Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amsterdam Coffeeshops.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amsterdam-coffeeshops-533938/)

INET480 Jun 3rd, 2005 10:11 AM

Amsterdam Coffeeshops....

Any recommendation for coffeeshops in Amsterdam where an "older" couple would not be out of place?

Any with live music?

mm Jun 3rd, 2005 10:18 AM

Any of the Bull Dog coffee houses would be good but the one in Leidsplein(sp) may be the best bet. It's bright and has good smoke and drinks as well.

There are some really cools ones which you should check out.

My personal favorite is De Rokerij. Has a much more hippy feel to it than the Bull Dog.

Always near the top of the list is Lucky Mother's.

Have fun but be careful. SOme of the smoke is super potent and may knock you for a loop.

mm

suze Jun 3rd, 2005 10:42 AM

Let's Go Amsterdam guidebook has an excellent section about all different kinds of places with detailed descriptions about atmosphere and clientele.

I liked the Rookies nearby to Bull Dog in the Leidseplein, just a normal low key bar kind of place.

PalQ Jun 3rd, 2005 10:54 AM

In all due to respect to mm the Bulldog is exactly the type of place you seem to want to avoid. It's full of college-age kids, many Americans, and has non-live blaring music along with higher prices for the 'coffee' than other shops. Not that you wouldn't be welcome there - but the Bulldog is not a typical Dutch coffeeshop, where locals come to play cards, chess, foosball and have a smoke - usually are quiet places like the traditional brown cafes. there are zillions all over. But the Bulldog, even though it's from what i can figure out the second or third oldest coffeeshop in town (speaking of the O Z Voorburgwal original branch)now mainly appeals to college-age kids. The Bulldog is the most successful of coffeeshops, one of the few to create a brand name and several branches, each different themed. Grasshopper to a lesser extent is another. Others like the Happy Family ones bit the dust. The Bulldog's owner, who had a fat ugly english bulldog at the original shop when it opened in the early 80s and you may still see a bulldog in the Leidesplein emporium. Not to say not to go to the Leidseplein extravaganza - it's quite a place - look for the huge pot plants growing by the souvenir shop. Generally the coffeeshops in the town center appeal to tourists, mainly younger ones who flock here from all over Europe and more subdued ones on the periphery. I don't think many coffeeshops have live music - most are small places. In any case i wouldn't worry about being welcome in any because of your age, which you don't say, but it's the nature of the coffeeshop to be laissez-faire; stoners aren't often judgmental. Only you will feel out of place perhaps. Like in the US many 50 year olds smoke pot from the 70s and you'll see many in shops.

artlover Jun 3rd, 2005 11:04 AM

We just went to a coffeeshop in Amsterdam (we're in our 50s) and it came highly recommended and I can see why. The menu was amazing and the atmosphere was fine, not live music, but not loud either. We decided to get the hashcake and take it back to our hotel room and have it there--I don't like dealing with crowds or "finding places" when I'm stoned, so this was a great option for us (you can also get bon bons and brownies, but the young Italian man who helped us recommended the cake.)

Now, the problem is, I lost my journal in Italy, so I don't have the name of the place, but I think it was something like Bluebird. Anyone here know of this place?

If you want, I'll check my notes in my research files...I know it's somewhere, but I still haven't finished unpacking (and we've been home a week!), so I need to do that first. When are you going?

uptowngirl2418 Jun 3rd, 2005 11:18 AM

We stopped in at Cannabis College www.cannabiscollege.com for a map of coffee shops and advice.
There is one called Bluebird www.coffeeshopbluebird.nl
Have Fun!!!

suze Jun 3rd, 2005 11:30 AM

You can take it to-go even if it's not in a baked good. One place provided a small travel case.

I thought the bulldog looked kinda scary but did not go inside. It reminded me of a chain restaurant for some reason, bright and loud.

PalQ Jun 3rd, 2005 12:08 PM

Bluebird is one of the oldest and most reputable coffeeshops in town.

artlover Jun 3rd, 2005 04:39 PM

Yes, it was Bluebird! Thank you PalQ. And I agree with Suzy--Bulldog looked a little rough to me. Gee, I wish I knew you could have gotten it "to go" (though I was just fine with the cake, DH still thinks it was a placebo effect!)

TracyB Jun 3rd, 2005 04:50 PM

There are so many coffeeshops in Amsterdam to choose from!! Our favorite is de Dampkring. (we are in our early and late 40's)..No live music, but there is music playing and it is really nicely decorated.Serves beer as well if you are interested.Bluebird is definately a must..The Bulldogs are not our favorite, we barely ever go unless it is an emergency!! 420 Cafe is nice (good atmosphere)..And Barney's is also good..You can pick up a coffeeshop guide at most coffeshops with a list and a map of how to get to each..It doesn't stop there, though, there are lots of other good ones..It is fun to walk around and check them all out and see which one's suit you!! Don't worry about age, they are all for any age..I found that Abraxas is mostly younger people though (very young)..Also check out Grey Area..

Danna Jun 3rd, 2005 05:14 PM

We are older and enjoy coffeeshops. We always get it "to go."

I found a site with a map and description of cafes and a map. I can't find it now. But, I found it easily with a Coffeeshop Amsterdam search. I think it discouraged visiting the Bull Dog.

Anyway, we just go in and ask for advice on the mildest weed we can buy. I have now learned to buy the least amount. The last shop we visited was near the Nieuwmarkt and a lovely Irish man assisted us!

I do love Amsterdam. As I told my husband on our last visit, life is good and this is dessert.

Travelnut Jun 3rd, 2005 05:33 PM

You all realize the government is trying to legislate that marijuana only be sold to residents of the Netherlands to discourage "drug tourism" (to appease more conservative European neighbors). Whether this actually is put into practice is anyone's guess.

PalQ Jun 3rd, 2005 05:44 PM

travelnut: hopefully the recent rejection of the EU Constitution by about 62% of Dutch voters will prevent such actions as many said marijuana legilization) tacitlly if not strictly legal was one example of EU meddling they didn't want. Of course limiting to Dutch residents would be a big financial blow to Holland - the money brought by 'drug tourism' must be immense - not from drug sales but from hotels, etc. If it happens it will just mean that shady street dealers take over as was the case in the 70s - they will buy from the shops legally and re-sell. Limiting to non-dutch has about as much chance of becoming law as banning smoking in all cafes and coffeeshops - easy to do but hard to enforce. Most Dutch i talk to seem to like the way it is and resent the likes of Jacques Chirac trying to change Dutch laws through EU beaucratic bull shit. I mean if it's legal for the Dutch while wouldn't it be legal for anyone? If it's bad for foreigners it must be bad for the Dutch as well?

topcat Jun 3rd, 2005 06:31 PM

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/
http://www.hiptravelguide.com/amster...eeshoplist.php
Het Zonnetje has been recommended to me.
Jacob Van Lennepstraat 86, just north of the Vondelpark.