Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Experts: Best neighborhood for apartment rental?

Feb 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

We are considering a July trip to the Netherlands and Belgium. I'm starting to think about apartment rentals (5 people) in Amsterdam. What are the desriable areas?

From a search on this board, I've gathered that Dam Square should be avoided and that the Leidseplein area is desirable. I've also read that a good area is "around the canals" but don't know how that area is described in terms of apartment rentals.

Any help would be appreciated!
Feb 19th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Hi, Missypie.

I love the Jordaan neighborhood. It's within walking distance to most of the sites, but it's also a real (somewhat upscale) neighborhood, with small cafes, bakeries, offices, art galleries, etc. And of course, canals and great architecture. It reminded me a bit of Greenwich Village, but quieter, calmer and relaxing. Next time I go to A'dam, I'm staying there again for sure.

Renting a houseboat may be fun for all of you, but I don't know how big they are inside...maybe just one bathroom? Just a thought. There were several near my B&B -- folks were sitting on the decks, drinks in hand, watching the canal boats and bicyclists go by. It looked like a blast.
Feb 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM

We rented a houseboat from VRBO on Keizersgracht Canal and loved it that beautiful boat!
Feb 19th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

But would you spend a week in a houseboat with three kids? Maybe they're larger than I'm imagining.
Feb 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Did not realize that 3 of the 5 people were kids. Gangplanks and steep stairs may be hard to navigate.

Anybody who is interested in a houseboat...I can vouch for VRBO #19247!
Feb 19th, 2007, 06:41 PM
DAX

I'm trying to understand why the Damrak/Dam square is to be avoided? Is there something I'm not aware of? I think the only area to avoid is the red light district, perhaps the train station area and the moslem area west of Jordaan (as it doesn't quite feel like Amsterdam). The best place to stay is canal front.
Feb 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM
nbujic

Dam is kind of dirty, touristy and charmless.
Jordaan is good or near Vondelpark

Feb 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM

For a family of five, I think you might like the same area my daughter and I stayed in - around the Best Western Eden between Rembrandtplein and Waterlooplein, and right on the Amstel River. This is also close all the shopping on Muntplein, and to the Dam. A grocery store is a couple blocks away, and the Waterlooplein flea market might be popular with some of your teenagers. This hotel offers apartments too. Possible drawbacks - read the reviews on TripAdvisor. We had an OK room (but it was noisy on club nights into the wee hours). Nevertheless we like the location so much we're going back anyway. In any event, you might like an apartment in this area, particularly if you got a slightly quieter section.

I wouldn't say the Dam is a terrible area, but I have two basic memories of it when I went there while waiting for my daughter to finish at Madame Tussaud: sitting next to a young man who opened his bag of shrooms (my guess anyway as to what it was) and partook, and the Hare Krishnas who were offering vegetarian food by donation. On the other hand, I visited an art exhibition in the New Church that is right on Dam Square.
Feb 19th, 2007, 07:03 PM

The poster MaureenB recommended the Residence Le Coin, which is in this same general area and has suites, and her family with teenagers enjoyed it.
Feb 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM
DAX

Good point about the Damrak; it's best to stay close to the canals preferably the Keizergracht or at least the Prinsengracht in the western part of town.
Feb 20th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Feb 20th, 2007, 07:26 AM

I'm partial to the residential and upscale area to the east of Vondel Park...a wonderful area of nice homes, parks, no sleaze like you can get in the very centre of town...and even easily accessible by car...trams take you into the city centre in a few minutes or it's really just a short stroll.
Feb 20th, 2007, 07:36 AM

We (including teenaged daughter) stayed in the western canal ring area, near the Jordaan--Herentraat between Herengracht/Keizersgracht--and liked that area very much. It is more residential, with plenty of restaurants and boutiques; not far from the Anne Frankhuis. It is also an easy walk to Amsterdam Centraal Station.

The proprietors of our B&B (Maes) have several apartments in the area:

http://www.bedandbreakfastamsterdam.com/aparts.htm
Feb 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM

I'm sort of piggypacking on this...I have the same general question, but with a slightly different angle. I am only in Amsterdam for about 12 hours, and all I want is to have one nice meal and go to bed. I hate the sleaziness of the historic center, but arriving at 7pm after an 8hr flight and departing around 9am for an 11 hr flight maybe I should stay near the station? Unless there an enclave anywhere within around 15 mins. walking distance from the station that has a couple of top-notch restaurants? I don't care about "nightlife" per se, just that I can walk down the street safely and eat a great meal. Thanks for anyone who indulges me!
Feb 20th, 2007, 11:28 PM
DAX

If you are looking for value within walking distance to the central station, try the Golden Tulips hotel in the De Kolk square:
http://www.goldentulip.com/PropertyI...howLanguage=EN

It often has deals for 99euro, and there is also a room & dinner deal with dinner nextdoor at the Humphreys where they serve a very good 3 course dinner for 25 euro (choice of appetizer/salad, entree, dessert). It has a nice ambiance and very friendly personalized service, full of locals rather than tourists. I've eaten there twice but only looked into the Golden Tulip hotel, never stayed; it's a medium level hotel chain. Even if you don't stay at the hotel, you should consider having a good dinner at Humphreys for the good food and service.

Feb 21st, 2007, 07:27 AM

mp: consider staying in one of the several airport area hotels and taking the train in for the day. IBIS and EATP adjoin each other on the airport periphery - ETAP runs about 50 euros a room so a bargain for Amsterdam for a modern hotel - free shuttle to terminals about every 20 mins. No sleaze out here. www.accorhotels.com www.etaphotels.com I've stayed in the ETAP several times.
Feb 21st, 2007, 07:36 AM

Hi PalenQ, unfortunately I don't have a day! I arrive on a Sunday night around 7pm, and leave Monday morning very early. So I plan on spending the night in town. The Golden Tulip sounds good, I appreciate the hotel+restaurant combo recommendation. I think it might be expensive for me, though.