Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam and Bruges, I am Finally Going! Any Input?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We decided to take Orbitz's offer of 825 $ per person rt to Amsterdam from Atl. They have the "price assurance" which makes it more of an acceptable way to go. I think I am going to do Priceline for Amsterdam and maybe for for Bruges. We decided to do 6 days Amsterdam with daytrips Harleem Delft and Hague, and 3 day Bruges, with the last day Amsterdam. I have m Rick Steves guide book. Any thoughts on my trip? Priceline tips? Priceline hotels?
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
yk

Your time allocation sounds great.

We enjoyed our stay at this B&B in Bruges:
http://www.b-bverhulst.com/tuinkamer.htm

You didn't say when you're going, but one of the things we enjoyed very much in Bruges (apart from the fantastic museums and just walking around after the daytrippers are gone), was our bike ride along the canal to Damme. All bike routes are very well-marked. Armed with a bike map provided by our B&B owner, we biked through fields and along canals for an entire afternoon.

Oh, and if you haven't done so yet, please rent the movie <b>In Bruges</b>. We watched it before our trip, and again after our trip. We LOVE IT!

If you want, you can take a look at the Bruges section of my trip report from 2008:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-2585608
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Throw your Rick Steves guidebook in the trash and buy a Michelin Green Guide Holland.

"Harleem" is probably Haarlem. Stay in Delft or the Hague for those two cities.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Hi, Judy. First Bavaria and now Benelux? I am envious.

If you use Priceline, you might get the Movenpick, which is built into the cruise ship terminal. Probably a five minute walk from Centraal Station. Haven't stayed there, but I wouldn't be too upset if I did. When I used Priceline for Amsterdam we got the Renaissance, which is very close to the station and the Dam as well. The other likely choice for Priceline (four stars) is the Marriott, which is closer to Vondel park and the museums. I wouldn't hesitate staying in any of those properties.

For side trips we went to Delft, Maastricht, and Haarlem. All recommended. Hearing an organ recital at St. Bavo's church in Haarlem was a particular treat.

Consider a side trip to Ghent.

Remember to take some good water-proof jackets. I was there in August and it was very rainy, windy, and even chilly on occasion. Umbrellas were very little help.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Re Priceline for Amsterdam... great timing. For the past few months 4 star hotels have been in the 70-100 US dollar range.

Drop by the Netherlands forum at Trip Advisor and look for the most recent update to the Priceline thread. members usually keep it on the first couple of pages.

You should also have a look at betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com to see what the latest news is on hotels etc. At this point, naming your own price is the way to go in Amsterdam.

Good luck!

Rob
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM

For what it's worth, when we did Amsterdam then rugge we didn't return to Amsterdam but just got off the train at Schipol for the trip home.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In Amsterdam I really preferred the areas around Leidseplein and Vondelpark or the Jordaan, instead of the central area around the Dam, train station, and Red Light district. I would try for your hotel out in that area.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Two great locations! We really liked Hotel Adornes in Bruges, wonderful location, very comfortable. The canal cruise gives you very different perspective from walking (or biking), so don't miss that. We had a great meal in Amsterdam at deLuwte on Leliegracht 26-28. Enjoy!
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Fabulous replies, as usual . I did try Priceline yesterday and was rejected 95$ for a five star....will try in the future. We are going Sept 17-28. Jsmith, that is something to think about. YK, you are always soo helpful! That B7B looks great! Which room did you stay in? Parisandamsterdam, I am working the bidding sites, and they are very helpful. I am thinking of going with a four stars in AMS. Nancy, I will look up the Hotel Adorne, thanks.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 07:27 AM
yk

Hi Judyrem, we stayed at the Garden room. The owners are very nice and they make a fabulous breakfast. The only complaint I have, is because it's an old house, the floors creak. On our first night, the people who were in the room above us had an early train to catch, so they were up at like 4am and their footsteps kept me up until they departed.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; The fairy tale castle in Muiden, ten miles south of Amsterdam, is a fun place to visit. www.castles.nl/muid/muid.html We had a very nice dinner by a canal at this French restaurant. Prices were very reasonable. www.theeboom.com/ Dick
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks iris for the info. It looks wonderful and I LOVE castles! YK, I was looking at Hotel Fevery also, it was getting good reviews on TA, but the rooms looked a little small. BTW, Dutch, we have to get a deck replaced and floors refinished, BUT I will do it in the future...you never know about trips...trips are more important than decks and floors ;-).
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM

Bring a warm jacket We were there in Mid June and I had to buy a sweat jacket with the hood for my grandaughter..It was cold, damp and rainy..

We loved Amsterdam and took a day trip to some small fishing village.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM

I love both cities, especially Bruges! Three days is enough time there. I recommend taking one of the tourist boat rides in the canals. The famous tower in the main square is beautiful but don't climb to the top if you have health problems or get cloisterphobic. If you've seen enough of Bruges after two days you can drive or take a train thirty minutes to Ghent which is also quite lovely. And I agree with an earlier post, see the entertaining film 'In Bruges'!

I'm going to Antwerp this weekend. You should be able to book a 4-star room for 60-ish euros/night (around 100 dollars) with breakfast.

In Amsterdam, we really enjoyed the Van Gogh museum and the Anne Frank house. The state museum has a great deal of the Dutch Masters paintings. Even if you are more conservative, I would check out the red-light district- some of the best architecture in town (among other things).
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kismet for the heads up on clothes and weather. Tubaguy, that is not bad idea about Ghent. I had planned on staying there, but decided on Bruges. I did see the film, and that is one of the reasons we are going!
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM

Have a wonderful time in Bruges! I was there in mid-May just for 1 day, but I loved it (my trip report is somewhere in the Europe forum).

One my co-workers lived in Bruges for a bit and gave me a list of things to see/do. The most important thing he emphasized was get frites from the green trucks in the Burg. Sadly, I did not do this and so regret it, but I pass this piece of info on to you.

Have a fun trip! I hope that you have better weather than I did that day. It rained for the better part of the day, but it didn't detract from the beauty of Bruges.

TR
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Dutch, I just did Priceline again and got the 4* Moevenpick...it LOOKS great, but the location, not so much. They do have a tram.. I guess we will have to use it. I am a bit disappointed...oh well, this a price watcher vacation ;-).
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM

Judy - I wouldn't be too disappointed. It is a pretty new hotel and Moevenpick (or however it is spelled) is known for a pretty high level of service. You can use the tram, or I think I paid 5 euro for a taxi to Centraal Station. (From a cruise boat.) Another bonus, the RLD is close by.

Hopefully you won't be there during a soccer match between Ireland and the Netherlands. Think of all of the extra pomme frites and beer you can enjoy with the money you are saving.

I know you liked Rothenburg - you will like Brugge as well.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM

Don't throw out the Rick Steves guidebook; it has good stuff. In Haarlem, a fun thing to do is rent a bike and ride to the huge national park along the North Sea; beautiful beach and interesting paths through the sand dunes. (The name of the park escapes me just now, but I can look back into my journal from a 2006 trip.)
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:39 AM

For what it is worth the weather this week will be warm and sunny so come prepared for anything. You can see the local forecast, including the daily rain radar at www. Buienradar.nl. If you click on the 2 weken button it gives you a rough idea of the weather for the coming two weeks. the 5 dagen button is more accurate for the coming 5 days (duh!). Useful too to bookmark so you can check it whilst your here if you have a computer/internet access.
September is very often lovely with misty mornings turning into warm sunny days. A light jacket is always a good idea, as it can cool off quickly in the evening.
At least you miss the IBC, which should mean there are hotels available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -