal

Nov 10th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

We depart Amsterdam on a cruise in May, 2011. We are going to be in the city 3 nights prior to departing. Question: Is there a good hotel.....3 stars, 4 stars...that is close to where the boats depart and convenient to seeing the city? Any suggestions would be appreciated, even for hotels not close to the port.
Nov 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM

The cruise departures are close enough to the city center (by taxi) that I would stay in the center. Hotels in A'dam cover a wide range. My favorite is the Krasnoploski. Real central location, but not inexpensive.
Nov 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM

I wouldn't feel the need to stay close to the cruise area. On our recent trip, we stayed near the museums. It was a pretty area, but a bit of a walk to everything else other than the museums. We were limited in our hotel choices by (i) last-minute trip idea; (ii) Amsterdam marathon was that weekend and (iii) we needed a room for 3 people. If I had my choice, I would stay in the Jordaan area.
Nov 10th, 2010, 04:44 PM

We stayed at the Movenpick and loved it. Great hotel.
Nov 10th, 2010, 07:02 PM

I stayed at Hotel Toren for just two nights on a long layover back home from East Africa--incredibly convenient and charming area, very (very) designed hotel. Great staff, comfortable and pretty, reasonably priced. But maybe not for everyone? In any case, other hotels nearby were the Estherea, Ambassadeur and the Nadia. Nadia I think is less expensive.

http://www.thetoren.nl/
Nov 11th, 2010, 02:12 AM

The Movenpick is the closest to the cruise terminal, and is still convenient for getting into the centre.
Nov 11th, 2010, 06:56 AM

I stayed at the Movenpick and thought it was a very nice hotel. Request a higher floor for awesome views.
Nov 26th, 2010, 04:54 AM
TC

Its so easy to get around Amsterdam. I agree there is no need to stay near the cruise terminal. We just stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Central Station. It is a great hotel with newly renovated rooms. We got a wonderful senior discount rate. You can walk to the Central Station for access to the airport, trains, or any of the canal boats or water taxis. The tram line runs right in front of the hotel door. Excellent restaurants and shopping within blocks.

FYI: A wonderful restaurant with a spectacular 37 Euro prix fix dinner menu is Lucius. We ate there twice.

http://www.lucius.nl/
Nov 26th, 2010, 08:16 AM

Another vote for the Movenpick. Convenient to the cruise terminal and train, and convenient enough to the city. A very nice, modern hotel to boot.

I've also stayed at the NH Barbizon Palace, across from the main station and it was quite nice, as well. Loved The Pulitzer, but it is a schlep to the station and to the cruise terminal.