Amsterdam-Hotel Estherea or Toren ????

Feb 27th, 2000, 06:36 AM
Maggie

Amsterdam-Hotel Estherea or Toren ????

Planning a trip to Amsterdam and are considering staying at either the Estherea or Toren. Has anyone stayed at either? Would be interested in thoughts on location, rooms, staff etc. Also any other hotel recommendations. We definitely want a canal house type hotel or something similar. Also considering the Ambassade. Thanks in advance.

Feb 27th, 2000, 07:06 AM
ilisa

We stayed at Toren in 1995 and loved it. We would not hesitate to stay there again. Our room was large with a private bath and a beautiful view of the canal. The location was excellent. We walked everywhere. Once I get somewhere, I tend to have a lot of questions about the area; the staff was very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend it.

Feb 28th, 2000, 03:31 AM
frankregan

I used to stay at the Estheria regularly, it is very well located,safe, quiet, but near the centre, friendly staff, good breakfast.(buffet as all dutch hotels.)A bit cramped.
Nowadays I find I prefer the Doelen Hotel,more space, great view from the breakfast room, great view from the rooms high up looking over the Amstel,
much cheaper,well placed.
The Estheria seems very expensive for what you get.
Never been in the Toren.

Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:56 AM
Bill

We stayed at the Toren last Spring and thought it was excellent. Great staff! Very friendly and helpful. The only down-side was that there was a massive construction barge parked right in front of the main building (the hotel is in two completely separate canal houses) because there was a major rehab going on in a neighboring building. Ask if the barge is still there. If so, go for a room in the annex building. The only hassle is that you will have to walk to the main building for breakfast. The location is fantastic for walking around the city. The room was a little tight, but quite nice.

Mar 3rd, 2000, 10:47 AM
KK

January, 2000 : The Ambassade, where I had stayed for two days, moved me to the Estherea -- confusion on dates -- They are both fine places. My vote tho' is the Ambassade -- the rooms, 15th century
houses and the tea rooms have an olde
world grandeur about them.

Mar 7th, 2000, 10:12 PM
Mark

I'll be staying at the Estherea for a week later this month, so I'll let you know what it was like on my return.

Mar 23rd, 2000, 09:00 AM
Mark

Just got back last night from a week in Amsterdam. Enjoyed the Estherea very much. Had a nice top floor room overlooking the canal. Ideal location--within walking distance of everything, but quiet for sleeping. The winter rates were good, but frankly I don't mind paying more to get a room I'm happy with. Good breakfast buffet to start your day. Saw the Toren, which is only a few blocks from the Estherea. It's in a good location, too. Enjoy your trip.