Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amsterdam&Bruges OR Prague&CesklyKrumluv (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amsterdam-and-bruges-or-prague-and-cesklykrumluv-780639/)

barrister Apr 22nd, 2009 11:33 AM

Amsterdam&Bruges OR Prague&CesklyKrumluv

I was planning a side trip from England. I was thinking either Amsterdam/Bruges or Prague. Amsterdam is more expensive but seems there is more to do. I need helping deciding which one to visit. I am from NYC and don't like to visit big cities (for instance on my last trip to spain I wish I spent less time in barcelona and madrid and spent more time in Toledo and Salamanca). I love beautiful scenaries and things that are unique. Any suggestions? Thanks much!!!

zeppole Apr 22nd, 2009 11:53 AM

How about just sticking to Belgium and staying out of big cities: Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge and a visit to the Grand Place in Brussels?

Or you could consider smaller places in the Netherlands (Haarlem, Delft, Den Haag), and not stay in Amsterdam.

Palenque Apr 22nd, 2009 11:55 AM

Amsterdamned and Prague are both big cities - though central Amsterdam to me has a smaller town feel - virtually no cars as they are restricted to a few main arteries. And there are trees along the canals, etc.

Prague is more of a hectic big city except in the Castle-Charles Bridge area it seems.

But this is a question that is impossible to answer unless you say you like to visit museums - Amsterdam and Bruges have many world-class ones, etc.

Cesky Krumlov is a dreamy old smaller city that may be more to your liking as it Bruges - to me the dreamiest city north of the Alps - with its old canals, old Flemish facades extant from when it was one of the world's biggest cities long ago - before its port silted up leaving it high and dry and ships moved to Antwerp.

Obviously from London Bruges and Amsterdam are shorter time-wise and perhaps cheaper if you get some bargain flights or Eurostar tickets or take the cheap Harwich-Hook of Holland boats.

And in Amsterdam and Bruges a lot of English is spoken - not so much in Prague if that makes a difference

Prague also has a poor reputation for pickpockets and dishonest taxis, etc. if you believe it all

amsterdamned did have a big problem as well with street crime but in recent years has taken stringent measures to combat it.

Sassafrass Apr 22nd, 2009 09:12 PM

Bruges is so charming, we went there last fall to stay only a day with the plan to go on to Amsterdam. We ended up staying a week in Bruges. We also liked Ghent (though it is a city, the city center is charming) and hope to go back. All the little towns in the Netherlands that Zeppole mentioned are also lovely.

barrister Apr 22nd, 2009 11:11 PM

Thanks so much for your advice, I decided that I will do the Bruges and Amsterdam. The Rick Steves book I have says that Amsterdam is really crowded the six weeks the tulips are in bloom. I was planning to go around the 11th-15th...I would hate to miss the tulips, how bad are the crowds?

Dukey Apr 22nd, 2009 11:32 PM

I was just in Amsterdam this past weekend and it didn't seem all that more crowded than usual...Keukenhof was a mob scene however probably due to the wonderful weather this past weekend.
You;ll probably see a lot more blooms OUTSIDE the city than you will in and if you are "into" museums consider the "Colors of the Night" show at the Van Gogh or just the Rijksmuseum no matter what but go EARLY.

lanejohann Apr 23rd, 2009 02:14 AM

i havent been to amsterdam
my son has - twice and he didnt like it all that much

i have been to prague and cesky krumlov
loved cesky krumlov ( was glad to get out of the tourist face of prague which i found disturbing)

dfr4848 Apr 23rd, 2009 04:05 AM

Well, having been to all 4, I was going to vote for Prague/Cesky Krumlov, especially if you want something unigue and scenic. But since it looks like you've decided, guess I won't (!).

Still, you can't go wrong with your choice. Brugge is an absolute delight. Make sure you spend at least one night to really enjoy it when the day crowds leave.

danon Apr 23rd, 2009 07:57 AM

I have not been to Prague yet; you'll find a lot of tourists in Bruges any time.
Many small towns to visit in Holland. I love Amsterdam ,PP is right: it does not feel like a big city.

suec1 Apr 23rd, 2009 08:23 AM

May 11th - 15th? tulips might be fading by then. I think if you stay in the canal zone in Amsterdam it will not seem so crowded. There are numerous day trip you can take to smaller cities / towns in Holland like Delft and Harlem. You might even want to consider a stay in Harlem - I think Rick suggests that as an option. We took the train to Harlem and rented bikes and rode to the coast - that was a great day. We love Brugge too, this time of year it is full of lilacs. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

babsNYC Apr 23rd, 2009 09:05 AM

As a fellow New Yorker, I doubt that any of these cities will feel like a "big city". London and Berlin have big city vibes but Prague? It's like saying that Greenwich Village is a big city. Sure, there will be plenty of tourists but it's heartbreakingly beautiful and it's not the hustle bustle feeling of New Yorkers marching with determination to work, etc.

Have a great time.