Nuremberg to Switzerland Trip Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are taking a Danube river cruise this summer for our 45th wedding anniversary, starting in Budapest and ending in Nuremberg. We are not scheduled to fly back to the US for another six days and because we would like to spend the majority of our extra time in Switzerland, we have made arrangements to fly out of Geneva 7 days after the end of the Danube cruise. After doing some research, we are thinking we will start our Swiss adventure in Luzern exploring the old town and then visiting Mt. Pilatus. From there we are undecided what to do, but are thinking we should get up into the mountain villages or smaller towns taking in nature and the smaller town/village culture. In conjunction with getting out of the major metropolitan areas are wanting to see as much of Switzerland by scenic train as possible. We are looking for some input from experienced travelers on what train rides to take and what towns or villages to use for overnight stops. Since we are flying out of Geneva we will need to eventually take a train down to Montreax or Geneva.
What I would like input on is the following:

1) What is the best way to get to Luzern from Nuremberg? (We would prefer the train over flying if reasonable from a time and price standpoint. We can leave Nuremberg before 9:30 am which should allow sufficient time to get to Luzern (either way we travel).
and....
2) If you were to put together a six day tour of the Switzerland mountain rails and range, (ending up in Geneva) how would you structure it. Thanks in advance for any and all input?

Ps...We both are in good shape and love hiking and the out doors and have no problems being adventureous or dealing with the high altitudes.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 12:02 AM

I'd say three nights in Lucerne and three nights in a mountain village (Wengen or Mürren prefered) in the Bernese Oberland. One night near the airport in Geneva or along the lake shore, depending on departure time of your plane.

There's a nice connection from Nürnberg to Luzern with two changes in Karlsruhe and Basel. Dep. 9.39 and arr. 16.05 - there are even discounted tickets (39 Euro p. person) available for this on www.bahn.de (three months in advance).
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Ingo... Thanks so much for the quick response & suggestions. Will definitely look into the discounted train tickets to Luzern. Wengen was definitely a village that we talked about staying in, especially on the August 1st, which seems to be the national independence day (of sorts) and thought the celebration there might be more appealing than in a larger city like Luzern. Anyway, this is just one of the options we need to sort out. Again, thanks. Thrutch
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM

I would think it may be quicker to go Nurembourg to Stuttgart then Stuttgart to Zurich/Lucerne - maybe not.

Anyway after Luzern I would spend the rest of my time in the fabulous IMO Interlaken/Jungfrau Region (a k a Berner Oberland) - the very highlight of Switzerland to me and for anyone who has never been there - the dreamy snow-girdled Alpine peaks vision etched in our minds' eyes - glacier, chalet-strewn meadows dotted with belt tinkling cows - great hiking for all energy levels - stay in a mountain villag like Grindelwald, Wengen, etc - places perched way up in the hills and in incredibly idyllic picture postcard settings.

And then to get to Geneva from Interlaken take the fabled Golden Pass specialty scenic train to Montreux, change there for a train to Geneva (takes slightly longer than the main route via Bern and Lausanne but is so so much nicer in scenery!)

And even for this seemingly limited amount of travel be sure to investigate the Swiss Saver Pass that would take you from the German border at Basel or other point to Lucerne, Intrlaken and up into the hills and the Golden Pass to Montreux and Geneva - a 4-consectuive-day pass would be the most cost-effective - say you do not use a day to get to Lucerne and end up the last day in Geneva needing just to get to the airport - or a 3-day 'flexipass' - passes cover lake boats (great thing to do in Lucerne on idyllic Lake Lucerne IMO), city trams and buses, postal buses and nearly all trains except those that go only to mountain top and those are 50% off.

Anyway for loads on Swiss trains and transports and passes I always spotlight these tremendous IMO sites - www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM

GoldenPass Line - Swiss Travel SystemYou have reached the very heart of Switzerland. Lake Lucerne already awaits you ... 1) Change trains. 2) Change trains in Spiez. 3) GoldenPass Panoramic ...
http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/c...ldenpass-line/

The legendary Golden Pass railway/rail route from Interlaken to Lake Geneva at Montreux (with rail links to Geneva from there) is a great way to go between the Interlaken area and Geneva - check out the fabulous IMO unique VIP seats!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:02 AM

The shortest connection Nurenberg to Lucerne I found it a quick glance at bahn.de goes via a very interesting but seemingly cumbersome route with several changes of train and even a boat

Nürnberg 08:57 ICE 1603 Intercity-Express

Augsburg Hbf Th, 31.03.11 arr 10:07
dep 10:17 1 EC 390

Ulm Hbf Th, 31.03.11 arr 11:03
Transfer time 9 min. Adjust the transfer time
Ulm Hbf Th, 31.03.11 dep 11:12 IRE 4225

