Search

Amsterdam-Den Haag-Brussels-London

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam-Den Haag-Brussels-London

Hello!
My boyfriend and I are heading back to Europe next month (February). It's our first time in any of these cities.
We fly into Amsterdam going south to Den Haag and Brussels, then to Greenwich in South East London before heading back home to NYC. It's a 14 day trip and we plan to spend about 4 days in each city. Our budget is about €2,500. That's mostly spending money (e.g. food, transportation, site-seeing, shopping). That said, we are young, budget travelers. We'd rather save on accommodations and transportation and spend on experiences.
Most of our stay is booked and includes meals. We were looking for some tips on accommodations in Amsterdam and Brussels. Any tips on high-rated, centrally located inns or hostels?
Also, we love site-seeing and being tourists. But don't want to miss out on authentic or off-the-beaten-path experiences from a local's perspective. Any tips on "can't miss" activities and great tasting "cheap eats" in any of these cities?
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 12:23 PM

In Amsterdam I would choose a B&B over a hotel. Take a look at this website; the choices are endless and so is the price range.
Amsterdam has many interesting neighborhoods that vary in atmosphere. Try to avoid the touristic area directly near the central station. Instead the area around Haarlemmerstraat near the famous Jordaan is much more fun.

http://www.bedandbreakfast.nl/bed-an...lands/c2759794
English language restaurant website: http://eat-amsterdam.com/

I would not bother to stay overnight in The Hague as it is just an hour away by train from Amsterdam, in fact practically any destination in the Netherlands can be reached by train. Leiden, the town half way between Amsterdam and The Hague is also worth a visit. You do realize don't you, that the most interesting museum of The Hague, the Mauritshuis is currently closed for renovation? The famous girl with the pearl earring is traveling and I believe can be seen at the Frick collection in NYC.

Brussels is another story when it comes to finding affordable accommodation as I have just found out myself. Hotels are much more expensive during the week compared to weekends.
I could not find a nice and reasonably priced B&B and had to settle for a business hotel instead.
Personally I actually prefer Ghent and Antwerp over Brussels but that is a matter of taste.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 03:00 PM

In Brussels, there are quite a few different areas where you can get accommodation. The most centrally located for tourists is around the Grand' Place (near Bruxelles-Central), and then the St.-Catherine area. TMear the Grand' Place is also the most expensive area. Further out are the EU district and Louise area. Avoid hotels around Bruxelles-Midi railway station as it's a bit run-down and depressing.

You can get bargains in accommodation in Brussels on the weekends because the civil servants of the EU and the lobbyists are all out of town (home for the weekend). You can therefore get some bargains in the EU district - hotels are good (think business travellers), but the neighbourhood is a little barren. Metro stops are Tröne (Troon), Arts-Loi (Kunst-Wet) or Schuman. Louise is also not bad as a neighbourhood - this is a shopping district, with a posh shopping street (Av. Louise), restaurants, and local shops and cinemas. Metro stops are Louise and Porte de Namur. The metro system is good so it's no hardship taking it.

Good luck, hope you find somewhere you like.

Lavandula
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 03:01 PM

Oops, that should be 'Near the Grand' Place'.!

Lavandula
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 05:27 PM

Oops twice, "Trône", not "Tröne"!