Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Airport layover - any language issue to worry about?

Old Mar 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have about a 2.5 hour layover in Amsterdam on our way from NYC to Rome. We speak no Dutch (or German). We need to get through customs, re-check luggage (I assume), find our next Gate/flight, and hopefully enough time to grab a coffee and something to eat. Will there be any language issues or issues following the signs? Are the signs obvious enough or is there enough English that we should be ok? Any other tips for the airport would be greatly appreciated (FYi - we are flying KLM for both segments). Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM

You should have no problem. Everything is in English. You would think you were in the states! You should have time to grab a quick bite, but you should scope out where you are going first and eat nearby. I remember going through customs, and then going through security at the gate. Both took time. I don't remember if the security was at the gate both ways, but it was definitely at the gate on the way home. That did take quite a while. Have a great time.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM

I'm glad I saw this thread as I will be flying into Amsterdam on my way to Latvia this summer and then flying out coming back to the states. I also have a layover for an hour and a half in Frankfurt, Germany on my way to Dublin. Only nervous about any language barriers and security/customs time lapses.

Glad to hear most everything is in English, hopefully the airports aren't to big or hard to get through. I'll be arriving in the early morning and departing mid afternoon. I only have roughly an hour in between flights, will that be enough time to get through everything do you think?
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 05:50 PM

The only thing you need to worry about are the restroom attendants sneaking up on you.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM

slven, dhswor is right! There is no problem with language in the Netherlands. I went to Amsterdam on my second trip to Europe (10 years ago) and could not get over how widely spoken English was among all those with whom we interacted in hotels, restaurants, and other venues.

I was told that the Dutch language is very difficult to learn and restricted mostly to the Netherlands so that the great majority in that country speak another language, predominately English. Know that Schipol Airport is huge and you may not have time for a "quick bite" in any case.

You will find the same in Rome. Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM

I heard the funniest thing at AMS.
A guy at a counter asked the clerk something and she replied
"Are you diminished?"

Now of course when myself/friend asked something stupid we
answer "are you diminished?"
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. This is good info and has definitely put my mind at ease regarding the layover at this airport
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:37 PM

there probably isn't any need to claim and re-check luggage, either...ask a your initial check-in if your luggage will be checked all the way through
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM

The OP is flying KLM the whole way. Definitely don't need to claim luggage. Just need to go through immigration and then security. 2.5 hours is plenty of time.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For JK86, I would never take a connection at an international airport with only 1-hour for making a connection! IF your first flight lands & deplanes early or on-time and you don't have to clear customs, you could make it. but that's a very tight schedule.

Do double check on this- but if you are transiting thru Dublin & Amsterdam, hopefully you don't have to go thru customs until your final destination?
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Hello slven, the airport in Amsterdam is often considered one of the easiest and most pleasant airports for international travellers. It is very "passenger friendly". You will not have to retrieve your luggage and recheck it, you will retrieve it when you arrive in Rome. And English is understood throughout the airport, you will not have any problems. Here is the English version of the website, this might help you feel more familar and comfortable regarding the layout etc.
http://www.schiphol.nl/Homepage/Homepage.htm
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM

I am flying from Minneapolis straight to Amsterdam and meeting with a group before departing for Warsaw, Poland, from there onto Vilnuis, Lithuania. Coming home I am going from Dublin to Amsterdam to Minneapolis. My travel agent booked everything and I am a little worried about the length of time I have between the flights. I don't know why she would have booked me with so little time. This is the first time I will have ever flown alone which is the reason for most of my concern.
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 05:01 AM

Thank you for your helpful comments about navigating the airport and the fact that English is spoken.

I am traveling from South Africa to Venice on KLM. Will I need to go through additional security checks when transferring to the Venice flight or will I be staying within the secure area and just finding my new gait?
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 05:13 AM

You will need to go through passport control and security at Schiphol, since you are entering the Schengen zone there. It is all very clearly marked and there are lots of people around who can help you.

You will go through customs on arrival in Venice, but not passport control.
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 05:15 AM

The Schiphol site is very good, and explains it all to you, and offers maps etc. www.Schiphol.nl
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 06:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And guess what? You probably won't get shot at, either!
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 07:06 AM

JAK86: Don't dawdle when you land at Frankfurt. The airport is huge. If I had only an hour between flights, I'd be sprinting for my departure gate.

I wonder if a ride on one of those little golf-cart type vehicles can be arranged ahead of time.