Friedrichshafen Stadt Th, 31.03.11 arr 12:24

Friedrichshafen Stadt Th, 31.03.11 dep 12:33 3 AB RB Num

Friedrichshafen Hafen Th, 31.03.11 arr 12:35
Friedrichshafen Fähre Th, 31.03.11 dep 12:41 (Boat)

attention: border crossing, Bodensee-Schiffsbetriebe GmbH
Romanshorn (See) Th, 31.03.11 arr 13:22

Romanshorn Th, 31.03.11 dep 13:41 IC 828 Intercity

Zürich HB Th, 31.03.11 arr 14:51

Zürich HB Th, 31.03.11 dep 15:04 IR 2347

Luzern Th, 31.03.11 arr 15:49

And IME of riding German and Swiss trains for years do not be worried about all the changes - mainly from one platform to another or a short walk from the Friedrichshafen train station to boat.

Anyway includes a float across the Boden See! And ther are frequent trains/boats all day in case you want to linger somewhere.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ... thanks for the input. Will definitely check out the various options from Nuremberg to Lucerne and plan on the Golden Pass Line from Interlaken area to Montreaux/Geneva. Does anyone know what travel and celebrations, parades, etc. will be going on August 1st. We are trying to decide if we would be better off in a larger city like Lucerne or up in the Village(s) like Wengen/Murren/or Grindelwald??? Any thoughts. Thanks for the help.
Thrutch, Bill
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 11:04 PM

Where will you be on August 1st?
If you're up in the mountains, e.g. Berner Oberland (Wengen, Mürren and Grindelwald) you will see bonfires at strategic public sites, parades, folkloristic entertainment and fireworks. This also applies to the communities along Lake Lucerne. That's where it all began in 1291. You'll be in the heart of the country

Don't forget in your planning, August 1st., falls on a Monday. It means a long weekend at the height of the vacation season. That translates into increased traffic and crowds everywhere.

If you travel by train on the weekend in Germany & Switzerland, brace yourself and pack lightly.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 07:11 AM

Just above Lake Lucerne is the Rutli Meadow where the Swiss confederation sprang to life long ago - I would suppose there may be spcial events there in the meadow where it call began?

You can take a boat to just under the meadow area.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 11:56 AM

Rütli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaEvery August 1, on the Swiss National Day, the oath is re-enacted to commemorate the forming of the Old Swiss Confederacy. Land forming the Rütli meadow was ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rütli

Yes there are special ceremonies at Rutli Meadow on August 1 and also check out the pictures of the meadow - just a nice place to go to by boat - nice views from up top.

For a special August 1 check out the famous events at Rutli Meadow!
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM

In Nurnberg itself if at all interested in Third Reich relics do not miss what is called the most complete remains of Third Reich edifices in all of Germanuy - a few miles south of the town center and accessible by either tram or S-Bahn commuter train.

Here you have the miles of parade grounds - recently refurbished to mint condition after being overgrown for years and some stadia - including one where Hitler had a box where he would famously stand and review the thousands of goose-stepping Nazi troops - the box is still there.

Nurnberg was a huge center of Third Reich ceremonies.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Waggis & PalenQ... Appreciate all the input. Here is a little more info on what we already have scheduled for the trip. Once we complete the 8 days cruising the Danube from Budapest to Nurenberg (and touring towns in between)we will hop the train from Nurenberg to Lucerne. When in Nurenberg, we are scheduled to take a tour of the Third Reich & other related war historical sites. When we head to Lucerne (on July 30th) and we have reserved a room for two nights (30th and 31st) at the Des Alpes Hotel in Old Town, on the river, just across from the train station. I am now wondering if we should stay a third night (August 1st) there before heading to Murren, Wengen, or Gimmelwald. We could still take train/day-trips from Lucerne, but I am starting to get concerned about trying to travel to the Berner Oberland area on the 1st and finding a place to stay that night and for two days. We fly out of Geneva on the 5th, so we still could spend the 2nd and 3rd, in the mountains and then head to Montreax or Genevea on the 4th.. Any thoughts???
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:55 AM

There would certainly be no trouble traveling by train anywhere in Switzerland on August 1 - just like any Sunday train-wise I believe with hourly trains probably - and a very scnic route goes up and over the Brunig Pass from Lucrne to Interlaken-Ost - a tad slower than the mainline route via Berne but oh so much more gorgeous scenery.

I would definitely book a hotel in Interlaken or other Jungfrau town in advance as it could be a busy time. But I do think the Berner Oberland is so so fantastic that if possible spend a few days there exploring - maybe stay in a mountain town easily reached by train like Grindelwald or Wengen or Lauterbrunnen.