Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amsterdam Bike Tour Recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amsterdam-bike-tour-recommendations-1665283/)

rkyracr Mar 28th, 2019 11:22 AM

Amsterdam Bike Tour Recommendations

Hi Everyone - Going to be stopping in AMS for 5 days while traveling. We are looking for a fun tour group to lead us through town on a bike tour, we do this in most cities we visit and really enjoy biking around with a good tour guide. Your recommendations are appreciated!

menachem Mar 28th, 2019 11:33 AM

Don't do it. Instead, rent bikes at Central Station and immediately take the ferry to North. Once there, cycle the loop along Nieuwendammerdijk, stop at Het Sluisje for a drink, continue to Durgerdam and back again via Ransdorp to the ferry.

Cycling in Amsterdam is serious business, and us, serious cyclists don't suffer tourists on bikes lightly.

Tulips Mar 28th, 2019 01:15 PM

What Menachem says.

janisj Mar 28th, 2019 01:15 PM

>>Don't do it. <<. . . . Or more accurately . . . >>DON'T do it!<<

Amsterdam is not a place for casual biking. As Menachem suggests, get out of town and ride.

PalenQ Mar 28th, 2019 01:23 PM

https://www.macbike.nl/bike-tours/

If you want to cycle around the city with a group and guide check out the daily tours on Amsterdam by bike - they obviously chose routes next to canals and avoid the notorious main bike paths that can be so dangerous to novice Amsterdam cyclists. They also offer in country tours a la menachem's routes and others.

I have biked around Amsterdam and menachem's route via the free ferries at the rear of Centraal Station lead thru a bit of urban areas with wide bike paths into the countryside for beautiful bike paths with few other bikers, at least compared to Amsterdam.

menachem Mar 28th, 2019 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16895030)

If you want to cycle around the city with a group and guide check out the daily tours on Amsterdam by bike - they obviously chose routes next to canals and avoid the notorious main bike paths that can be so dangerous to novice Amsterdam cyclists. They also offer in country tours a la menachem's routes and others.

I have biked around Amsterdam and menachem's route via the free ferries at the rear of Centraal Station lead thru a bit of urban areas with wide bike paths into the countryside for beautiful bike paths with few other bikers, at least compared to Amsterdam.

I've seen MacBike tours ride through the city. DON'T DO IT! Despite everything PalenQ remembers from Amsterdam.

PalenQ Mar 29th, 2019 06:24 AM

I know nothing about MacBike's city tours but they've been doing them a long time -not out of business due to accidents - just listing as option.

menachem Mar 29th, 2019 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16895392)
I know nothing about MacBike's city tours but they've been doing them a long time -not out of business due to accidents - just listing as option.

Yes, they bank on other road users paying enough attention to have no collisions with their groups.

Tulips Mar 30th, 2019 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16895030)

they obviously chose routes next to canals and avoid the notorious main bike paths that can be so dangerous to novice Amsterdam cyclists.

There is no such thing as a quiet bike path along the canals.

PalenQ Mar 30th, 2019 10:39 AM

Well they've done those Amsterdam bike day trips daily for years and yes the pictures show canals -again if they had dangerous routes they would not do those trips - I don't know how they get around the city but they do and without mayhem one would assume.

Tulips Mar 30th, 2019 01:17 PM

When was the last time you used the bike company you recommend in Amsterdam, PalenQ?

PalenQ Mar 30th, 2019 02:01 PM

I've never used it nor meant to imply that I had. But those tours have been around - MacBike - forever and if they offer city tours twice daily in season I assume they have a safe way of doing it - don't you? I only mention it as an option since OP expressly wished to have a city bike tour like they have had in so many cities. And these tours IMO are very safe - contrary to the hyperbole locals put on bike mania in every street of Amsterdam when in effect this mayhem is on a relatively few bike paths that provide access to and exits from the city and these can be like the Indianapolis 500, especially at rush hours. But I'm sure those tours do not go on those busy paths - again these tours have to be safe or they would not be in operation.

A look at their tours say exactly where they go and they do circle the city. I know nothing about these tours but know that they must be safe or would not be offered. Tulips - don't you think so too?

janisj Mar 30th, 2019 02:25 PM

>>I've never used it . . .<<

End of discussion. The rest is all irrelevant.

PalenQ Mar 30th, 2019 02:33 PM

>>I've never used it . . .<<

End of discussion. The rest is all irrelevant>

Total B S - I am just giving options - when everyone else said to never ever bike in Amsterdam I know of a very reputable tour group that does such trips - and presumably safely. To be able to mention something as an option does not mean you have had to actually take one - and I am NOT recommending it - just giving it as an option to explore. Another one of your picayune snarks based on nothing but....

StCirq Mar 30th, 2019 02:39 PM

<<Another one of your picayune snarks based on nothing>>

No, another one of your useless recommendations based on nothing.

PalenQ Mar 30th, 2019 02:45 PM

I did NOT recommend it - just gave it as a viable option. I said up front:

<I know nothing about MacBike's city tours but they've been doing them a long time -not out of business due to accidents - just listing as option.>

Since none of you have taken the city tour you can't say how dangerous it would be either as several said.

Enough said.

janisj Mar 30th, 2019 02:47 PM

Pal: Fodorites who LIVE in the Netherlands have tried and tried (and tried) to explain that your recommendation is not good. Yet you persist.

You 'know of' a tour company yet admit you have never used them. Anyone can 'know of' anything -- all it takes a google search.

PalenQ Mar 30th, 2019 02:56 PM

Again janis I did not recommend it just gave as option of a city tour that has gone on a long time by a veteran tour company - don't you think if that would be as dangerous as one ex-local said the would be out of business. Just options janis - especially when others said was daft. IMO using that tour would not be daft or again they would not give the tour. DUH! You can deny that all you want but thousands of folks have taken a city bike tour with MacBike and other groups I have not heard of probably. And you obviously are just parroting what other Fodorites say - something you criticized me for!

historytraveler Mar 30th, 2019 03:14 PM

For many years I would’ve considered myself a good cyclist. I did many triathlons and the cycling part was my favorite but that was over ten years ago. I know I would not consider a biking tour within the city. Cycling in the countryside is one thing but negotiating one’s way through traffic and tourists who seldom pay attention is a completely different ride.
Just because a company hasn’t reported any accidents doesn’t necessarily mean there hasn’t been incidents. I always thought one should have experience with or be familiar with something before recommending it. If not then one should always preface their suggestions stating that they have no experience with it and do so at the beginning of their post otherwise it’s assumed you have knowledge that you don’t.

StCirq Mar 30th, 2019 03:20 PM

<< just gave it as a viable option.>>

But you don't KNOW if it's a viable option because you've never done it and haven't set foot in Amsterdam in years. As a recent visitor I can attest that a tourist on a bike tour in Amsterdam these days has a death wish.