Amsterdam: Clothing shop for tall women?

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam: Clothing shop for tall women?

My wife loves to puchase one or two articles of clothing when we travel to serve as a reminder of the trip. The problem is that she is quite tall (6 feet). This means she has to buy most of her clothing in specialty shops that cater to the vertically enhanced, such as Long Tall Sally in the UK and Tall Girl here in Canada. We will soon be making our first visit to Amsterdam and were wondering if such shops exist there. We will also be visiting Paris but expect it to be a lost cause (except for scarves).
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:26 PM

I seem to remember that the Dutch are very tall - women and men.

I'm 5'8" and I remember feeling like a shrimp compared to the statuesque Dutch beauties.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Hi Gavin,
I'm 6'2 myself and understand your wife completely! Let me tell you that in Amsterdam (where I go often), I've never seen a tall girls shop. However the women are generally very tall there, so pants aren't a big problem. The shopping in Amsterdam isn't really great though. I never seem to find anything I like there.
However Zara has opened up now, and that's always got good stuff. Long pants are trendy these days, and in the last 2 seasons, I haven't had a hard time finding pants that fit.
Paris will be much better for shopping! There are a million stores, and if you can afford the big names, their pants are usually unhemmed, and therefore really long. It's up to you to decide the length. Paris is full of options, where as in A'dam, there are more things for trendy teenagers (cheap and not great quality).
Good luck.
Melissa
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:06 PM

I am not tall, but I love shopping in Amsterdam...I always come home with some really neat clothes...I find that they have a variety of sizes, just like Canada and I don't think you will have a problem..Now of course, I don't know what type of clothes you are lookin for, but for me, I always come home with a suitcase full!!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 07:14 AM

I'm not sure the dutch are so tall - I'm 5'8" and didn't feel short there - like I did in Noray and Sweden, but they are probably at least as tall as americans on average - so she can probably find a tall shop (sorry I don't have any details). If she really wants to enjoy shopping she should try Scandinavia - i was amazed to see that the sample shoes in the store windows were my size (9) vs the size 6 they use in the US.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 07:37 AM

The Dutch are the tallest people in the world. And I know it is easy for a tall person to get clothes in Holland, because I know many average-height and short people who can't buy a pair of pants without taking them to a tailor there.