Florence with 11 & 13 year old

Old May 30th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence with 11 & 13 year old

Hello a family of 4 with an 11 and 13 year old. 3 nights in Florence in late June. I know there is a ton to see and we enjoy walking, art, culture, etc. (in 2 hour or so increments). Have you done anything in Florence with your tween/teen that stood out? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old May 30th, 2016, 10:42 AM

The Palazzo Vecchio offers several programs for young people; the best one in my opinion is the Secret Passages tour. You may be able to pre-book on line.

There's a book called Florence: Just Add Water which has a lot of kids'-eye ways to enjoy the city (copies at the Palazzo Vecchio bookstore). If they get interested in the Duomo, the Museum of the Works of the Duomo has just been redone, and I think it's fantastic.

My kids loved the Medici Chapel at the Medici Riccardi Palace. The Stibbert Museum has an extensive collection of armor and a nice garden. The Palazzo Davanzati shows how some people lived in the 1400's, in an old tower house.

You can't go wrong unless you find yourself in a long, hot line for a very large attraction (like the Uffizi).
Old May 30th, 2016, 11:14 AM

I would second the Stibbert and Palazzo Davanzati having taken my daughters to both many years ago.

Uffizi - avoid the line by booking your tickets in advance.

Other suggestions -

- walk through (slowly) the main food market (Mercato Centrale) near the famous Mercato di San Lorenzo
- go on an ice cream tour which if possible should include Badiani in Viale dei Mille and taste their Buontalenti - possibly the graetest ice cream in the world
- take them to Il Latini in Via dei Palchetti. Not the top in terms of food but the atmosphere is great with you all being sitted wherever there is space on the long tables.
- go to Chiesa Santa Maria del Carmine and view the murals by Masaccio especially the expulsion from Eden (left of the altar). This church is often overlooked but in any other city outside of Italy would be considered one of the most important sites
- the Bargello which also is often forgotten but serves as a great introduction to sculpture

Mentioning the Bargello, you should point out that there are 3 important towers in Florence - the Bargello, the tower of Palazzo della Signoria and il Campanile di Giotto near the Duomo. Each represents the power of the military, the people nd the clergy. When all three were in unison Florence prospered but when one became too strong disaster was sure to follow.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

These are fantastic suggestions thank you so much. Two of us have tickets to tour Uffizi and we will get a visit from relatives of my husband who live somewhat close to Florence. We plan to visit San Miniato al Monte. Thanks again!!
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 05:09 PM

We went with DDS 11 and 14 and they especially liked the Ponte Vecchio (we left them there for an extra hour and went for a campari), favorites of the Uffizi (esp "Venus on the half shell" they had learned about in school) and a day trip that included Assisi.

(Their school did an overview history of art for all kids in middle school so there were favorites they wanted to look at in every city.)
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 11:39 PM

You probably don't need any more recommendations for museums or historic sites. At 11 and 13yrs old there is only so much you can take in (on second thoughts, that goes for some of us oldies as well!)

Have you thought about taking a cooking class together? Manuela La Spina (her business is called "Cook Eat Italian")does small group/family cooking classes from her home in central Florence. For the youngsters something hand-on like pasta making or gelato making might be an idea.

Ah, I found it..
http://cookeatitalian.com/
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks etruscan. We have thought about a cooking class just not in Florence as we will have family visiting us while we are there and just don't have time for it. We may look into this for another location on our trip. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 11:53 PM

Hi

I haven't visited this but the Museum of Zoology and Natural History looks interesting -
http://www.museumsinflorence.com/mus...l_history.html. There are rooms dedicated to zoology and anatomic waxes. The latter seem educational but may be too graphic for your young ones. Your call...
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks world....wow those anatomic waxes are something you don't see every day! I think we will limit the museums to art but if we had more time I'd consider it.