Amsterdam for 3 days: what to do?

May 17th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Anna

Amsterdam for 3 days: what to do?

I am going to be in Amsterdam for three-and-a-half days in early July at the end of a six-week trip to Europe. The rest of the trip, I will be with my boyfriend. However, he has to head back to the states before we make it to Amsterdam. What can (and should) a 28-year-old American female alone in Amsterdam logically and safely do? I am excited but somewhat apprehensive. I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

P.S.--I've never traveled alone before.

May 17th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Kat

someone help this poor girl--i've never been there or i would...

May 17th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Meg

Anna - you will be fine in Amsterdam. I've wandered around the city a good bit on my own and have always felt completely comfortable. If you aren't comfortable at first, take an organized orientation tour to help you get your bearings and see some sights. You can get on the museum boat which cruises the canals and stops at various museums along the way. The tram and metros are easy to use to get around as well. There are great museums and good shopping to fill your time. Definitely take a canal boat tour. It's a compact city and not difficult to get around. I used to always get turned around at some point on my visits, but just use Centraal Station as your reference point. Whenver I got lost, I would get back to CS and start again. Definitely get a good map - it's key to a successful trip to Amsterdam. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

May 17th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Susan

Dear Anna,
I was in Amsterdam last year with my 13 year old son and it was safe and wonderful. Just avoid the red light district at night and you will be fine. Things to do: Ann Frank House, Canal cruise, visit the flower market A Must!Also the Madame Tassaud wax museum is great fun. The trollys are very efficient. Taxis are easy to get. Good soulviner shopping at the flower market. I stayed at the Owl Hotel by the museums and it was priced right ,extremely clean with large rooms and bath and breakfast included. Also, it is family run and they are very helpful with questions. The museums are a must. Van Gogh , the Reich Museum There is an outdoor flea market I believe every day, called the Alpert Kulp market. What fun it was! Great buys, great food and entertainment. ENJOY!

May 17th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Meagan

Hi Anna!

I'll be in Amsterdam July 4-8 and as a 26 yr old Canadian girl, backpacking alone for the first time as well, I know how you're feeling. I've booked a bed at the HI Stadsdoelen (sp?) hostel and plan on doing a bike tour (either Mike's Bike Tour or Let's Go AMsterdam). Maybe we could hook up! Send me an email .. .

May 18th, 2001, 04:28 AM
dana

Hi. I was in Amsterdam the end of March. My travel companion left the day before I did, so I had the last day by myself.

I will say this: there is a lot of shopping to be done. I spent a lot of time browsing and shopping, there are some great clothes that you can't get here, and the prices are great! Plus your boyfriend will be gone so you can do it as much as you like!

Another thing I did was go to the movies. There is a huge movie theater right across from the Bloemenmarkt, and I am sorry I can't remember the name of the street. The American movies are in English with Dutch subtitles. I really enjoyed that.

You will find plenty to do. Have a great time!

May 18th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Meg

Dana - that is a hoot that you went to the movies. My husband is a film junkie - and EVERYWHERE we go, we see a film - Amsterdam, Paris, Florida, etc. Everyone thinks it so weird that we see movies on vacation. It's almost like a souvenir we acquire in some city - finding a theater and seeing something. Do you know if the Tuchiniski is still open? It''s near where you mentioned (around the corner) , but last time we were there, it appeared closed - but the one around the corner that you went to had opened up.

May 18th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Sandy

I just returned Sun from 3 full days in Amsterdam, here's what we did.

Day 1: Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House, Westerkerk, hop-on, hop-off canal cruise

Day 2: Train to Delft, shopped around, back on train to Leiden, took bus to Keukenhof Gardens (won't be open in July but Leiden should be fun to play in, could also stop in Haarlem on way back)

Day 3: Waterlooplein flea market (don't go, only old clothes, dirty junk, and drug paraphenalia), Albert Culp market (great, all kinds of stuff--old/new clothes, produce, meats, household items, junk), Van Loon House and gardens, flower market on the Single (Susan is right, the flower market had the BEST and most inexpensive souvenirs), rode Tram 20 (it makes a circle around Amsterdam, going past most of the tourist sites, takes about 1 hr), had wine at a sidewalk cafe on Damrak and watched the people, visited the sex museum (pretty boring but we have nothing like it), strolled through the red-light district (early evening).

Whew! We did walk our feet off and had a ball. Don't worry about your personal safety too much, it's a very safe city. You'll need to worry more about getting run down by a bicyle (we kept forgetting and walking in the bike lanes).

We stayed at the Hotel Acro (about $78/double, www.acro-hotel.nl). It was 1 bl from tram line and 2 bls from Rijksmuseum. Room was small but clean and well appointed and VERY friendly staff. You can't beat the location either.

Go, have a great time, and give us a report when you return.

Sandy

May 18th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Dana

Hi Sandy! Great trip report! Did you go with your girlfriends? Is the construction still going on at Dam Square?

Meg- I too am a movie junkie. (I don't remember seeing the movie theater you mentioned- the one I went to was called De Munt I think)
That same trip I mentioned we were in Paris and we saw Reqieuem for a Dream on the Champs Elysee. We had missed it in the states and wanted to catch it.
The 30 minutes of commercials and trailers before the movie were just as entertaining. It is amazing what those Europeans will show-- full nudity and everything!

Back to the topic-- the Waterlooplein fleamarket is how Sandy explained it- although I did see some kinda cute jewelry, cheap too.

One more note-- if you have any interest in Jewish history, check out the Jewish History Museum. I really enjoyed myself. Even if you are not interested in that, there was an exhibit by a famous Dutch photographer with photos from the 1940's-1960's. I believe his first name was Sem? Good stuff.
Dana

May 21st, 2001, 04:25 AM
topper

May 21st, 2001, 07:42 AM
Diane

If you take the train to Delft, don't miss a tour of the Porceleyne Fles, one of the two factories in town that produce authentic "delftware." I was there a few years ago and it was fascinating to watch the artists hand paint the pieces. You can also purchase items and have them shipped home for you.

May 21st, 2001, 08:24 AM
Anna

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Sandy, I really appreciate the itinerary. I will look forward to giving a report upon my return. Thanks again! =)