Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amsterdam-314056/)

beckybrat01 May 6th, 2003 05:35 AM

Amsterdam

I have a question about Tulips(bulbs). How much are they generally in Amsterdam? I wanted to mail some home to my mom since I will be missing mothers day?

Bootman4U May 6th, 2003 05:40 AM

The price doesn't matter..they'll be less at K-Mart I am sure...BUT the gift of something like this directly from Amsterdam even if this isn't when you usually plant bulbs is priceless..and yes, they will take credit cards!

r_shum May 6th, 2003 06:40 AM

Is it possible to see the bulb fields in early June? Will Harleem/Leiden still available? Thanks.

Giovanna May 6th, 2003 06:53 AM

Becky: What a lovely idea for a mother's day gift. I don't know where you're from, but suggest you check whether or not you are allowed to send plant matter to wherever your mom lives. I'm reasonably certain there are restrictions in some states.

BBblue May 6th, 2003 11:41 AM

I recently wrote to Tulip World in the Netherlands regarding restrictions on bringing the bulbs back into the US, and this was the response I got:
"Thank you for your e-mail. Answering your question, I am not sure exactly on the bulb restriction, but I think it is important to warn you on shopping for flower bulbs in this time of year in Holland. TulipWorld cooperates with the Dutch Board of Tourism to sell quality flowerbulbs because for many years for example the flowermarket here in Amsterdam has been offering tulip bulbs to tourists during the spring and summer season.

As you may know these bulbs should have been planted late autumn. The bulbs that are offered on the market are old harvest and very often rotten, dried down, soft or, if they still perform, a completely different variety than is shown on the package. Many tourist are ripped off this way every year. The Dutch Board of Tourism and TulipWorld are now offering tourists a flyer they can use to order bulbs from our company on the internet. You will be able to find this flyers in the Tourist Information Board in front of the Amsterdam Central Station. Fresh bulbs will be delivered at the proper time for planting at a special 10% discount for tourists. We deliver to the USA, Switzerland, and the EU countries.

So I hope you will enjoy your stay in Holland and be careful in shopping for tulip or other spring bulbs.If you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again and I wish this information has been helpful."

I found this to be very helpful, I hope you do too.

BBblue May 6th, 2003 11:47 AM

To r-shum:
The bulb garden just outside Leiden or Lisse that I think you are refering to is called Keukenhof. Here's their website; www.keukenhof.com

This year, I believe they are only open until May 18th.

r_shum May 6th, 2003 05:04 PM

BBblue
I will only arrive Amsterdam in early June. So, I will miss the Keukenhof. I read some guidebook saying there are fields (not garden) along the ride between Leiden & Haarlem. I just wonder will the bulbs all gone at the time?

Clea May 6th, 2003 06:12 PM

Unfortunately the bloom season for tulips ends in May. Even in the fields, which are usually covered between March and April will not be as beautiful.

r_shum May 7th, 2003 01:20 AM

Too bad. Should I cancel the day trip from Amsterdam to Harrlem & Leiden or change to somewhere else?

Clea May 7th, 2003 04:22 PM

Have you visited Volendam? It is close to Amsterdam and is a quaint fishing village with windmills and beautiful sailboats scatter all across the North Sea. Also Utrecht a beautiful small city. You can stroll along the Cannal which is brightly lite up at night and have tons of different restaurants and pubs to stop in along the way. Wow just thinking of the ambience makes me wish I was there right now! I enjoyed them both much better than Amsterdam, so much so that on my second visit I stayed in Utrecht and did a day trip to Amsterdam.

FAMOUSUNCLEART Aug 29th, 2003 09:45 AM

Any update on this topic (Tulip Bulbs)? I am going on Monday and need an update.

SirGallahad Aug 29th, 2003 12:03 PM

I had no problems in January bringing tulips back to the U.S. - the chipmunks loved them!