Reload this Page >

Grasse perfume factory tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:32 PM
John H

Hi,<BR><BR>Justwanted to see if any of you had done a perfume factory tour in Grasse (or I understand they also have them in Eze). Which one did you go to (Fragonard, Gallimard, Molinard) and did you enjoy it/think it worth your while? Were prices of items for sale any cheaper than here in the US?<BR><BR>Any comments appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>John H.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Stephanie

We took a tour at Molinard. Grasse is not one of the prettiest in the area, and is swamped by tourists and buses. My comment, I guess, is that I expected more and got less. Pretty commercial.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Rex

Fairly similar impression of Fragonard. Bargains? Well, it didn't seem so to me, and they only have their own label.<BR><BR>I think it might have been a LITTLE more interesting if, for example, it had been with all with a group of organic (or specifically fragrance) chemists - - to get into the "history of extraction science" of it all. But then, that would not have been so interesting to the general public.<BR><BR>There is a small "Vieille Grasse" inner town. In early October, it seemed like it was kind of winding down, as if on a seasonal basis. A few bargains from African or middle East merchants who were shutting down for the season. We bought some paper and wood "flowers" - - terribly delicate to get home unbroken (though all but one got home fine).<BR><BR>I agree that it was a little ho-hum. Nearby Montauroux and Tourettes were more memorable/enjoyable - - though they are quite small places.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:31 AM
dena

Hi John,<BR><BR>We did the Fragonard tour in Grasse this summer and my daughter (age 12 years) and I enjoyed it. My husband and son were bored and overcome by the perfume smells. But as I said, I thought it was interesting and thought it worthwhile. Yes, the area is touristy, but I find little fault with any of France. As another poster said, they sell only their own products, and I do not know if they are cheaper in the states. Have fun in France!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Keith

Am I the only person who's been to Grasse and liked it?! OK, so Fragonard only sell their own perfumes - but thinking they'll sell others is a bit like expecting a Levi factory outlet to sell Gap jeans.<BR><BR>Grasse itself is worth a wander around, especially if it's a fine day - from the square near the Fragonard factory there is a fine view to the south, for example. The factory tour I found quite interesting - but then I'm not a scientist and wasn't really too bothered about the chemical composition of the perfume!<BR><BR>However, don't expect to spend more than half a day here. It's not that big, and I suspect that once you've seen one perfume factory you've seen them all. Incidentally, you don't need to do the tour to go into Fragonard's shop - it can be entered directly from the street.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Susan

Hullo - does anyone know if you can take a bus/train from Cannes to Eze? I'm going next week and would like to go to Fraganard just to buy perfume.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:26 AM
John G

Dear John H, I visited the Fragonard factory in Eze, not Grasse. I didn't find the factory tour interesting, but I did buy some Fragonard sandalwood cologne which smells exactly like Chanel Pour Monsieur, at half the price. I took a day tour from Nice to visit Fragonard, St. Paul de Vence, and some other little towns. I could swear you have to be a part of tour to visit the Fragonard factory, but I could be wrong. (I specifically remember them asking me in the showroom what tour group I was with in order to purchase items.)<BR><BR>One note: The cashier overcharged me by $50 US. I was out the door before I realized the mistake, but they did refund me the difference when I pointed out the mistake to the cashier.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Joe

I spent the longest week of my life during my day trip to Grasse.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:05 AM
lynlor

I love some perfume, but the perfume at Molinard in Grasse smelled awful to me. To my amazement, I found out that it is actually sold some places im the U.S..<BR><BR>We weren't on any designated tour, but were assigned to a group of people. <BR><BR>Not my favorite experience in France and this from someone who adores some perfume.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:01 AM
John

Fragonard was worth every one of the twenty minutes we gave it. The drive through the Gorge du Loup we took afterward was a lot more fun, in a rapid heartbeat sort of way.<BR><BR>The cologne Herself bought there was cheap compared to the smell-alikes, but went off much sooner than the higher-priced spread.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 12:25 PM
John H

Hi,<BR><BR>Many thanks for all of the replies.<BR><BR>Dena or John: did you call of fax ahead of time to get on an English-language tour at Fragonard, or did you just show up?<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>John H.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Christina

I think I did the Fragonard tour but it wasn't really a factory, it was a facility right in Grasse near a square (must be the one someone else mentioned) you get to by going upwards a bit, and it is near the Perfume Museum. that's really a showroom, although the tour does explain perfume making. I found it interesting enough, it didn't take that long or cost much, so why not. I think I found the Perfume Museum more interesting. I didn't buy anything there because I don't usually wear Fragonard perfume and I don't think there were any great bargains there that I recall. I wouldn't go expecting to save a lot of money, only if you're interested.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Martine

We visited Molinard. The factory was interesting. The guided visit took about 45 min and ended in the shop. You have to kwow that the factories Molinard, Galimard and Fragonard are not famous for their parfumes. They are the world leading suppliers of the components at the famous parfumiers. In the shop they also present parfumes, soap and other gifts or souvenirs, but it is from a lower quality. <BR>The old city of Grasse is very little and not more special as other old towns.<BR><BR>But if you want to visit Grasse and one of the three factories, I advice you to read first the book "the perfume" from<BR>Patrick S&uuml;skind. It is a wondreful story about perfume in the city of Grasse in the 18th century. You will like it and you will visit the factory from a different point of view.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 03:45 PM
dena

Hi John,<BR><BR>We just showed up at Fragonard and had to wait about 15 minutes for an English tour. This was in the summer, so perhaps the tours are more frequent at this busy time. It might be better to phone ahead as you suggested, depending on when you are going, to find out when english tours are available. At Molinard, (we went there also, as my 12 year old daughter loves perfume)there was only a French tour when we arrived and since we had already seen the Fragonard in English, we just went along on the French tour and looked at the factory. You can make an appointment in advance at Molinard and have someone create a perfume especially for you. A bit costly, if I remember correctly, (we didn't do it) but it would have been a nice memento. Have a great trip!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Linda

I agree with the person who said it was worth every one of the 20 minutes it took... and yes, then go on to the drives at the Gorges du Loup. Spectacular scenery, rocky outcrops and deep chasms. There are a few places you can pull over for a better looksee. We crossed over part way and doubled back to Gourdon a mountain village similar to Eze. Wonderful!!!