Interesting story about Amsterdam in NY Times recently - a scheme where alcoholics who due to their malady cannot hold jobs and thus have problems buying booze - so the city has launched a program where alcoholics sweep streets and are paid and also get free beer during breaks and at lunch.
So if you see some folks in orange jump suits cleaning the streets of Amsterdam they may be working for booze.
Just another amazing thing about a city not afraid to embrace controversial things.
I find Amsterdam to be one of Europe's most awesome cities both physically - gorgeous canals, etc but also interesting in these type things you may find - and yes things like coffee shops where cannabis is sold over the counter and folks are allowed to smoke inside - regardless of otherwise no-smoking policies in other places.
Holland recently passed a law banning foreigners from coffee shops but Amsterdam officials have refused to enforce it so the totally unique coffee shops continue.
Amsterdam - a surprise at every turn. From red-light districts to outlandishly garbed young folk, etc.
I am one who travels not only to see the really famous museums like Amsterdam is known for and its physical beauty but also to see local attitudes - being tolerant of a very open red-light district (though the mayor has vowed to get rid of it!) - everyone on bikes - the many cozy cafes and just a general laid-back atmosphere.
Where else would the city hire alcoholics to clean streets and supply them with beer during the day? (Well it was modeled on a similar scheme from other cities the article says.
Amsterdamned for something different (but not everyone's cup of tea for sure!)
Amsterdam is awesome for many reasons and not just being one of Europe's physically most beautiful cities.
J'aime Amsterdam and its ballyhooed tolerance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 शिकार ICLOUD EMAIL ☎ 1~888~260:2909 Password Reset Now ☎ ICLOUD Tec*h
- 2 Rome - Naples - Paestum - Salerno - Ravello Trip Report
- 3 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 4 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 5 Hip Pocket Wifi
- 6 Amalfi as a home base for the Amalfi Coast
- 7 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 8 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 9 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 10 Greatest place for dreaming
- 11 Help me with an affordable hotel in Barcelona
- 12 Paris November 2017
- 13 Internet Cafe in Rome, Florence, and Venice
- 14 Best way to get mobile internet in Spain?
- 15 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 16 where to buy baby gifts in paris?
- 17 What is your favorite Greek Island?
- 18 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 19 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 20 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 21 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 22 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 23 August - Croatia, Italy, Malta
- 24 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 25 Help me pick a destination --- Please!