Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Hotel for family of four in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:20 AM
MaureenB

We are looking for a hotel room or suite that will fit our family of four in early June, for 5 nights. Moderately expensive is ok. Location is key. Husband's conference is at Vrije Universiteit. We want to stay walking distance to sites and canals, but have heard being "central" is too crowded. Suggestions for an historic-type hotel (don't want modern)? What area would be best to stay in?

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Will top this post... I really enjoyed the neighborhood around Vondelpark (and the park itself). No idea if that's near the university you mentioned though.

I am one who found central area dreary and crowded. Fine to visit once but I'm glad my hotel was out in the Leidseplein.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found these with Quad rooms on www.amsterdamby.com - they are located very centrally.
You might want to explore the site a bit more, looking for hotel in Museumplein area, which appears to be located between core Amsterdam and the University.
The tram system is excellent -there are also buses, which I have not used.

<b>Hotel des Arts</b>
Quadruple Room Family
Meal Treatment Bed &amp; Breakfast
No. Guests 4
176-196 EUR
http://www.amsterdamby.com/desarts/pages/profile.htm
REVIEW:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...d_Holland.html

<b>Hotel Belga</b>
Quadruple Room En-Suite Bathroom
Meal Treatment Bed &amp; Breakfast
No. Guests 4
188,00 EUR
http://www.amsterdamby.com/belga/pages/profile.htm
REVIEW:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...d_Holland.html
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:37 AM
MaureenB

Thank you for your help! Any other suggestions to put us in a good neighborhood, within walking distance to sites, and an easy commute to the University?

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I don't know your definition of &quot;moderaterly expensive&quot; but the Hotel Ambassade is unique and memorable and well located.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 05:40 PM

MaureenB - don't have any suggestions but would you please post a trip report upon return. My husband wants to go to Amsterdam with out 3 kids so I'd love any advice. Are you planning any day trips?
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 05:50 PM
MaureenB

BetsyG, I'll plan on posting a report. Right now we're so early in the planning process that we don't have a fix on day-trips. But we'll be there maybe 6 nights, so will be looking for at least one day-trip. Know of any?

With 3 kids, you might be interested in 't Hotel's response to my e-mail: &quot;All our rooms have twin beds. In room #8 there are two twin beds and three separate beds, same as the twin beds. The rate of the room for two persons is euro 165,00 per night, for each extra guest in the room we charge euro 30,00. Extensive buffet breakfast and taxes are included in these prices. Our neighborhood is very quiet. You can find a description on our website www.thotel.nl.&quot; I believe other posters have recommended 't Hotel, and there don't seem to be many that can accomodate a family of four or five.

I am also planning the rest of our itinerary: Paris probably 4 nights and London probably 3 or 4. It's fun to do the research and get ideas from fodors.com travelers. Thanks for your replies, everyone. More?

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the info, sounds like a great trip.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:09 AM
MaureenB

So far I've narrowed it to two choices: 't Hotel and Hotel Residence Le Coin. Both are three-star and have accomodations to suit all four of us. Anyone have experience with either of these? Thanks again!

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:40 AM

A few years ago our family of 4 stayed in a quad room at the Hotel Estherea (4*). The room was a good size, the location was great, the breakfast was excellent.