Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Centrally located hotel in Copenhagen for around $100?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about going to Copenhagen for a few days but hotels seem expensive. Since I will only go for a few days I would like to find a inexpensive but clean and modern hotel for around $100 a night. Any ideas? What is considered the most central section of Copenhagen?
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Intrepid

Have you tried a dscounter? Hopefully someone who is really knowledgeable about the city can address the "central" issue..that could very well depend on one's individual tastes. We stayed in the Marriott last summer and paid more than $200 per night..I agree that hotels there can be pricey, especially in the summer. Wish I could offer more. How about priceline?

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:35 PM

2 suggestions: The Cab-Inn Scandinavia or the Cab-Inn Copenhagen. Sister hotels a few blocks from each other, about a 10-15 minute walk from city center, with a bus stop on the nearest corner if you prefer. Very basic rooms, along the lines of a ship's cabin (hence the name), but with ensuite bath (Not easy to find in Copenhagen for $100). www.cabinn.dk. I have stayed there. Very clean and nice.
Another suggestion: The Absalon Annex. Closer to City Center than the Cab-Inns (It's near the train station). A one-star hotel that shares an entrance with the Hotel Absalon, a three-star hotel. I have not stayed there so can't comment on anything but the price. www.hotel-absalon.dk
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:14 AM

Hi Richardab,
Copenhagen is an expensive city,that said there are always bargains if you look. We stayed over New Year 2002 and got a great deal by dealing direct with the Hotel Ascot. it is just a block from The Radhusplasen, which is at the top of Stronget, so its an unbeatable location. We got an appartment on the top floor of the annexe. Very nice with blonde wood everywhere, a large modern bathroom, and a fully equiped kitchen. Views out over the rooftops of the old city. Breakfast in the main hotel included. We paid £500 for six nights. I know thats more $$ than you want to spend, but if you do partial self catering you will finish in pocket as meals out are not cheap in Copenhagen.

Alternately Expedia have a fabulous deal on the Palace Hotel, which is excellent and right on Radhusplasen.

Don't go for anything behind the Railway Station, its a desparately depressing area of sex shops and run down businesses.

Final thought, don't miss the all you can eat herring buffet at Nyhavns Faergekro on Nyhavn its a Copenhagen institution frequented as much by Copenhagers as tourists.

Have a great trip, Greybeard
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:17 AM

OOPS forgot to give you the Email for Hotel Ascot:- [email protected]
Greybeard
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 12:04 PM

Try using Priceline. See http://www.biddingfortravel.com and go to the Europe - Other Cities topic.

If you can get a room on Priceline, you'll get the best deal, but even without Priceline, the Mermaid has some special summer rates - http://www.mermaid-hotel.dk . I've posted elsewhere about the pros and cons of the Mermaid.

I'm sure Cab-Inn is fine, but those hotels are not as convenient as Mermaid.

I'd say Mermaid - right across from Radhusplassen (Town Hall Square) is about as central as you can get. Otherwise, the cheapest rates (which aren't that cheap) you can get in Copenhagen are in the area behind the train station, which is a bit too rough for me, and I'm glad we didn't stay there.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 12:56 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Danmark on our last visit and really enjoyed it. The rooms were small and the bathrooms were quirky, but the location was great (a block away from Tivoli and Stroget), the service was friendly and the breakfast was very good. The Mermaid is around the corner and seems similar. (It seems we paid around $100 a night). We would stay there again.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 10:26 PM

Another vote for the Danmark. Our room on the top floor was nice size and the bathroom was fine. If you get a room at the back of the hotel, you will have a view over the roof tops of old Copenhagen. Our room was $120 per night, the service was good. the staff very friendly and helpful, the breakfast good and the location perfect. You are two blocks from Tivoli and one block from the beginning of the pedestrian only Stroget. Have a great trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 05:55 PM

We've stayed at the Danmark too, and I would recommend it, but we paid $135 in 1999 and the rates they have posted now are $150
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 10:18 AM

We just spent 4 nights at The Square hotel directly accross from the Radhuspladsen. We paid 950DK for 4 nights (about $125). They had us upgraded to a "suite" with larger room & small balcony but it was right on the main street and really loud. The room we switched to was smaller but had the same decor and was much quieter!! So much for the upgrade. In general, Copenhagen is a stunningly expenesive city so you'll get no bargains from hotels. The Square was new, bathrooms great, halls are clean and the rooms were all above average. The hotel is modern, centrally located, serves a nice breakfast buffet, beer from the tap in the lobby and though the staff isn't effusive or bubbly, they were helpful & decent. Steph.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 03:58 PM

Danes are not know for being effusive or bubbly.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Still planning this, any ideas?
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:37 AM

richardab - when are you going? If you are going during the off-season the chances of finding rooms for $100 are better. The advice to try priceline is good. If you can get a room at The Palace or Mermaid, then the location of both would be ideal. Both are close to most of the sites as well as to the train station. In front of the Palace is one of the major starting points for the open top tour buses that is sometimes a cheap and easy starting point to see the city. Good luck.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

i was thinking about the end of september or early october
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Other than Priceline, as mentioned, have you considered a B&B? Actually, in Copenhagen, the breakfast is most often not included, but renting a room might be your cheapest option if you don't want to use Priceline.

http://www.citybed.dk
http://www.woco.dk (look for the Accommodation link)

For other cheap hotels that are in your price range, consider:

http://www.euroglobe.dk (I've heard this is fine for what it offers, but it is a mile away from the center)
http://www.loeven.dk (I've heard less-positive things about this, and it's in the nasty area behind the train station. However, you can get a private bath.)

One guesthouse in Christianshavn that I have heard positive things about:
http://www.chickens.dk
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Someone reported seeing Hotels.com offering the Danmark for $73/night, which is cheaper than I have ever seen if true.

Also try travelaxe and Expedia.